Damaged piston

Reg Evans

Nope, since they aren't broke I decided not to fix them.  There aren't any ridges at the top of the cylinders and  they were all close to 110lbs ea. while #1 was 50lbs. 

I will be honing #1 a little

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reg Evans said:

Nope, since they aren't broke I decided not to fix them.  There aren't any ridges at the top of the cylinders and  they were all close to 110lbs ea. while #1 was 50lbs. 

I will be honing #1 a little

I was under the impression that if an engine ran long enough for the rings to seat and had to come apart for some reason it would be recommended to hone the cylinders and replace the rings. Pretty much the "seal" had been broken so to speak. Fresh crosshatch and rigs would ensure proper seating and sealing.

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

I was under the impression that if an engine ran long enough for the rings to seat and had to come apart for some reason it would be recommended to hone the cylinders and replace the rings. Pretty much the "seal" had been broken so to speak. Fresh crosshatch and rigs would ensure proper seating and sealing.

That could be so but I haven't removed the pistons on cylinders 2-6 so nothing has changed with them except seeing a little daylight for a while the head is off.

• 2 weeks later...

So far sooooooooo good !   She's back together now and running surprisingly strong.  The throttle response is lightning fast and the engine pulls harder than the 251 in my old Yellow truck.  I am happy  happy  happy !!!  I'm going to drive it for a couple days and then check the compression on all cylinders. 

1 new piston 2.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans
  • Like 10

"So far sooooooooo good !   She's back together now and running surprisingly strong.  The throttle response is lightning fast and the engine pulls harder than the 251 in my old Yellow truck.  I am happy  happy  happy !!!  I'm going to drive it for a couple days and then check the compression on all cylinders. "

Reg,why tempt fate? You are happy with it now,so how are you going to be any happier if the numbers are high than you are now?

On the other hand,if just ONE cylinder is just a tiny bit low,chances are you are going to be bummed until you fix that one cylinder.

The old expression "leave well enough alone" is still a bit of wisdom we all need to heed occasionally.

• Like 4

I may have related this before so bear with me.  My uncle had a 47 Pontiac.  I rember as a kid a guy with a panel van truck showing up one Saturday morning and working on the Pontiacs flathead  6 engineengine.  It was smoking and making noise.  The head was pulled and a diagnosis of broken rings scored cylinders and piston slap was rendered. Along with a worn connecting rod.  With a tool that looked like a small oil well derrick, one cylinder was bored .020, one was bored .030, and one was honed, and a new standard piston was fitted.  This was the one that was slapping.  So the engine went back together with four standard pistons, one 20 over, one 30 over and one new standard con rod bearing on a slightly polished crank throw. Ran fine stopped smoking and was quiet.  I guess at 6.4 to 1 car, and not much than 2800 rpm , these old lumps are pretty tolerant of driveway repair techniques. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Knucklehead.......WTF

Reg,IMHO the old maxim that states 'If it ain't broken don't try to fix it" applies. If you look hard enough for something that is just a hair away from perfection,you will find it.  This stuff is mechanical and complex. There will always be something somewhere that isn't at peak perfection,but still performs so well it isn't worth "fixing".

MY opinion only,and worth every dime you paid for it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Reg,IMHO the old maxim that states 'If it ain't broken don't try to fix it" applies. If you look hard enough for something that is just a hair away from perfection,you will find it.  This stuff is mechanical and complex. There will always be something somewhere that isn't at peak perfection,but still performs so well it isn't worth "fixing".

Arthur, I agree with that old maxim and have been practicing it forever.  That's why I said it in post #76

Edited by Reg Evans

53 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

KH, U the MAN!!  After reading this thread I'm thinking about de-coking every engine I own. What could possibly go wrong?? :)

On 8/12/2017 at 10:47 AM, MackTheFinger said:

KH, U the MAN!!  After reading this thread I'm thinking about de-coking every engine I own. What could possibly go wrong?? :)

Nothing,if you are talking about  dripping water into your carb as the engine is warmed up and running,and are careful to not pour too much water at any one time.

I did this to a friends restored WW-2 Jeep that had been sitting for years and only driven in parades at a little above idle. Before doing this the fastest he could drive up the hill near his house was 35 MPH. He was able to drive up that hill at close to 45 MPH after blowing all the carbon out,and it ran smoother,too.

If you have never done this before you will be amazed at all the black smoke that comes out of your tailpipe.

If you are talking about something else,you need to ask someone else because I don't have a clue.

2 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Dripping water into the carb works, I've done it many times. I'm sure you remember the JC Whitney "water injection" setup. Varying results reported from that one.

IIRC,the Nazi's developed water injection for their fighters shortly before WW-2. They had build fighters with piston engines that would fly so high the thin air would choke them down,so they came up with the idea of using water injection to pump water/oyxgen into the cylinders to increase the power.

I remember there was more than one outfit offering kits for modern cars when I was living in Denver in the mid-70's. By then the EPA regs had choked the cars down so much there were people buying new 6 cylinder Darts and getting 6 mpg with no power. I was working at a Chrysler dealership at the time,and between the low compression and the "Lean Burn",even little old ladies that had been buying Dodges all their lives would be talking nasty to you because you couldn't fix their cars. You can imagine what happened when you added that problem to Denver's mile high elevation.

The water injection was a huge help,and it was about the only thing that could help at that time without the enviro-nazi's jumping all over you.

• Like 1