New to the group

Blueskull88

o8958473Hey all I just wanted to say hello and ask a few Questions. 

A little about myself.

I'm an Oldsmobile guy but I recently (as of yesterday) acquired a 1952 Plymouth cranbrook 4 dr.  I'm currently on a strict budget and my oldsmobiles were way out of my price range... buddy is cleaning house due to a divorce (C#@t... but whatever) and I landed a his ride for a steal.  I called my guru cousin that owns a performance shop and asked for his advice on the car.  It is a PROJECT.... Solid body though. Currently has a chevy 230 inline 6 out of a 62 truck so the fire wall has been altered to fit the long Chevy 6. There's been a lot of other mods and I'll post pics later. 

now the question...  Cousin says he has a 270 hemi that is sitting at his shop and he hinted that I could have it. Needs overhaul... but it's there...  will it fit? Is it a pain in the ass?  I've also heard that the hemi's EXPENSIVE. Is it worth it?  It's not going to be a resto... but I do like the period correct hot rodding aspect of doing a project like this. 

thoughts ?

7 hours ago, Blueskull88 said:

I'm a pinstriper and sign painter so it's going to be my own personal canvas

I'm looking forward to that part. Personally, leave the Hemi out of the equation until you have the excess funds. Get it safely rolling on existing power and start painting. 

• Like 1

I think it is a mistake to buy a project car purely because you got a deal on it. You are NOT going to get  a deal on the parts and labor to put it on the road,and since you have no passion for the car,chances are it will never be finished. Even if you do finish it,you end up with a car you really didn't want,so how can you ever be happy with it?

You can get away with doing that if the car you buy is a running and driving car you can go ahead and put on the road,but projects in addition to hours of work and lots of money,project cars require passion and determination.

Do yourself a favor and sell it to somebody that wants it,and then put that money in the bank and keep adding to it until you have enough money to buy a Oldsmobile that you do want.

• Like 1

I measured up a 52 (mine) for a 241 Red Ram and it would fit well except for a couple of major obstacles.  The steering box, and starter interfere with each other  and the driver's side is pretty tight generally. The pedals must clear the bell housing .  The oil pan will also need a major alteration to clear the tie rod.

Years ago, I put a 283 Chev in a similar car since there were only minor issues with clearances  notably the driver's side  exhaust  manifold. 

I also put a slant six in by using the rear sump pan available on vans.    Both were good swaps but my choice today would be the original flathead. 

• Like 1

I want to clarify that the Chevy straight 6 is not running and literally in the middle of mock up. So, changing power plants is my main focus... knowing how much the hemi will be to rebuild is definitely leaning me away from that engine

I also want to clear up the fact that just because I said I'm an Oldsmobile guy that doesn't mean that I'm not a car guy in general... we all know what happens when you ASSuME.  Here is some back story on the car. A friend I've known for 20 years is the 2nd owner of the car and it was purchased from the original owners family after he passed away by his father as a gift for when he was old enough to work on it. So I've seen this car from the time it was under a tarp to running and back to under a tarp... on a side note my father retired from Chrysler after 32 years of service. So I've had an eye on this car for years...  I love cars. All makes and models. It's been 10 years since I've had a ride...  hot rodding is about getting a car and making it cool.  My wife told me to get this car! She wants to help so right off the bat it has become part of the family!  

St. Louis. But my wife went to semo so we frequent cape a lot...

Well you stated above that it is a canvas for you to do as you like. That not only applies to the paint job it applies to the whole car, drive train, interior etc.. Good luck and have fun with it. And as always show us some pictures please.

The terms "strict budget" and "hemi rebuild" aren't compatible. I agree with dpollo, my choice would be a flat six. A little hop up and it would be a fun car and on the road fairly quickly. Next choice would be a 318. I like them  all mopar.

• Like 2

I dig what your putting down. The factory flat is gone... unfortunately...  thought about the 318 though. Just trying to see what people have done and which road I want to head down. I like the idea of hot rodding with what they would be doing back in the day but I also am thinking about going modern for fuel injection. Just a thought.  

7 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

@Blueskull88 I understand what you mean about being a "car guy". I'm not brand-loyal when it comes to cars but admit to being a bit prejudiced about motorcycles

I sell Harleys so I get it. I'm not knocking metrics but they definitely lack a certain something... (balls):cool:

• 4 weeks later...

A 270 Hemi would have the ultimate "cool factor", but not cheap.  On the other hand, having access to a free core is a huge plus.  The best advice I think would come from member "Wayfarer on this forum.  He runs this business:

http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

I can also agree with you Blueskull88 about being a diverse car guy, if it moves with an engine I like it! Many on this forum appreciate and have an eye for the heritage and history these cars bring (not saying you don't though). If I was in your shoes and looking to make this a one-of-a-kind project, I'd go the fuel injected route. Especially if the car needs a lot of work. If it doesn't and has many original parts and is a fairly good condition then I'd personally work to get it back to close as stock with your own spin off complementing your budget. In the end it not only showcases you as a car guru, but also brings the heart of many to that era to enjoy what it was to own that era specific vehicle. 

On the other hand if I'm guessing correctly without any pictures I too would like to find a builder and fuel inject it! Personally I'd go the route of a 5.3 turbo Vortec engine. Many block in the yards and plenty of aftermarket goodies to get you well over the horsepower ($3,000 for 1,200HP) for you try and steer in a straight line. These cars are good platforms to muscle up, but going to a car show and seeing the same engine (SBC or variances there of) in everyone else's ride detracts me to do the same.

It's your car, enjoy it!, and post pics of the fun!

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2017 at 10:58 AM, MackTheFinger said:

@Blueskull88 I understand what you mean about being a "car guy". I'm not brand-loyal when it comes to cars but admit to being a bit prejudiced about motorcycles

I sell Harleys so I get it. I'm not knocking metrics but they definitely lack a certain something... (balls):cool:

Depends on what strict budget means. Anything you do is going to cost a lot. Building a flat six isn't cheap either. An inline chevy in that car just doesn't seem right, but if it can be made to run, I'd stick with that. It will be your cheapest option. I ride too but I'm partial to Italian machines. I have yet to see a Harley go around a corner like my Ducs and Aprilias.

I've owned a few dozen motorcycles of many different makes in my life. Right now I have 3 pairs of other makes and 3 Harleys. I can't really say why but I'm partial to shovelheads. Have been since I got my first one 45 years ago. IMO they look, sound, and feel like a motorcycle should. On the other hand my older brother loves Goldwings. They fit his idea of what motorcycles and motorcycling are all about. Everyone finds something about a particular vehicle that resonates with them. There's something for everyone and our ideas sometimes change. I useta think '40's Mopars were ugly as anything but now I love 'em.. :)

If it were me and you want more performance than a straight six - I'd drop a mopar small block in it with an auto trans. I prefer keeping the drivetrain all one make - but that's me. Lots of 318's and 360's in most bone yards or find a good running example from a private individual. Folks in the car hobby usually have a good runner or builder core enginelaying around.