Cab/truck VIN serial number help

I've got a '48 cab and it's missing the plate in the drivers side door opening. It does have a tag screwed onto the firewall. It's mounted vertically just below the cowl drip rail.

This number is stamped into it   4712  67460.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by B1B Keven

that sounds like the cab #. the 39-47 truck cabs have the serial # of the vehicle and then the cab # which starts with the # of the year that cab was introduced. for instance my 46 and 47 #s both start with 41. The second 2 digits refer to the type of cab.

2 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

You should be able to go off the serial number on the front left of the frame. It should match the cab unless the cab has been swapped. 

I don't have the frame. The '50 I bought came with a complete '48 body. '50 doesn't have a title, the '48 does. I guess I need to wait for the title to arrive in the mail and hope it has the factory serial number on it.

53 minutes ago, B1B Keven said:

I guess I need to wait for the title to arrive in the mail and hope it has the factory serial number on it.

no kidding, out of my four trucks, only one had the correct number on the title.

I just sent for the build cards on two of them and "FCA" said it was typical for DMV's to use the block numbers on the titles. :huh:

I have been very cautious when looking for project vehicles any more. I specifically check titles to match the body tag and not the engine stamping. As tough as titles are getting to be to transfer around and the amount of scrutiny they receive on older vehicles around here - to me its worth it to have a good title to a matching body tag.

2 hours ago, B1B Keven said:

Mark, I'm looking for a '48 B1B or C tag.  I have a clear '50 B2C tag for trade?

I'll have to get up on the ladder to look tonight.

2 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

I have been very cautious when looking for project vehicles any more. I specifically check titles to match the body tag and not the engine stamping. As tough as titles are getting to be to transfer around and the amount of scrutiny they receive on older vehicles around here - to me its worth it to have a good title to a matching body tag.

I have a title for the '48. Just the tag is missing. I'm expecting the title in the mail this week. Hopefully is has the original serial number on it.

24 minutes ago, B1B Keven said:

I have a title for the '48. Just the tag is missing. I'm expecting the title in the mail this week. Hopefully is has the original serial number on it.

if it does you can just stamp a new plate and stick it on.