This Evening's Cruise...With Running Updates

keithb7

A few pics from this evening's cruise. These darn cars make me eat so much ice cream. I wonder how many cones have been eaten in this car over the past 64 years?

I was experimenting with my iPhone tonight taking some pics. You can get some groovy distorted looking images.

Lots of fanatical waves and thumbs up tonight during my cruise route. I stopped for gas and a guy approached and said he loved the car. Could he take a few pictures? Of course, I replied. Thank you. I took her up several good hills tonight. Testing her for speed and watching the temp gauge. I hit my local hill in 3rd, pulled hard, shifted into 4th and pushed on up, hitting 50 MH. Speed limit was 30 MPH so I did not go any faster. She ran great. Great cars these old Chryslers.

OdKrU4hw5vSg94NiMOCv9q7i-AX8iiSqvOXEQMZ_

FA6IEXesoiZiwjGnOYn096a9QY-7XQAckVgUnJAE

X4GPCFbqL7nfTHjA1gKjcVG9bExh1y7Nc4W7haMU

-17tBB2_HOYY7SxuSkc3caT4AU0ovpZ9BRU0C46d

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 13

Of course your numbers are matching, even the license plate  has 53W  .

Looking really, really good man. :)  Happy to see that you're out there driving it and enjoying it!  I know what you mean about the ice cream.  Happens to us almost every time, too.

Love your car, absolutely love it

• Like 2

Yes we were lucky when we went to transfer the car title, and put plates on it. They pulled out a XXX-47W plate. I asked, "Hey can you go back and see if you happen to have a XXX-53W deeper in the pile?" The result is seen. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

@55 Fargo Spitfire The valve job was a success. Compression is up, and pretty even on all cylinders. Engine is running very well. No oil burning. I had to sort out a few carb issues after I started going on test drives. She's one smooth torque-y L6. I suspect I may get a few more years out of the engine yet before full rebuild. We'll see. 

Yes I notice more power. Especially climbing hills. Running cool too. I am really loving the L6. Its a very good old powerplant. 

I hope to meet a few more owners of old Chrysler's at a couple of upcoming car shows. I have yet to see or hear another one running. You folks here are my sole source of info and inspiration. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I think I might keep this thread going for a while. I will keep sharing some stories of my fun nights out cruising.

Here in Kamloops, BC, The Rocky Mountain Rail Tour drops off tourists every night. 100's of them roam the streets in the evening looking for something to do in this Canadian town. They are easy to spot. Wondering all over looking at things with bright eyes. I sometimes walk the streets of town on a summer evening to meet people from all over the world. They seem to like our Rocky Mountain views from the sky window deck of a railway car. 

Tonight I went out to cruise town in my '53. The tourist traffic sure makes for a fun cruise. I was stopped by a flag-person controlling pedestrian traffic. In the middle of the road she stopped me. Grinning from ear to ear. She asked all about the car. Meanwhile a tourist approached me and wanted to take some pics of it. I said sure. Of course! He was from Australia. While this is going on, an older gentleman on his electric scooter rips across the road to my drivers side to come talk to me about the car too. I'm holding up traffic now and said I had better go. The flag-lady said, "No problem. You can stop traffic with that car any day." I laughed. 5 minutes later another guy on the side walk starts jumping up and down, pointing at my car and hollers. Then starts clapping. How can you not laugh? I carried on.

2 blocks later, 4 more tourists. 2 older gentleman and their wives on the sidewalk. We're all stopped at a red light. He slowly glances over, sees my car and says very confidently, "1953...Nice". I was impressed, he nailed the year. I've now had two people say that right out of the blue. Until 2 months ago, these old Chryslers were not even on my radar. I am pleasantly surprised to learn how respected these old cars are. It sure feels good to make people smile, wave and be friendly. Old cars sure seem to bring out the good in folks. Everyone who waves gets a honk from my big old, twin low tone electric air horns. They sound awesome.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

Tonight a local parking lot was the place for an impromptu classic car meeting. This was my first time attending a local gathering. I met some great folks and we talked about cars for a couple hours over Rootbeer floats. My '53 gathered a lot of admirers. Lots of questions were asked. I learned more about my car that I never knew. I taught a lot of people about my car too. Someone asked if it was a manual transmission unit at one time. Why did it have a clutch and L & D on the gear selector? I had a blast talking about my car and meeting folks with similar interests. I asked everyone I could if they had ever seen another old Chrylser like mine in town. Nobody could recall seeing one. I was really hoping to see an other L6 Mopar car, but no luck tonight. The burt orange Plymouth is a modified 1949 I believe the owner told me. It has a newer V8, hopped up engine in it, and new drivetrain. He did tell me it was stock when he bought it many years ago.

A neat little 2 door 52 green Chevy parked right beside me. I think he said it was some Skyline Deluxe or other? A straight 6 overhead valve/pushrod  engine. I laughed when he said that he thought his car was a boat. Until he parked right next to mine. I must say the two looked pretty fine together. I like the sunvisor. I think I want one for the Windsor. We'll see. Here are a few pics:

Sw7phvDxnPOOhoGKK68HDcWiRQAJZaNpU7D1qNmC

uBnGouuCh58uOf2Vv29PhutURVoNZPNFteknGG_S

• Like 2

Get used to being the only Chrysler from the 50s at any particular show/gathering.  Last show I was at not only was my car the only Dodge, but the only Mopar at the show LOL!

