I normally don't like 39-47 Dodge pu's,but.........

knuckleharley

I sure am loving this one!

46dodgeute3.jpg.d01b62847319264ebbb3f9d9dcfbe2e6.jpg

especially that sideview!

46dodgeute1.jpg.e529c9355c00cc69f323eb62e436b0a7.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

It's a UTE from down under.  Want !

You ain't by yourself. IMHO,it is perfect in every physical respect as sitting in that photo.  I wouldn't change a single thing but the name of the owner. After all,you can't improve on perfection.

I even love what looks to be a home-made sun visor.

Edited by knuckleharley

Actually the only one of those Oz vehicles that would be normally referred to as a Ute is the 1937 Dodge as its based on the passenger car chassis, wheelbase & fenders etc which is what the Ute style of vehicle was designed from..............also note the distinctive "roadster" stamping in the side of the ute bed, this was a distinctive feature of the T J Richards body builders on the 37/38 Mopar Utes which as far as I am aware included Dodge, Plymouth and Fargo......maybe even De Soto.........all the other "utes" as you call them would normally have been referred to as a "truck" by their owners and most of us downunder although this has changed in the past few years.........all the others including that green/black one are more "pickup" truck size......I'm not a truck expert but that is what?, 1939-41?.........the grey, cream and tan ones are certainly Pilothouse based version too...........for this and certainly the others the best guy to talk to is DeSotoDav on the Pilothouse side of the forum.........he'd be able to tell you all you need to know as he has an award winning De Soto Pilothouse truck plus about 6 others...........lol...............btw that green/black one is registered in New South Wales, the state I'm from and that number plate is a quite recent one, maybe less than 5yrs old..........anyway hopefully Dav sees this thread.........Andy Douglas    

Edited by Andydodge

Hey Andy D... I got your email!

I agree with you in that gets a little confusing here in Oz as we refer to many different vehicles as a 'ute'. The 53 Dodge truck which I am presently restoring (like the grey one in the photos above) is referred to as a 'coupe ute', but it is really a truck. I suppose that it all depends on a matter of opinion. I generally differentiate a MOPAR ute here by referring to it as car-styled ute or a truck-styled ute. Here are a few photos of car-styled utes which belong to friends of mine...

Desoto ute2.JPG

Desoto ute1.JPG

Dodge 40 ute.JPG

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Desotodav said:

I have a friend considering selling his ute Reg... I'll have to keep you in mind when he finally makes up his mind and gives me some numbers.

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

YES !   Please do so .

4 hours ago, Desotodav said:

I have a friend considering selling his ute Reg... I'll have to keep you in mind when he finally makes up his mind and gives me some numbers.

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Is the two-tone paint scheme on the black and green one a factory option,or were they all painted one solid color or another when they left the factory?

7 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Is the two-tone paint scheme on the black and green one a factory option,or were they all painted one solid color or another when they left the factory?

I haven't had much to do with the earlier model trucks, but I would suggest that the 2-tone paint was a factory option.

I put the word out a few years back for a girl who wanted to sell her 37 Dodge and I had quite a few people contact me saying that they were interested in the truck. I would have bought it myself if I wasn't planning on going so deep into my 53 coupe truck project... but I put the seller in touch with the buyer and the deal was made. I must say that Ben had done a fantastic job of restoring the old rig - check out the 2-tone paint on his truck...

37 Dodge.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

For the US built trucks black fenders and running boards were standard with body color an option. 

Thanks,Ed.

5 hours ago, Desotodav said:

I haven't had much to do with the earlier model trucks, but I would suggest that the 2-tone paint was a factory option.

I put the word out a few years back for a girl who wanted to sell her 37 Dodge and I had quite a few people contact me saying that they were interested in the truck. I would have bought it myself if I wasn't planning on going so deep into my 53 coupe truck project... but I put the seller in touch with the buyer and the deal was made. I must say that Ben had done a fantastic job of restoring the old rig - check out the 2-tone paint on his truck...

37 Dodge.JPG

Thanks!

Was that a optional bed for 37 Dodge pu's in Australia?