'40 Chrysler Engine questions

ThriftyT

I am waiting the arrival of a really nice '40 Chrysler Windsor Coupe.      From what I can find out it has the original 241?....    I'm having a heck of a time figuring out if it's a 23" or 25" block.  One of the few small changes I'd like to do is split the exhaust, and I'd like to order the manifolds.   If someone could help me I'd sure appreciate it.   

Thanks in advance fellas 

The 23" engines never got over 230 cubes, the 1940 Chrysler supposedly had only the 25" 241 cube six cylinder engine plus the straight eight.........but Gregs right, I'd wait till you physically see it in person with a tape measure in hand...........btw welcome aboard.........regards from sunny Sth Grafton NSW, Australia 

Welcome Thrifty. I have the 241 in my '41 Windsor club coupe, a great engine.

I did put a split exhaust on my long bock 218 in my 1938 Dodge and it really helps the engine breathe. The '41 is basically original, so the exhaust is stock on it.

Your  engine  started out with a 3 3/8 bore and a 4 1/2 inch stroke.     It is a 241 but not to be confused with the 241 used in 35 6 &7 .

The Spitfire, with or without the logo on the head has a 3 7/16 bore  for 251 cubic inches.    Bore yours .060 over and you will have  3 7/16

Overdrive is a great option..   The R10.....  52 to 56 would be my choice.    30 % speed reduction,  a bolt in  and nice driveability , kick down etc.

although the one originally used in a 40  Chrysler will do the job too.

13 hours ago, ThriftyT said:

Thanks guys.    What brands of manifolds did you all use? 

Any of you have Overdrive?

I had the stock manifold split and modified to a dual outlet manifold. My '41 has the vacamatic semiautomatic transmission and came standard with 3.54 rear gears which are fine for the speeds I drive the car.