This Evening's Cruise...With Running Updates

keithb7

D25 gravel pans are smooth and the bumpers wrap around further than on the P15.
The bumper irons are different too... If you look closely, you'll see an extra pair of bumper bolts visible at the front.
As the blue car is in Canada, perhaps the bumpers were swapped at some time, using parts that were available locally?
For reference, here are a couple of pictures of a D25 coupe, here in the UK...

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)
  • Like 3

NICE CAR !    There are a number of D25s here locally  (Vancouver Island ).  At one time they were very commonplace. A treat to see now.

At a small local show, we had 2 D25s and a D24 for comparison.   ( when I organize shows, they are heavily weighted with Chrysler's products.

Edited by dpollo
error
  • Like 1

The big annual, local car show was yesterday and today. I have been putting off repairs, for fear of having to sit out the show. Thursday night I was like a kid on Christmas Eve.

The weekend events began on Friday at 5 pm where I headed down to register for the poker run. My wife and mother-in-law came along. We had a lot of fun. We followed instructions to 18 different stops around our city where we drew cards from a deck. Prizes were awarded for the best poker hands. We ended up with Flush of hearts, ace high. Not enough to win anything, but we sure had fun. Several stops were at Senior Villages. The old folks loved seeing the old cars. My 53 was a hit. Lots of waves smiles and horn honing ensued.

It was a hot night. Lots of stop and go traffic. If you've been to Kamloops you know we are surrounded by considerable hills in all directions. The old L6 held up well. I thought I might overheat climbing up the big hills, starting from a red light at the bottom. I think were close, but we did not overheat. I was able to get my speeds up again and she cooled down quickly. I have never overheated yet, so I am not sure where that happens on the temp gauge. Lots of other cars did overheat. Newer cars than mine did. I was a proud man, with my big old Chrysler puling them big hills.

At one stop, there was a gas station near by. My wife grabbed a poker card while I put in $30 gas. Sitting there getting gas, I am pretty sure I had fuel vaporizing in the fuel line while sitting. After the fuel up I was fuel starved for a bit, attempting to climb yet another hill. I came to a stop after the engine stalled.  No traffic, so I rolled backwards, pulled a reverse u-turn and glided back down the hill. Started the car, and burned through any fuel vapour.  Got to the bottom, turned around and pulled that hill no problem. I think I will get a longer fuel line and move it farther away from the manifolds. Maybe also wrap it in some heat insulation. We had fun and put about 60 miles on the car maybe that night.

Sat morning, today, I met with the local ACAA Vintage Car Club at 7am. We gathered to enter the car show all together. We paraded in to a full reserved bock in the downtown core. That was exciting. A 1931 plymouth was behind me, and a 1941 Dodge in front.  Here we are heading into town. I was pretty jacked up. 

Y-mzBRGTluH-5a21VkLODbDPay-fsLD5qQCBasfk

The blue 1941 Dodge was a nice car. Canadian built with a 218. The owner is 87. I am told he will forget more about L6 Mopar engines than I will probably ever learn. We had a great chat. He restored his '41, back in the 1983. He has since towed a RV trailer all the way across Canada and back to BC two times. He had pics of this rear tires dipping in the Pacific ocean in Victoria BC, and his front tires dipping in the Atlantic ocean in St. John's Newfoundland. He told me one trip, return was about 12,500 KM (7,767 miles). I was impressed to hear, he'd done it twice in the same car over the years.

XzoWMv0iGEKyLGE0ar3WQjL9x3wVK6T8EKhrxGWt

I picked his brain a bit about the car. I really enjoyed the gentleman's company. I look forward to spending more time with him at future car club events. I asked him how long his points and condenser lasted on the trip across Canada and back. He said he had no problem. He had spares but never used them. No problems with ignition system during either trip. I was again pretty impressed.  He said his buddies are doing the same cross Canada tour again now. He's be there with them but at 87 he decided to pass this time around. Maybe I should volunteer to drive him across the continent and back in his car? Wouldn't that be great?

Engine compartment 1941 Dodge:

duHMllNbb-4qPsSgIUijQRvVkcBJdZkcwzNOEKay

Here is my '53 next to an unrestored 1931 Plymouth. It was painted a couple years ago, but that's it. Owner told me it was originally from Chicago. He said he thinks the car was owned by some type of Gangster or other. He has found three custom hidden areas for hiding things in various locations in the car. One under the dash he is pretty sure was for a hand gun. Could be an embellished story. Who knows? Sounds neat and believable though.

10Np1Ok1rKq0Q0OsiZaZ4OO8ejAcVyaTLeoe-Rpm

Not a bad place to spend the day, tucked in with some great company.

