'37 Plymouth

Xlarashun

You have some fun in your future...! Probably a few busted knuckles too, but fun none the less. 

B)

• Like 1

Judging from the steering column,the previous owner was hot rodding it. What drivetrain is in it?

Congrads on scoring it and the 57. I don't understand why someone would want to do away with the most unique feature of the car especially as rare as it is but I guess the owner calls the shots. Good luck keep us posted on the progress.

3 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

Congrads on scoring it and the 57. I don't understand why someone would want to do away with the most unique feature of the car especially as rare as it is but I guess the owner calls the shots. Good luck keep us posted on the progress.

Chances are neither the previous owner or the guy he bought the car from had any idea how rare it was. It was probably just a "old car" to them.

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Chances are neither the previous owner or the guy he bought the car from had any idea how rare it was. It was probably just a "old car" to them.

Yea possibly, a lot of narrow minded people in the car hobbies too. Some see no value in a car or truck if it's not their favorite brand or if it doesn't fall into a year range they think is cool. Sometimes you can buy parts and cars from these people at a bargin if they don't ruin or trash them.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

don't take this the wrong way...but it is still an old car.....AND..do we know for sure he did that work or maybe he bought it that way, saw the work entailed to bring it online...sold it down river...cars with this type of work started often change hands a few times before they ever get put on the road..and well, some never do 

12 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

don't take this the wrong way...but it is still an old car....

And it will always be a old car.

To some people it will be more,or less,depending on their POV. I personally know people that think any car older than 5 years old is junk. Give one a nice original 32 Ford 3 window coupe,and they will sell it to the crusher without even thinking about it.

I had a 19 year old kid here weedwhacking my back lot last week,and he was wanting me to let him haul off all my parts and project cars to the crusher,and offered to do it and split the money with me. This includes my 33 Plymouth coupe,my P-15 coupe,my 42 Dodge coupe,and my complete and original 49 Chrysler Windsor coupe.  He was especially hot to haul off my 50 Ford tudor 100 percent complete parts car because it was already on my car trailer. Said he would "do that one today and get it out of your way and free up  your trailer for you if you let me use your trailer."

He did want to buy my 37 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 with the modern chassis and drivetrain,though. Offered me 100 bucks for it. Wanted to turn it into a mud race truck.

His father just paid right at 50 grand for a new half-ton Ford 4x4 pu,and he thought that was a good buy.

His dad might do well to buy the kid a personality transplant.      Oh well......

• Like 1

My luck that kid would be studying City/County jobs and making straight A's. One day have a job with county zoning commision or something and then end up actually making me get rid of my project cars.

11 minutes ago, dpollo said:

His dad might do well to buy the kid a personality transplant.      Oh well......

At 6 foot 6 or 7,he is his daddy's little boy.

Where do you think he got it from? Recent high school graduate that claims to read at a 3rd grade level. He seems to think that's all he needs. His goal is to get a job as a mechanic at a new car dealership,and just draw a paycheck the rest of his life.

If he gets one,he is going to end up being the guy that washes the cars,delivers customer cars,changes oil,etc,etc. Since he doesn't read he has never learned how to even sign on a computer because "computers are a waste of time".

Seems like his genius father,who drives a dump truck,would have told him all new cars have computers and you need to be able to read to test them and to find out what is wrong with new cars.

Basically,he is not trainable because he smugly thinks he already knows everything he needs to know.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Basically,he is not trainable because he smugly thinks he already knows everything he needs to know.

When I was a teenager I did know everything there was to know. Then when I was somewhat over 20 I suddenly learned that the everything I thought I knew as a teenager had no meaning in an adult world. I should have listened to my dad.

• Like 3

I agree with, Don. The older I got, the SMARTER my Dad got!

Walt

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

I agree with, Don. The older I got, the SMARTER my Dad got!

Walt

Yeah,maybe you and Don are right,but there is one truism that can't be denied,"You can't fix stupid.",and anybody in this day and age that considers being able to read and write is a waste of time is "two ooh" Stoopid.

Let me ask you this,given the advantages and opportunities given the typical teen of today,how many do you know that have never been on a computer and think computers are "stupid"?

I know this because it came up when he was dogging me to let him sell engines,transmissions,and whole cars for scrap and I tried to tell him it's foolish to sell stuff for pennies on the dollar,and he snorted and said "You ain't never going to find anybody to buy that junk,so you might as well sell it for scrap." When I told him I could sell it all on the internet,he got a puzzled look on his face and said " Maybe. I don't know nothing about no internet,but who buys scrap but the scrap man?".

