Best way to get a title

John32369

1 hour ago, Flatie46 said:

I don't understand leaving California to buy a car in Alabama? I thought you guys had all the good sheet metal out there where it's dry? When I see a car for sale around here and it came from California  the price is usually at a premium.

Coastal cars, that is from places right on the ocean can get very rusty. Not too long ago I saw a mid-60's Dodge pickup out by Point Reyes that was more holes than metal. Now a car that has spent its life a little inland is a different matter.

But just because the area has a reputation for being dry doesn't mean the cars found there can't be full of rust holes. Times and demographics are different, but in the 1970s when I was first looking for an vintage car I was a resident of Arizona. At that time many of the cars from the 1930s I looked at were in pretty rusty shape and it finally dawned on me why: There was almost nobody living in and thus buying cars in Arizona in the 1920s and 30s. Many of those 1930s cars I saw made their last gasping trip as old rusty car from some snowy, salty state to deliver their owners to Arizona. Park them in a junkyard for a few years and now you can market them as "Arizona cars" and people won't even consider that they may be rust buckets.

3 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I don't understand leaving California to buy a car in Alabama? I thought you guys had all the good sheet metal out there where it's dry? When I see a car for sale around here and it came from California  the price is usually at a premium.

It is a universal law of nature that anything you really,REALLY want will automatically be on the other side of the country,if not the planet,and it will be JUST at the right price where you think it's worth the trouble buying. Not really a super deal,but it's what you have been wanting for years and you only have to max out 3 or 4 credit cards and one small bank loan to get it.

The flip side of that law is usually the car is nothing like it was supposed to be when it shows up,and you are sorry you bought it.

Or at least that is the way it seems to work for me.

best way to buy is knowing you don't have to have it and have the ability to just drop the deal and walk away.....the attitude that there will always be another around the corner will pay off in spades...never pay more than what you think it is worth or comfortable paying, else you will most likely quickly learn to hate the car....

• Like 4