The streets were packed all day. I met tons of new friends and many, many people loved my big old '53. Again, I was the only 50's and older Chrysler at the show. I did see a 1960-something Chrysler Windsor at the show. Totally different car. One guy said "Wow, this is rare. You never see these old Windsors any more it seems." One guy offered to buy it. Many had their photos taken with it. I was in heaven all day talking about all the neat little things about my car. I must have educated 10 or more people in the workings of a Fluid Torque Drive transmission.  The creme car with wood spokes was a 1920-something Studebaker. Two rear mechanical brakes only. External round brake straps around a drum. Dicey!

9AZVNLKvwYEtDeXh7Zeb3g_XIImHRmpXH9WbSDna

If I had to give up my Chrsyler today, I would still be very happy. In such a short time I have enjoyed many great experiences with it. It has brought so much joy to me and my family. I have met so many great people, through my car. I had no idea. Vintage cars are so rewarding to work on, and so much fun to own. Everyone here knows that!  I can't think of many times where I have struck up wonderful conversations with 100 total-strangers, in one day. A simple car conversation turns into great stories about their Dad, Grandpa or Uncle who bought one new in the 1950's. So interesting.  Good times!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing Keith, this is what its all about. :)  

I also find it very intriguing to hear people's stories and their adventures with their cars,as well as sharing some of my own.  I enjoyed this post!

• 1 month later...

Well, finally I am back out cruising. It's been a very busy August and into Sept. I had my '53 out today for a heck of a great time. I wanted to check in here, update the thread and share the fun.

I'll start by going back to August. My father passed away in August. Eventually brain cancer took him. He was 74 and diagnosed 6.5 years ago. He had 3 brain surgeries and we were grateful for the extended time we got with Dad.  I spent tons of time with Dad, and he loved my '53 Windsor Deluxe.  Things got crazy busy from there. Then our 2 sons left home for University. Both are gone. Now it's just Momma and I. This past week was our first grocery shop for 2 in over 20 years. It was fun, and cheap!

Here's Dad and I back in June. This was Dad's last trip to visit our family in our home. Unfortunately my Windsor Deluxe was down for a valve job at the time. Dad cared little. He was very excited to get in and feel the luxury of the old Chrysler. From right inside the garage. 

sjB0x6yGAYefl--YDBFDp9ttV_iLJC7vULC1V9yo

Today the Canadian autumn weather was perfect. Sunny but cooler. I fired up the '53 and went for a few different cruises around town. I found 2 different excuses to head out, to go buy what I needed in the old girl. I meet so many neat people when I am out in the '53. (That's we call it, "The '53") Someone pulled up behind me when I parked, and he got out to talk to me. The fellow told me he saw me drive by about 3 miles back and chased me down. LOL. He had to talk to me about the car. He said, "I had to come talk to you and find out all about this beautiful car." He went on, "I cannot recall seeing one in many years. This is the first old Chrysler Windsor I have seen in this town."  We chatted for about half an hour. He asked me what the fuel milage was. "I have no idea", I told him. I drive it for pure pleasure. I stop for gas and drop in $10 or $20 whenever I feel like it. I guessed, when I told him it got about 12-15 MPG. I said "A better gauge would be, How many smiles per mile does it get?"  Most days when I take it out, I gotta be getting over 3 smiles, thumbs up, head-nods and waves per mile. From strangers. Easily 3, maybe more.

I went in to a store to buy a gallon of brake fluid. I am preparing for the brake overhaul on the '53. I came out of the store to find this:

sB9d9r1cgPp94QjseQVjOOqgKGSBm0R4z18MyPKM

A senior couple posing for a photo. They were total strangers to me. Their son with his iphone up, taking the shot. We met, they congratulated me on the car. We had a few laughs and they really enjoyed the car. Grandpa was looking at the chrome dash assembly and smiling. Grandma was looking in at the back seat and smiling. Lol. Maybe bringing back some memories. :)

I cruised past a few new vintage-car friend's homes that I have met, since buying the '53. I enjoyed lots of good socializing and laughs. My last stop was at a local senior's home, who I also met through my car. He is down sizing and selling off lots of his stuff. I have bought a few things from him. He owns a 1955 Pontiac. Today I bought a vintage 1950's bake-lite tube, home radio from him. Also some 1953 to 1954 Popular Mechanics magazines. I went through a huge pile and picked out several with car reviews from the 1950's. I have a Desoto review article from 1952. One on what owners are saying about their 1954 Chryslers. Another Giant Supplement on all 1953 cars for review. A review on 1953 plymouths, and finally, 1953 - "The Owners Report On The Dodge".

I am anxious to get started reading all these Mopar review articles. I plan to scan them all and upload them here for sharing. I will be sure to start new posts for each article that I scan and share. I was thinking there might be a few folks on here who might enjoy them.

