Best way to get a title

John32369

10 hours ago, plyroadking said:

I've done 3 bonded titles here in iowa, somehow the guy that comes out and verifies the VIN has been able to put the tarp back exactly like I had it and on one occasion actually had a key or garage door opener to get into the garage........

I've never tried to get a bonded title. Down here the only DMV inspector that comes to your place is the highway patrol. Best thing is to haul or drive your vehicle to an inspection station.

2 minutes ago, casper50 said:

best way is to get it when you buy the car.

Generally I agree but I've bought from a couple of states that don't issue titles on old vehicles. On those occasions I went to my local DMV to make sure I got the paperwork needed to apply for a title here. Any vehicle brought here from another state has to have the vin verified by either the highway patrol or a vehicle inspection station before you can apply for a title. None of it's a big deal, you just have to be aware of what you're getting into. Same as everywhere else the best way to do that is to ask the local DMV before buying. 

11 minutes ago, casper50 said:

In Alaska you have to have it inspected, appraised, put down 3 times the appraised amount for bond and wait for 3 years.  I don't care what it is if it doesn't have a good title I'm not buying it.

don't ever entertain buying a car 1962 and older from Georgia...there is NOS SUCH THING as a title....and this goes forward to 1987 where titling a car is optional, in case of registration to new owner without transfer of title..the title chain is broken and is suitable for framing or toilet paper only..UNLESS never registered and sold with open (illegal process) title..stick wickets on other work arounds..

...I'll quit bitching about the Oregon DMV for awhile, at least I can a title from a mechanic's lien.......some of you guys are in screwed up states to be sure....

29 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

...I'll quit bitching about the Oregon DMV for awhile, at least I can a title from a mechanic's lien.......some of you guys are in screwed up states to be sure....

You can do that here but it's another nest of snakes I'd rather avoid.. :)

56 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Can't be worse than California, a friend gave me his 41 Buick that was last registered in 1954, title was lost and out of the system. I did the replacement title paperwork with/for him while visiting during a week of vacation to haul it back to Iowa. It was going to be a 2 month waiting period for the VIN inspection then more fees and more waiting periods. You should have seen the look on their faces when I got upset and tore up the paperwork in front of them. They said I'd never be able to get a title for it again and I couldn't take it out of the state. 

17 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

Can't be worse than California, a friend gave me his 41 Buick that was last registered in 1954, title was lost and out of the system. I did the replacement title paperwork with/for him while visiting during a week of vacation to haul it back to Iowa. It was going to be a 2 month waiting period for the VIN inspection then more fees and more waiting periods. You should have seen the look on their faces when I got upset and tore up the paperwork in front of them. They said I'd never be able to get a title for it again and I couldn't take it out of the state

...what????   Do they plan to stop you at the border or something?  Have trailer, will haul.......

Man, sounds like NC is a tough state. Destroying a title to prevent out of state sale is funny because many states it wouldn't matter anyhow and I can apply for a lost title. Only a stolen vehicle will get you in trouble (as it should). Might be worth going to a lawyer in your locality. But others from NC would be the best knowledge. Indiana used to be a real pain, but several years ago they updated their lost title procedure. We now have a few different ways to get titles based on value. I've only used it once and it worked but that doesn't do a thing for you in NC. Often lawyers can guide the process through and the state has reassurance that it's a BAR approved professional doing the foot work so to speak.

I bought a 1939 Plymouth in NC a couple of years back. It was restored and had an eBay replacement VIN tag on the door post. The number was correct but looked wrong. I guess somebody thought the original tag didn't look good enough. Raised a red flag in everyone's eyes except perhaps the seller. It took 8 months for the NC DMV to issue a new "serial number" and title. Love the car. Hated the process. 

