First time brake bleeding

BobB

So, after having trouble free brakes for the first four years of Pilothouse ownership, I pushed the pedal to the floor and absolutely nothing happened.

Found evidence of a leak inside the rear driver wheel hub, so I took it apart to find that the line connecting the upper and lower cylinders had worn through due to contact with the hub (picture). I replaced the line and have done my best to ensure adequate clearance to prevent another wear problem.

I then proceeded to bleed the brakes starting with the rear passenger. I was pretty surprised by how dirty the fluid was (pictures of first bottle and all I took in bleeding both sides of the rear brakes).

I assume this is not good even though I had absolutely no problems with the brakes for the last four years.

What risks and/or added problems should be expected if I proceed on and leave the nasty fluid alone?

What process is recommended to remove/flush the old fluid?

It was a good experience to fix the problem and bleed them myself this first time, but I would certainly consider taking it to a professional for any thorough cleaning that is needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.  Bob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did you every replace the original lines, or the previous owner? If the lines appear to be in good shape, I would flush the system by bleeding all 4 corners multiple times until everything runs clean, and after about a month check your fluid condition, if it's all dark like your old stuff again, then start charging the lines, rubber first in my opinion..but might as well do everything if it's time.

50 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Did you every replace the original lines, or the previous owner? . . .

I think he has replaced the previous owner otherwise it wouldn't be his car. :)

Concur that the lines, if not replaced relatively recently but either BobB or some previous owner, probably need to be attended to.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TodFitch said:

I think he has replaced the previous owner otherwise it wouldn't be his car. :)

Concur that the lines, if not replaced relatively recently but either BobB or some previous owner, probably need to be attended to.

30,000 comedians outta work and this guys trying to be funny! LOL :lol:  That iPhone get s me into grammatical trouble all the time!

Thanks everybody!

Looks like I have more work ahead than I was planning. Gotta do it right, though. Appreciate all the experience contained in your advice.

Regards, Bob