Meadowbrook Power Steering

meadowbrook

Hi.

Is it reasonable to try to add  power steering to a 50  Dodge Meadowbrook by using an original pump for a 50s  Chrysler ? Is there a steering box that is recommended that would work? 

Short answer  in my mind would be no.... because power steering units were in their infancy in 1951 and the geometry of the  Dodge was different from Chrysler.  Then there is the difficulty of dealing with parts that have been obsolete for 50 years.

What I would really like to investigate is the electric assist units that are in use now.    However, someone out there may have the formula for making this all work.

• Like 1

Yes it would be nice if a member with the motor out would look into adding electric power steering.  Id think the unit could mount in the engine compartment on brackets of some kind.  Id try it but dont want to pull the motor and all that.

I looked into electric power steering, but the instructions said to keep the unit dry and away from heat, which means not under the hood, where there would be space for it.  If I mounted the unit under the dashboard, I would have to rework, reroute, get rid of, the shifting lever shaft.  

I wound up with a power steering gearbox which replaced the manual box, after much cobbling and trial-and-error.  

The early 50s Mopar power steering was built into the steering shaft.  I don't know if a shaft like that would fit without major modification.   

(Some of the guys go to rack-and-pinion steering, which is available with power assist.  The steering shaft would then connect to the r&p with U-joints and extensions.  Still a lot of work.) 

Edited by DonaldSmith
additional info

Driving a 50s era car today ,  we know why Charles Atlas courses were so popular in the early 50s.   I loved those 97 pound weakling ads.

• Like 1

Meadowbrook.......it really depends on how badly you want or need P/S as it can be done......you could look around for a steering box that has the power assist built in such as that used in most US cars from the mid 60's, something from Mopar, GM, Frod or whatever....you would have to modify/shorten/adapt the steering column to suit then also mount a P/S pump which may entail being able to use the standard Mopar single groove pulley or find a double pulley to run a second belt .......or there is the power Cavalier rack & pinions that are used which still require the adaption/modification to the steering column etc........adapting a 1950"s style power steering which as far as I know were using rams etc on the tie rods may also be possible but overall it really depends on how much work you can do as I don't think its going to be a basic bolt in job.....the pump mounting would be the least of the work as everything depends on the steering box and how it fits...............I know that there are a few aftermarket power steering boxes made to suit the 55-57 Chev market and these are brand new, current build compact, or relatively compact design boxes that might be a good fit in the 1950 Dodge, these also would have steering columns that would have a similar "design" to the Mopar original so might be worth checking 55-57 Chev resto companies............dunno if this is much help.......andyd       

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I will rebuild my steering  box so maybe that helps. My car was owned by a woman prior to me so I can't imagine her trying to do a 3 point turn  with this, steering I need two hands if stationary on rough concrete

first ascertain that the box need rebuilt....there at many components in the steering that could add drag to your steering efforts that would need attention over that of your steering sector.   Do look at the sector to frame mount for bad isolation issues.  The R&P upgrade is slightly invasive and will require column cut to fit...not sure how that would interfere with your shifting.  I have updated a few to R&P but I also upgrade steering columns and transmissions for the most part also so could not relate stock shifting experience.  Never been a fan of the three on the tree, but that is purely a personal choice, not a statement against its effectiveness.

Out of curiosity, what size tires are you running?  My '50 Plymouth had modern 215 size radials on it when I bought it, and it was a real workout to steer....when I switched to narrower 7.10R15's, it was like night and day!   These old steering boxes were designed for, and work best with, narrower tires.

I would think you could put the electric steering unit in the motor compartment and enclose it with ventilation to the inside of the car'  But again is it worth it.  I have a GM power steering unit that I think was off a 70s Pontiac and plan on seeing if I can make it work as someone posted here awhile back.. I have a chevy 350 in there so I suspect it may interfere. Anyhow isnt this what this car sickness is all about ?

What about adapting a ram system from another make? GM and Ford also had rams on Corvettes, Impalas, Mustangs, etc.  Mount up a power steering pump/generator and make up a ram system for below.