Pete

Wow.  I've obviously had it easy getting titles in TX, NM, MI, NY, and ME.  Sure glad I haven't had to get one in NC recently, had to get a title for an ex NC Highway Patrol cruiser back in '82.  State owned cars didn't have titles back then.  I don't recall having any issues at all, but that wasn't the same issue you're having.  The problem with having 50 States is that there are 50 ways to get titles.  Rather than taking what you have to DMV for them to sort through, and from what I read, potentially file-13 your efforts, would it do any good to research NC requirements on your own?  I know some states are nothing but confusing, but some are straight forward, and most have their info and requirements on-line...which unfortunately usually ends with "consult your local DMV office" with questions.  

On 7/18/2017 at 7:59 AM, Peter1938 said:

I bought a 1939 Plymouth in NC a couple of years back. It was restored and had an eBay replacement VIN tag on the door post. The number was correct but looked wrong. I guess somebody thought the original tag didn't look good enough. Raised a red flag in everyone's eyes except perhaps the seller. It took 8 months for the NC DMV to issue a new "serial number" and title. Love the car. Hated the process. 

Pete

You only have to go through that once or twice before you reach the point you never buy anything with that problem again.

I may have a problem with my P-15 coupe when I go to put it back on the road or if I ever decide to sell it. Somebody stole the serial tag out of the door jamb while I had it at a shop getting some work done,and I didn't notice it was gone when I picked the car up. Now I am going to have to find a repo P-15 serial number tag,the correct rivets or screws,and stamps that match the serial number fonts of P-15's before I feel secure about even driving it again.

Edited by knuckleharley

Look up the procedure for Vermont.  Supposedly you can register any vehicle in Vt online or through the mail.  You don't need to be a resident your proof of ownership is your word on an affidavits.  You fill in the application stuff, send the fee and in a week or two you get a package in the mail containing titlt,registration and license plates. You can then do whatever you need to do to satisfy your state as necessary when and if you wish. Lots of folks in NY register trailers in Vt as you get a 5 year registration for 15 bucks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, greg g said:

Look up the procedure for Vermont.  Supposedly you can register any vehicle in Vt online or through the mail.  You don't need to be a resident your proof of ownership is your word on an affidavits.  You fill in the application stuff, send the fee and in a week or two you get a package in the mail containing titlt,registration and license plates. You can then do whatever you need to do to satisfy your state as necessary when and if you wish. Lots of folks in NY register trailers in Vt as you get a 5 year registration for 15 bucks.

Did that once 10-15 years ago on a motorcycle that was left here by a guy from Syracuse, NY. After trying to track him down for a few years someone told me about the VT. process. I sent them the paperwork and a Vermont title and tag came back in my name. It didn't raise an eyebrow at the local DMV. Research any vin closely before attempting it. It sure looks like a license to steal.

Hi Greg, I've been thru Vermont's procedure a number of times. They don't even issue titles for vehicles older than a certain  year, just registrations. The reason I went thru the NC DMV process was not only because I really wanted that car. I bought it through a consignment shop and the party and history on the other side was a big black hole. There was enough that seemed a bit out of the ordinary that I wanted that NC title in case someone came back at me later and claimed it was their car. The process was long and painful but it covered my butt.

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Wow.  I've obviously had it easy getting titles in TX, NM, MI, NY, and ME.  Sure glad I haven't had to get one in NC recently, had to get a title for an ex NC Highway Patrol cruiser back in '82.  State owned cars didn't have titles back then.  I don't recall having any issues at all, but that wasn't the same issue you're having.  The problem with having 50 States is that there are 50 ways to get titles.  Rather than taking what you have to DMV for them to sort through, and from what I read, potentially file-13 your efforts, would it do any good to research NC requirements on your own?  I know some states are nothing but confusing, but some are straight forward, and most have their info and requirements on-line...which unfortunately usually ends with "consult your local DMV office" with questions.  

No. Even if the state where the car came from didn't issue titles,the state of NC and every other state is REQUIRED by the Commerce Clause to the US Constitution to recognize the titling and licensing laws of every other state as legal,and issue you a new title when you bring a car in from that state. AFAIK,the only requirement is to have the old registration and a notarized bill of sale from the previous registered owner. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference what NC or any other state thinks or likes,they have no choice but to issue you a title.