Here's my radio find. I will service this tube AM radio myself and have it working like new. Also here you can see how I solved my modern iphone charging problem. My iphone charger is in the trunk. It doubles as a booster pack for the 6V slow cranker. Mind you I have had no use for it's boosting power yet. My 6V electrical system is in great condition and performs flawlessly. The car starts no problem, even after sitting for prolonged periods.

I continue to find great new things and interesting people through my car. I am amused at how it has enriched my life. I had no idea. - Keith

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's Thanksgiving up here in Canada today. I made trip over the mountains yesterday to help my mother out and brought her back home for a few days. No I did not take my '53. I would have loved to, however its a 3.5 hour drive each way and there was heavy snow falling as we drove back to my home last night.

Back here in town today Mom is now scurrying around the kitchen putting together a turkey dinner that the whole family will enjoy. I offered to take Mom for her maiden voyage in my '53 Windsor today. Off to church we went. Mom smiling, proud as a peacock as the orange leaves rustled up behind us under nice crisp fall skies.

I am thankful today that Mom was able to join us. Mom needed a day like today. It's been a rocky road lately. The good news is Walter P's efforts are still paying dividends. Big smiles and great memories with the big car. Life's good.

vuor5uZ5SJycXD1oxEsmsFAfOQ0BH3Ihig_xAqy0

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

Nice!

Mom is dressed that she is waiting to get on the back of a Harley! ;)  Take her!

DJ

Oh Mom's been on my Harley DJ. She's always up to try anything.  I let the Harley go after I fell in love with those early car curves. ;)

Took me  a minute, but I found it... Derailing my own thread here. It's not Mopar. However it was a stepping stone on my way to my Chrysler.

38731_455362932159_8243972_n.jpg?oh=7a5e

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time for her own motorcycle??  :)

There are women's MC clubs in the US, Canada?

DJ

• Like 1

Lol... No. My Mom was let loose on her own on motorcycle once. I think I was 3 years old. It was 1974. Family vacation. Mom's so gung-ho to try anything, she was like "I love motorcycles! I'll rent one!". First time ever. She nailed a telephone pole. Lol. She was not going too fast. Nobody was hurt. Mom was in her 20's. Bike was damaged. It was probably more like a scooter. I was too young to remember the details,  but every year over turkey Dad would re-tell the story and near piss himself laughing... Good times. So Mom was happy to double on the back of my harley any time. I could call her up at 3 am, wake her up and say, "I'll be there to pick you up in 10 mins". Mom would be ready with a grin. Let's go!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Well thanks for the replies!

Now back to your beautiful car!!

Love it!

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Great day to skip work and go on a cruise. Fall is well under way up here in Western Canada. 

Today is the only cruise friendly day I’ve seen in the past 2 weeks. Not many days left for the ‘53 in 2017.  I’m savoring every minute. Certainly not a day to be stuck at work.

Off to another icecream stand!

E402E897-5688-4255-BEBF-B9B2811A8663.jpeg.38a9082c33cae01c0c7f606be2d466b4.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Work's busy, but sometimes you need to take time to enjoy the things you work for. So I took another day off today. I cruised some more. Had my brother meet me,  I treated him out for lunch.  Met more people who approached to talk about the Chrysler. Had coffee on the sidewalk. It was another great day. Photo ops a-plenty.

I happened to pass some young boys on their way home from school, while I was out in the ‘53 today. “Wow. Cool car!”, they said. I slowed down. They were on my left. I said out the driver window:  “Try and guess the year boys.” They smiled. I got answers of "1996." Then "1968". Then "1970".  I replied, “1953”. “Wow”, they larked. "Just wow.” “Epic wow” I think I heard one boy say.  "Older than my Grandpa I bet!". I laughed out loud to myself as I accelerated away. 1996....These boys were about 10. 1996 was really really old to one of them. 

fjBho2E9uL_SU5QTJg7AGwMSHsxPM4pzUA1_VPBB

More experimenting with the iphone Panorama camera feature. Playing around I sometimes get an angle I like.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I'd like you folks to meet Abby.  She's never been in my car. @Worden18 it seems we have more than old Flat 6  Green Mopars in common.

Abby is older now. Her young bouncing days are behind her. She'll be 12 next summer. She sits kinda on her RR leg these days. Great dogs, boxers. No pics with my dog in my Chrysler. She leaves hair everywhere she goes! 

iPw39GEQWwPhB9ZsRgA3VEFzAfWu7xCeqCIVVO-_

On the car, not much new to share. 2 more weeks left on my insurance for the year. I plan to get a few more fall cruises in and then get to my planned winter car work projects.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3