'57 Plaza!

Xlarashun

Well, I am FINALLY going to get to my Plaza!

Flat 6/3 on tree, Dealer added heater, and, someones idea of a color change!

They shot 'Orange' over the Very Pretty Baby Blue and did a Partial Red/black trim interior. Never had a Radio! The dash is So smooth!

Possibly going with a Slant/4spd out of a /64 Valiant. Has the same output Flange.Just need to put a separate pull handle for reverse. SUPER Straight body with two small rust spots and one scratch on right fin! More as time.Progress Occurs!

Photos! We need to see photos!

I put one up as my avatar. I am haeding over to take some new Pictures, etc. OK?

P.S. I ALSO picked up a '37 Plymouth Rumble seat coupe a while back, and it is on the list to get worked on!

Edited by Xlarashun

I would take it to Darnell's garage, step in front of it and say,   "OK... SHOW ME"! 

You know your nickname is going to be "Arnie" now.  Just sayn'.

(Before we start splitting hairs, I know Christine was a 58 Fury but hey this isn't the forward look forum and I rarely get to EXORCISE my Christine humor)

Is that you Cunningham???

Not Quite with the "Arnie" thing. We have a guy around here that does have a '58 Sport Fury And, He shows up at shows dressed like him!

The Plaza will be going back to the Blue it is Supposed to be ASAP! My buddy the painter, owes  me right now, SO, I think I will have him take that Crappy Orange off of it and get it done!

Right after I get the engine swapped, etc.

I DID have another '57, 2 dr post 440/auto, and Brown,  that we nicknamed "Charlene, Christines' Older, Meaner Sister! " Had to sell it. You know how it is with New Babies and such!

1 hour ago, busycoupe said:

I may have missed something, but did you say why you are planning an engine swap?  Is the original missing or burned out?  The original flat head must have similar output to a '64 slant six from a Valiant. .... Just curious.

I wondered about that too.  The 64 Valiant puts out 101 HP at 4400 rpm and the original flat 6 puts out 132 HP at 3600 rpm.

The Flathead still runs, just need to put a wrist pin in #6 and throw a set of rings and bearings in it.

The Slant runs great, is Much easier to fix if it gives us trouble, and, I already have a clifford intake, headers, etc, etc.

I also have a newer Slant/auto that could go in a bit easier.

You are going to do what you are going to do  but before you wind up with several piles of incompatible parts consider this :

Your Overdrive ( R10 J ) fits 57 to 59 only.  The bell housing in your car may accept the V 8 of this era, so if you really want a highway cruiser, installing a V8... like an EARLY 318 or a 277 or similar engine with the eight bolt crankshaft is the way to go.

Your '64  Slant six, if it is a 170, (Blue engine) will not have enough power.  If it is a 225,(Red) it will have about the same power as the 230 but will be more durable.  It will not fit your present bell housing or transmission. which means you have a cable shifted Torqueflight  to somehow control from your column shift.   Later Torqueflites are lever shifted so would work better for you but none of these has a parking brake which means you will be changing out your 3.73 differential.  1957 Automatics were air cooled, so you have to come up with a trans cooler,  if you are using a later trans.

A 230 from a 57000 mile '57  (4000 lb car) may be showing more wear than just  a bad wrist pin. ( not a common problem with these engines but I can think of several other troubles which will make just as much noise)

Your car is a good example of a now rare automobile so think carefully before you tear it all apart.  If you just want to drive and enjoy it, rebuild and reinstall the 230. With Overdrive, it will take you down any highway you wish to travel.   It will not win many drag races but nor will a Slant six.       Not trying to rain on your parade or be a know it all but I have learned a lot of lessons in the school of hard knocks.

Proceed with caution.  Get good advice from someone who has done engine swaps.  Don't get in over your head.

Edited by dpollo
correct punctuation
  • Like 6

Not my first Rodeo with these. The Poly/5spd is probably where I am heading with this, just did not really feel like raising the tunnel for clearance, or reworking front seat to clear shifter.

If I keep the Pushbutton, they are easily hid under dash, and leave shifter and third pedal in to fool the "All-Knowing" car show critics!

I have access to 5-6 B body 8-3/4's and will go that route, due to Not being enthused about shearing rear hubs, etc.

Definetly going with the disc conversion before I get to drive it.

The slant is a 225, I have cam/intake/headers etc for it. Last one pulled 2900# '64 Dart 11:40's all day long.

I will be rebuilding the Flat 6 and Driving it stock for a while, then, it will probably end up in the Tall T pickup.

• Like 1

And, as I am in the process of building 'T' bucket # 21, Engine swaps/trans setups and clearance issues are not a big thing.

My "23 Three door Touring car has a Twin sidedraft Solex Volvo 4cyl w auto/OD in it for now and have been thinking about changing it out for a 2.8 V6/auto that I have.

Just so the wife could drive it, should something happen to me when we go on a Long cruise. (Different states, etc)

Edited by Xlarashun

Sounds like you are having fun,   Wish I had your energy anymore.  Good luck.  dp