Bellhousing details for transmission swaps

wayfarer

Ok, now that I have your attention, it appears that there is a lack of a common thread providing information for using something other than the oem trans in either car or truck applications. At present, it appears that some folks could use some basic bellhousing details for their projects so I'll start with the two that I have handy. Feel free to add to the thread with whatever L6 manual bellhousing that you have and give a short narrative.

Casting #  871357,    oem application unknown,    no rear mounts,   Nominal  4" ID hole and nominal  7¾" depth.

Casting # 1799592,    truck bell with sloped mounts, has both L6 and V8 block patterns.  Nominal 5" hole and nominal 8-3/16" deep.

Edited by wayfarer
  • Like 4

I'll gladly add to this list. I have one bell loose at the moment and two more hanging off engines that need to be removed, plus one still in a chassis. All truck bells and I know at least two or three variants. I might suggest though is some pictures of the bellhousings, perhaps a simple diagram explaining how to measure to ensure that everyone measures identically, and perhaps at least a picture, if not a dimensioned pattern of the existing holes in the back of the bellhousing.

• Like 1

Casting # 1688997 57 Passenger car, no rear mounts, 4.115 bore and 9.5" deep

IMG_1578.JPG

Casting # 15017061 54+ Truck V8 housing with rear mounts. 4.740 bore and 8 5/16" deep.

IMG_1575.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought that more folks would respond to this thread as there is always so much banter when discussing (cussing?) trans swaps. If you have a bellhousing, how about taking a minute and posting some details for the next guy pondering a swap? The info may also prove useful for anyone just searching for bellhousing info for a stock package.

Edited by wayfarer
  • Like 1

Casting #     871357-6       Early 50's Plymouth?     Rear horizontal mounts    4 1/8" ID Hole    7 3/4" Depth 

Casting #     864588-3       1948 Plymouth?             Rear horizontal mounts     4 1/8" ID Hole      7 3/4" Depth

Casting #     579298-6       1952 Truck?                   Side vertical mounts          4 3/4" ID Hole     7 1/4 Depth

DSC07725.jpg

DSC07718.jpg

DSC07721.jpg

Edited by rekbender
misspelling
  • Like 1

At the moment all my bellhousings have a a trans and engine attached. There may be one At my sons house, I'll check when I can. I think this thread is a good idea whether you go the T-5 route or choose another. Good info to have.

Yeah, we really need to keep this thread focused on BELLHOUSINGS. There simply is no need for any other discussion that a future searcher would have to wade through. Remember, this is also useful for any other trans swap and/or any oem package that someone may be trying to piece together.

Thanks to those who have offered information.

• Like 5

These are 9 year old pictures of my 1936 P2 bellhousing. I didn't take measurements, but maybe the pics will help someone identify another like it in the future. 

Casting #    651252-5         Motor mounts are attached by brackets at the bottom

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wayfarer said:

Yeah, we really need to keep this thread focused on BELLHOUSINGS. There simply is no need for any other discussion that a future searcher would have to wade through. Remember, this is also useful for any other trans swap and/or any oem package that someone may be trying to piece together.

Perhaps a mod can edit the title of the thread to reflect it as a search for bellhousing information so the bias towards a particular swap can be removed.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 6:24 PM, wayfarer said:

Ok, now that I have your attention, it appears that there is a lack of a common thread providing information for using the t5 in either car or truck applications. At present, it appears that some folks could use some basic bellhousing details for their projects so I'll start with the two that I have handy. Feel free to add to the thread with whatever L6 manual bellhousing that you have and give a short narrative.

Casting #  871357,    oem application unknown,    no rear mounts,   Nominal  4" ID hole and nominal  7¾" depth.

Casting # 1799592,    truck bell with sloped mounts, has both L6 and V8 block patterns.  Nominal 5" hole and nominal 8-3/16" deep.

Wayfarer my 871357 does have rear mounts.   I don't know what application mine came from

I hadn't had a chance to dig out the bell housing I have to measure it up, but I just found some pictures I took of it a while back. Probably not all of the measurements that would be needed, but I can always dig it out and remeasure if someone needs it.

It's out of a '51 or '52 B-3-C truck and had a 4 speed attached. It looks like it's drilled for a 3 speed too.

P5010540.jpg

P5010535.jpg

P5010536.jpg

P5010537.jpg

P5010538.jpg

P5010539.jpg

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, wayfarer said:

I have no interest in starting a fight but when you start a thread - "    BW t-5 trans swap; bellhousing details"    and then post you want the thread to be focused on Bellhousing, I would suggest you poisoned the well before you started drilling. Id bet the farm lots wont even bother reading the thread. 

• Like 1