Do NOT hesitate to get right up in the face of any DMV official that tries to tell you they don't recognize Bill of Sale transactions from non-title states. I had someone in a DMV office try that power play on me ONCE,and my "Mr Nice Guy Act" ended instantly. I got right up in their face and DEMANDED they issue me a registration and tags that day or I would have their asses hauled into court and hire a lawyer to sue the NCDMV and try to get them fired. I even told them I would be driving to Raleigh the next morning to go into the head of NCDMV office to ask that booger "WTF?", and mention you by name."

The cooperation was sudden and instant. The dweeb KNEW they were wrong and were just enjoying a chance to screw with somebody. That was 20+ years ago,and nobody in that office has ever tried to give me any grief about anything since.

HOWEVER,you can bet your bippy they will check your numbers and data stamps/tags very closely for alterations. The state DMV inspectors are as serious as heart attacks about fraud and auto theft. If the numbers on your car look to be even vaguely suspect,make sure you have that handled before they show up,or the best you can hope for is being able to part it out. If you are not lucky,they will seize it and you are out the car and the money unless you can sue the guy you bought it from to get your money back.

For example,the 1951 Ford is unique,despite looking a lot like the 50 and 51's. For example,the VIN number on the 50 and 51's is stamped on the firewall on the drivers side of the car. The VIN number on a 51 is on a tag riveted to the firewall on the passenger side. This was after the new laws came into effect. The DMV inspector was refusing to approve a new title for me because the computer in his car was telling him the 51 VIN numbers were stamped in the firewall on the driver side. I suspected this would happen,so I had the factory service manual sitting on the seat of the car,as well as a email from the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn  as a bookmark to prove I was right. When the inspector started to explain why he wasn't going to approve issuing me a title and explained about what his computer told him was the reason why,I told him I didn't give a rabid rat's ass what his computer told him because computers only know what some dummy put in them and are wrong all the time,but FoMoCo and the Henry Ford Museum DO know every freaking detail about 1951 VIN numbers,and here is the proof that includes firewall photos of 49,50,and 51 Fords.

It's hard for them to argue with a factory service manual that has photos.

He shut up and signed the paper.

I bought a 58 Rambler stationwagon from NY several years ago,and the NY registration was all the seller had. This was before the new insane system went into place,and to this day nobody has ever inspected the numbers. I strongly suspect the state DMV does a computer check on the VIN numbers of every vehicle coming into the state from another state,regardless of age, to see if the vehicle has been reported stolen or if there are any liens on it,but this has nothing to do with the age of the vehicle. I'd be surprised if all state DMV's didn't do this as routine.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

...well,  I just looked through the Vermont DMV website and without some proof of ownership, ie. registration card in your name, could find NO way to get a title for a vehicle older than 15 years with the exception of an exempt title for Vt. residents on vehicles over 25 years old.  Not sure what happens to folks in the 16-25 year bracket.   Maybe I just missed something.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title

<you can bet your bippy> I love it! You gotta be an old fart to remember that!! :)

Seriously, though; even though other people have complained about them I've never had a problem with the local DMV. I've bought motorcycles from a non-title state, Georgia; that requires a copy of prior registration and a bill of sale, and Alabama who only requires a bill of sale. The requirement for notarization on vehicle titles was dropped here several years ago although I did have to have an Illinois lien release notarized a few months ago. Like I said before, none of it's a big deal as long as you have the proper paperwork. The only time I questioned the DMV was on a motorcycle I bought from Arkansas about 1980. The owner, a shady character at best; disappeared and I ended up with no title. DMV at the state capitol told me to buy either a frame or a motor with a title, swap out whatever parts it took and use that title. No way, Jack!! I don't like encounters with the police well enough to risk that!! It went to the parts pile..

