48 Chrysler Thermostat install

48Windsor

Hey guys, how the heck do you keep the t-stat centered in the housing when you installing it back on the engine. Trying to keep it centered while installing the short hose is by guess and by golly. The rad. hose is easy to bend around to install after its tightened down.

Do you all have a trick to keep it in place so it doesn't get under housing? I noticed a seep around the housing to head so I assume its not sitting right. 

Tom B

The thermostat was not set in the indented groove of the thermostat housing. While trying to move the housing around to get the short hose on and line up the bolts to the head, the housing was sitting on top of the thermostat flange. This of course caused a slight leak at the base of the t-stat housing. To hold the t-stat in place, I put 4 very small dabs of rtv under the flange, just enough to make contact between the T-stat and the housing. Let it dry, and no longer had to worry about it not being  set in the indent while installing it. 

I always remove and replace both the thermostat housing and the heater hose adapter housing on the water pump as a complete assembly with the inter connecting hose .

Makes this job easy and fast.

• Like 1