Looking For Help With VIN Numbers

keithb7

Hi folks, I know little about the history of my '53 Windsor Deluxe. I am learning more every day. Tonight when I was out for an evening cruise I got to thinking about the various serial number plates on my car. I do not know how to decipher everything. I am wondering if someone has some SN records from 1953 or could maybe help me understand what I have here.

Here are 3 pics. The Vehicle Number in the door jamb, the plate on the firewall (the most confusing) and the engine block SN. 

uZtAxatYfe_2T-5pZfoH5JLeYM8HEmg7uUgwjAIN

A9gjNoI_Jf0oIJ8LrczqdjunG5ctPItfl1gKwhEw

oGYyIVrLWeJF-B8fx3_6qNjx1BDxy413gQuwJaK5

Could I be lucky enough to be factory numbers matching? How can I find out?  The block with C53 on it has me hoping it's an original 1953 engine. According to my shop manual the 4 door deluxe starting with Vehicle Number 71,005,001 is made in Detroit. I guess mine came from Detroit. Even though I believe Chrysler built some in Canada too. Not sure.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Keith

Edited by keithb7

I am no expert,but it looks to me like both the serial number plate and the firewall data plate have both been removed and replaced.

The "C53" was for the 1953 Chrysler 6 (Windsor and Windsor Deluxe),   The V8 engines were C53-8.  At least in the US.   In Canada the Windsor engine prefix was C60, for the model number of the car.  US Chrysler cars prior to 1951 used the model number for the engine number prefix.  Your engine number of C53-50889 means it was the 49,889th C53 flathead six (264.5-cid) built.   Both Windsor and Windsor Deluxe models used C53 prefix engines.

The model number for your car is C60-2, for Windsor DeLuxe, as per the serial number.   Chrysler Windsor Deluxe models were built in Detroit (East Jefferson plant), Los Angeles and Windsor, Ontario.  Canadian serial numbers started with "9".   Model 60-1 was the lower priced Windsor series.

The serial number is not decodable and is a sequential number that started at 1001 with the first Chrysler in 1924.   Serial numbers starting with "7" were for US-built Chryslers.  As the first Detroit serial number for the C60-2 was 71,005,001 and your car is 71,032,569, your car is the 27,569th C60-2 built at East Jefferson.   The final serial number for Detroit-built C60-2 was 71,050,872 for a total of 45,872.  An addtional 3,434 were built at Los Angeles and 3,015 at Windsor, Ontario.

The serial numbers for the C60-1 Windsor at East Jefferson started at 70,110,001 and ended at 70,140,156 for a total of 30,156.

For the body tag -

Model - 25 - Windsor DeLuxe 4dr Sedan

Paint - 22 - Everglades Green Metallic

Trim - 16 - Seats are done in green cloth

Sched - 154 - Car scheduled to be built on the 154th of 1953 production

Item - 0258 - Believe the 258th car to be built that day

The rest are numbers for the options on the car - power steering, Fluid Torque Drive, radio, back up lights, etc.

You can order the car's build record from FCA Historical.  Not sure of the rates these days.  The build record will confirm the engine number for that serial number and the options installed on the car.

Hope this helps

Edited by B-Watson
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all... hope im not hijacking this post but I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 1948 dodge (I believe a d24). I live in Alberta Canada.

How do or where do I go to decode the vin on the car. I believe it was built in Windsor ontario as the it starts with a 9 and I read somewhere on the net that any vin for this model car starting with a 9 was Windsor. 

Any help is appreciated and I love the forum!

2 hours ago, 48DodgeD24 said:

Hi all... hope im not hijacking this post but I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 1948 dodge (I believe a d24). I live in Alberta Canada.

How do or where do I go to decode the vin on the car. I believe it was built in Windsor ontario as the it starts with a 9 and I read somewhere on the net that any vin for this model car starting with a 9 was Windsor. 

Any help is appreciated and I love the forum!

The "VIN" on your car is actually a serial number. Different serial number ranges were assigned to each assembly plant and engineering model ID. So with the serial number you can determine where the car was assembled, what model car it is and roughly how far through the production run your car was made. It is definitely not a VIN in the modern sense where you can break it down and see the engine, trim line, etc.

If you post your number here it is likely that someone will have the correct set of tables to look it up. It may be in the tables I have at my website, if so you should be able to look it up there: http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

There should also be a plate on the firewall, engine side, with the following information :

Model No

Body No

Trim Code

Paint Code

The paint codes on Canadian-built cars prior to the mid-1960's had most colours different from the U.S.   I do not have the trim codes for the 1946-48 models but can help with the other three.