rings/smoke

Don Jordan

4 hours ago, Don Jordan said:

okay let's put this whole thing to rest.  Pulled the head and pan off.  Took out the piston.  The clip that's over the wrist pin (sir clip - don't know how to spell it) came loose, best I can figure it went up and broke the rings.  The constant wearing cut a hole in the cylinder wall.  Now I'm screwed.  I called about putting a sleeve in it.  The old school machinist won't be back till Monday.  I'm retired and thought I was done throwing money in this beast.  It actually runs pretty good with just 5 cylinders.  I'm almost tempted to put a 283 in it and call it a day.  You know when people say smile things could always be worse.  So I smiled and sure enough things got worse. 

I hate this for ya, I know this may be an expensive fix. I agree with Don, the builder should stand behind this one. Things happen even on new and re-man engines, that's why they warranty them. I don't think the circlip was fully seated for it to come out. If they didn't stand behind it you need to tell them you will have to let your buddies know on this forum about their business practices.  We all screw up but if you provide a service like this you have to stand behind them when they fail. I  wish you luck with it.

Warranty might be a hard one for a builder to swallow. Another block may be needed. If that's the case a pricey rebuild is in order.

OP mentioned 5,000 miles on the rebuilt engine.  Was it rebuilt in 2016? If warranty was implied, I'd be looking up any fine print wording on any receipts. 

I agree with the others. 5,000 miles is a very low mile failure. It's very hard indeed for a circlip to come out of it's machined groove in the piston. Maybe a bad batch of circlips were made by someone, and are out there at various vendors. It happens. Scary thought. 

Edited by keithb7

thank you for the offer of the piston but I'm either going to have to get a new block or swap engines.

re: the machine shop did the re build about 5 years ago.  The car sat until it was painted then sat until the upholstery was finished.  This took years.  Then I started driving from LA north to San Francisco and beyond.  I have no idea of actual miles because I had the speedo rebuilt.  I took the piston in to the shop - they could not explain it.  I'm sure it was them but I'm too old for a fight.  It was just sloppy work.  I called them today about putting a sleeve in it.  The old school machinist won't be in till Monday.  I already laid out money for the gaskets.  And the scary thing is they also rebuilt my 47.  And it hasn't gone far because of brake issues. 

back to square one with a ruptured cylinder wall.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input - I'm going to sit in a corner and pout.  At least the 5,000 miles were sure worth it.

7 hours ago, Don Jordan said:

okay let's put this whole thing to rest.  Pulled the head and pan off.  Took out the piston.  The clip that's over the wrist pin (sir clip - don't know how to spell it) came loose, best I can figure it went up and broke the rings.  The constant wearing cut a hole in the cylinder wall.  Now I'm screwed.  I called about putting a sleeve in it.  The old school machinist won't be back till Monday.  I'm retired and thought I was done throwing money in this beast.  It actually runs pretty good with just 5 cylinders.  I'm almost tempted to put a 283 in it and call it a day.  You know when people say smile things could always be worse.  So I smiled and sure enough things got worse. 

There HAS to be community colleges in your area that teach machine shop as well as auto shop students. Pay a personal visit to a few and talk with the head instructors about having students sleeve and rebuild your engine. Chances are they will jump on the opportunity to do this because it is work they would rarely get,and sleeving a OHV engine is the same as sleeving a flathead engine. All it will cost you is materials. No labor,and chances are you will get a better job than you could expect to get from an commercial auto machine shop that doesn't know you from Adam.

5 years later. No desire for a fight. I understand. I'd do the same. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. The trade school idea sounds interesting. A sleeve might be a good fix. 

I think a sleeve will be the answer  but just as a final straw to grasp,  maybe the score in the cylinder wall is below the travel of the bottom ring at bottom dead center.

If so, it will cause you no problems.    100 to 1 against, but worth a look.

Also worth a look is at the other pistons.  You have  a "smoking gun" for warranty if any of them have the wrong circlips.   

• Like 5

@Don Jordan < I'm almost tempted to put a 283 in it and call it a day. > If I were you and had a 283, transmission and rear end I'd probably put 'em in and be back on the road before the machine shop was finished with the other engine. It would be nice to keep the car all original but what the heck :)