He is untrainable. Worked for a friend of mine in a commercial garage for a few weeks,and he had to let this kid go because he kept making the same mistakes over and over,and no matter how many times he told the kid to do something a different way,the kid kept doing it the same way and screwing things up. Stupid stuff like putting lug nuts in the socket on an impact wrench and trying to start threading them with the impact on a customer car. I know of at least two times he did this and got the nuts started cross-threaded after doing it the first time and being told to not do it again.

BTW,he has also already been let go by a local GM dealer. This is supposed to be his first week with another GM dealer. Should be interesting to see how long it takes him to come back by needing money,and offering to haul my "old junk" off to the crusher for half the cash.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

your best bet...cut the string on that kite and watch it fade in the distance.....

Already happened. He only worked 4 hours the first day and then came to the house and told me his mother had called him and wants him to come home to help her. Said he would be back the next day if his mother didn't need him again.

Didn't come back the next day either,and when I called him on the 3rd day to get him to return my needle nosed pliers I lent him to cut the whacker string,he told me his mama would need him again that day,too.

Guess I worked him too hard. Since he had told me he had his own grass-cutting biz in high school,I showed him how to start and reload my weedwhacker,and went into the house. Went out to check on him maybe a half-hour later,and everywhere he had cut he had left the grass 4 or 5 inches tall. When I asked him "WTF?",he told me "Oh,I just cut the high at first,and then go back later to get the low stuff." I told him,"No,when I am paying you by the hour,you cut it all right down to the dirt right while you are cutting it. There are no "go backs". You do it while you are standing over it.

Went back to check on him later,and he cut it to the ground in places,but then he either forgot or purposely started leaving it 4 or 5 inches tall again to sandbag the job so he could get more hours in and get more pay. Also,I caught him running the weedwhacker at maybe half-throttle,which means it didn't cut the thick stuff worth a damn,and was taking a lot longer. He even insisted he was running it wide open until I took  it away from him and pulled the throttle trigger and ran it wide open. Then he started saying he was running it slower to keep from ruining the engine. On a 2-stroke week whacker.

Regardless,he heard his mama calling,and hasn't been back.

I am not sure I should reply  ..... but here goes.   A friend of mine and I went into a bar and lo and behold here is one of our former students.

We invite him to join us for a short beer and he says he is going to try his luck in Australia.  I say, " You need to apply for a Visa to get into Australia "

He says , " No problem, I have MasterCard"            dp      

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

He sounds like the first person I would go to when something turns up missing.  He knows what you've got, where you keep it, and how to sell it fast. Keep an eye on that one.

I will. He just might be stupid enough to try something like that without considering the consequences if/when he loses his new job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

When I was a teenager I did know everything there was to know. Then when I was somewhat over 20 I suddenly learned that the everything I thought I knew as a teenager had no meaning in an adult world. I should have listened to my dad.

I once overheard an Amish business man saying something like that - he said:  "I should have started my business when I was 19, because I knew everything then."

19 minutes ago, dpollo said:

I am not sure I should reply  ..... but here goes.   A friend of mine and I went into a bar and lo and behold here is one of our former students.

We invite him to join us for a short beer and he says he is going to try his luck in Australia.  I say, " You need to apply for a Visa to get into Australia "

He says , " No problem, I have MasterCard"            dp      

Thanks for posting, Dave . I laughed and laughed...As his former teacher, it must have caused you to chuckle as well, although perhaps inconspicuously at the time... :)

• Like 1

The previous owner is an Excellent mechanic/fabricator.just got a bit older, and, his wife wanted to move to Texas! So, He had to get rid of it.

It has a Mustang II front end. power rack, 8" rear, etc. The engine is a Mopar 3.9 V6. It was the '92 NHRA giveaway engine that was built by Arrow Racing, the same people that built the Viper engines for Dodge. Aluminum intake, Holley 4bbl, Headers, Conventional Ignition (No Computers) ,P/S, P/B A/C! All new, Never used!

And a Dakota 5 spd as well!

The rear deck was Rusted below the rumble area, so, He just cut the lower section out and was going to put a regular trunk lid on it. It still has the rollup back window and most of the parts for the rumble seat are in it.Left front fender has a minor dent in it.

• Like 2