Looks great, keep the stories coming, and oh, just go ahead and change your thread title to "Me and the Windsor" :D

• Like 1

I'm going to enter in my first real car show tomorrow. I asked my wife if she could throw together a sign on her laser at work. This is what she came back with...Blew me away.

JI3RUWxgUH3teYU8ekBuUAXX80qJn7Ko2YI-ZZ5z

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I'm going to enter in my first real car show tomorrow. I asked my wife if she could throw together a sign on her laser at work. This is what she came back with...Blew me away.

JI3RUWxgUH3teYU8ekBuUAXX80qJn7Ko2YI-ZZ5z

Simply Superb, Excellent idea and quality, Thumbs up to your Wife......

Today, I entered my first car show. I had a great time. 8 hours chatting up cars with other enthusiasts. There were about 100 cars. I had the only 50's Chrysler. There was a '47 (P-15 I think?) Plymouth there. I met the local owner and we shared knowledge and helped each other out a bit. We agreed to meet up again soon. He's about to start rebuilding a spare L6 to install in his P15. I'd like to be in there like a dirty shirt helping him. On his current block SN stamp I saw the P-15 letters.

I had another fellow offer me a good 1953 L6 265 spare engine that he owns. Just sitting there taking up space in his garage.  How cool is that? I plan to meet up with him soon as well, and follow up on that engine. If indeed it is a 53 and what model? It may have come out of a truck. We'll see. I will gather data and start a new thread on it.

Here are a few pics from today. Today was a huge success, I met a fellow local vintage Mopar owner, and I got a lead on a '53 engine. 3 more weeks untill the big local car show with 450 cars. I can't wait to network some more and see what develops. 

Tons of interest in my'53. Especially lots of older gentlemen who either had one, or their Dad did in the '50s.

Nbjpj7izD1IBQphR3GKWd5JukHi03gFgDn0uYCZ3

This 47 Plymouth had original interior. It was pretty neat. It was converted to 12V by someone but the current owner is not too keen on it. He is thinking about converting it back to 6V. He's got low PSI in centre two jugs, so he's getting ready to rebuild.

ba6WHnziQCF05YMSJ5CIelLfQGKhgMKRwzFV9y2g

NDZbGErXAcVQkRXnda2AxRytuQwxjn6-5xECUIfE

8U-vLZP7gE5uNZrWCBx1etQdD8N-purO3a9ANnAH

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This evening's classic car endeavors included a trip to visit my brother. He is about 3 hours away.  We went to a local impromptu car meet & greet social. My Brother  took us in his1966 Corvair. I left my '53 at home. I am still not ready to take it on a 400 mile return trip. More work to get through on it still.

There was only one pre -1960 Mopar at the meet tonite. This 1956 Fargo truck. It had the flat head Chrysler 6 in it.  I am starting to realize when someone mentioned that it's rare to see pre-1955 or so Chryslers at a show,  they weren't kidding.

wSALxxKayM0Xs8S44-uHIat_YFc3rzHjv3MwNeJJ

I mentioned my Brother's Corvair. Here it is. He bought it from the original owners. It's all original. Never been restored. 42,00 miles on it today.

gdxIvRFgRLB5dWKo0Zgv0XoHQlz-RJ4DZEhgvD5c

Big, big car show around here on Sunday. I hope to see some pre-55 Mopars there.  Will report back.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:28 AM, keithb7 said:

Today, I entered my first car show. I had a great time. 8 hours chatting up cars with other enthusiasts. There were about 100 cars. I had the only 50's Chrysler. There was a '47 (P-15 I think?) Plymouth there. I met the local owner and we shared knowledge and helped each other out a bit. We agreed to meet up again soon. He's about to start rebuilding a spare L6 to install in his P15. I'd like to be in there like a dirty shirt helping him. On his current block SN stamp I saw the P-15 letters.

This 47 Plymouth had original interior. It was pretty neat. It was converted to 12V by someone but the current owner is not too keen on it. He is thinking about converting it back to 6V. He's got low PSI in centre two jugs, so he's getting ready to rebuild.

ba6WHnziQCF05YMSJ5CIelLfQGKhgMKRwzFV9y2g

NDZbGErXAcVQkRXnda2AxRytuQwxjn6-5xECUIfE

Thanks for sharing your adventures.
It's interesting to see that the P15 is fitted with Dodge D25 bumpers and gravel pans.
I wonder if those are original to the car?

5 hours ago, Robin (UK) said:

Thanks for sharing your adventures.
It's interesting to see that the P15 is fitted with Dodge D25 bumpers and gravel pans.
I wonder if those are original to the car?

The bumpers look plymouth to me but the gravel pans look a little off. Almost homemade out of flat stock looking

31 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

My gravel pans have a ridge front and rear.

P8010002.jpg

Mvc-007f.jpg

Ya that's what I was noticing. That other cars look completely smooth.