Here's some '51 Ford firewall numbers

51Ford.jpg

8 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

...well,  I just looked through the Vermont DMV website and without some proof of ownership, ie. registration card in your name, could find NO way to get a title for a vehicle older than 15 years with the exception of an exempt title for Vt. residents on vehicles over 25 years old.  Not sure what happens to folks in the 16-25 year bracket.   Maybe I just missed something.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title

The motorcycle I was dealing with was less than 15 years old. 

Wish me luck, I talked to the inspector for my county and surrounding areas and he seems to think I will be able to get one.  Either bonded or reconstructed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John32369 said:

Wish me luck, I talked to the inspector for my county and surrounding areas and he seems to think I will be able to get one.  Either bonded or reconstructed.

I am sure you will as long as the one you are trying to title has never been reported stolen and doesn't have a lien on it anywhere.

If it were me,I'd be working on getting the title BEFORE I spend a ton of money and a couple of years putting it together. Who knows what insane laws might be in existence next year?

Several years ago I had a nightmare of a time securing a clear title on a '39 Plymouth conv coupe which a friend of mine purchased in Alabama, which I might add he did so over my objections.

When the car arrived in California we found that the car was a "basket case", everything was in very poor weather cardboard boxes. I did an inventory on the boxes and found that many of the very important convertible parts were missing. To add to the problems there was no title/registration and Alabama plates, only a Bill of Sale which was not worth anything because the idiot that notarized it used an engine, number which was a correct P8 number, however, the car did not have an engine/trans. The car had a correct '39 Serial Number plate on the right door post, however, it did not appear on the Bill of Sale.

After two years of mombo-jumbo between the state of Alabama and California I was finally able to get clear title and registration/plates on the car so we started working on the restoration of the car.

When the mechanical and body work was done the car went to the paint shop. A beautiful red paint was put on the car, then it went to the upholstery shop. Buy this time seven years had gone by, the owner had $75k in the car, he was pissed and his wife was more than that. they decided to sell the car, another problem cropped up... The Serial number  plate from the door jamb and the Body Tag from the cowl were missing. They were on the car prior to it leaving my shop, I had taken pictures of them. The body shop and upholster denied removing the tags, there was no voids in the paint where the tags had been, you figure that one out.

It remains a mystery how the tags got back onto the car. I think the good fairy appeared one night and wha-la new serial number body tags were on the car.

46 minutes ago, blucarsdn said:

Several years ago I had a nightmare of a time securing a clear title on a '39 Plymouth conv coupe which a friend of mine purchased in Alabama, which I might add he did so over my objections.

When the car arrived in California we found that the car was a "basket case", everything was in very poor weather cardboard boxes. I did an inventory on the boxes and found that many of the very important convertible parts were missing. To add to the problems there was no title/registration and Alabama plates, only a Bill of Sale which was not worth anything because the idiot that notarized it used an engine, number which was a correct P8 number, however, the car did not have an engine/trans. The car had a correct '39 Serial Number plate on the right door post, however, it did not appear on the Bill of Sale.

After two years of mombo-jumbo between the state of Alabama and California I was finally able to get clear title and registration/plates on the car so we started working on the restoration of the car.

When the mechanical and body work was done the car went to the paint shop. A beautiful red paint was put on the car, then it went to the upholstery shop. Buy this time seven years had gone by, the owner had $75k in the car, he was pissed and his wife was more than that. they decided to sell the car, another problem cropped up... The Serial number  plate from the door jamb and the Body Tag from the cowl were missing. They were on the car prior to it leaving my shop, I had taken pictures of them. The body shop and upholster denied removing the tags, there was no voids in the paint where the tags had been, you figure that one out.

It remains a mystery how the tags got back onto the car. I think the good fairy appeared one night and wha-la new serial number body tags were on the car.

I don't understand leaving California to buy a car in Alabama? I thought you guys had all the good sheet metal out there where it's dry? When I see a car for sale around here and it came from California  the price is usually at a premium.

• Like 1