Remanufactured Engine Tags

Mark D

This tag is mounted to the (assumed) rebuilt engine in my convertible.  The tag is mounted on the block over the original serial number location which has been machined off the block.  I've read here that lots of places rebuilt engines, (even sears had them I believe) and as you can see from the image its hard to see what may have been written on the tag. I have checked the stroke and confirmed it is set up as a 230.  Stampings may indicate it was bored over slightly, thus the 235?  From what I can tell this car spent its entire life in Massachusetts.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this tag shape and may have a better image of what else was printed on it.

IMG_4311.JPG

My car had an aluminum plate riveted over the  engine number.  I have lost the place, but it was a rectangular shape about a half in high an two inches long.  The number on it was 614623.  The original block number is P23 star 879745. I know that this is a Plymouth number, but I believe that my engine was rebuilt as a 230.  My car has fluid drive, therefore it would need a 230 crank to work with the fluid drive coupling.  ... Like yours, my car has always been in Massachusetts.

• Like 1