Age Demographics Please Take The Poll...

keithb7

Some Fun: Average Age Of P15-D24 Member  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Please list your age if you want to join the poll:

• Under 20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and up

Can't seem to make the poll work, but I'll reply here.  I'm 48 and have had my '49 Dodge Power Wagon since I was 20.  Bought it in El Paso, TX, from my boss at the time, who was a good man, for $50 plus tax, title, etc, for a grand total of about $120.  Of course, it needed a lot of work, but still a heck of a deal.  Didn't need to do much to get the engine running and get the whole thing in somewhat driveable condition.  Drove it on and off throughout part of the 1990's, then rebuilt the engine and other stuff in the early 2000's and used it as my only means of transportation for over a year in 2004 - 2005 time frame.  Used it as our get-away vehicle when my wife and I got married.  Unfortunately, there were other issues with the truck, and then with the engine (that's a story in itself), and then family and work and other obligations took priority, so it has sat for the last 10 years.  Now I'm finally working in earnest to get it going again, including a 265 flathead transplant to replace the 230 that was in it.  I hope to have it driving later this year.

Edited by Matt Wilson
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, keithb7 said:

@DrDoctor  your age is not important to me, the originator of this thread.  The poll is voluntary and anonymous. I thought it would just be interesting to learn what the majority age is among the group here. You shouldn't feel pressured to respond with a comment of your actual age. Post only if you want to join in. Respectfully, Keith. 

It's really interesting to see the distribution. At 52 I figured I would be one of the younger ones on here,  but I see there's a good number younger than me.  It's awesome news to see that this hobby and these cars may be around longer than I was fearing it would. 

I think the numbers in this poll are skewed.  There would be a lot more percentage of oldtimers here if they weren't already dead!  Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

only if they return to the former state of residence...same as in most all elections at large

I can't answer this one but I'd like to....  would most likely be considered political.

I'm 28 next month and sitting on 3 Mopars at the moment. My dad raced Porsches back in the day, so I grew up around cars. That's him in the orange 914-6.

Daily Driver is a lifted Jeep Wrangler. Did all the work myself. Parents bought it for me as my first car. couple year later, a guy up the street from me was selling a '74 duster. I had just gotten, so I quickly took that off his hands. Trying to find the time to do a frame off on it.

Got the '53 two years ago from a guy near me who had it for a steal on craigslist. I've had to redo most of the wiring, but she starts right correctly now. Saving up to re-chrome the bumpers now.

My pops is 80, but he still will come out and hold a wrench for me if I need a hand some days. I live in an apt, so I store all my stuff at their house and go there when I need to do some work. Not the best photo of me, but I had just gotten the motor running for the first time in two years and my buddy wanted to snap a photo. 

IMG951556.jpg.08a55c529b0bef7e6f13af209c3b1dae.jpg

IMG_3424[1450].JPG

IMG_3424[1450].JPG

Edited by Klinestine
  • Like 1

Welcome, the 914-6's are awesome beasts....as for the Duster....not sure how you going to remove the frame...(unibody) but they can be problematic with rust concerns...got a few miles logged under my belt with A-body Mopars...the 53 is a design that seems to grow on you more than snatching you in from the get-go....most important, you are lucky your dad is still around and able to help...cherish these days...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm 30 (31 next month) My first classic car was a '61 Falcon that was my great grandpa's last car (he drove Ford all his life starting with a 1913 Model T). That car is in bad shape  though it does run. The trunk is so bad I can't install the new fuel tank without some major work. Used it for my senior photos the fall of 2006 and wasn't able to drive it much after I got it going. That same fall (2006) I got a '52 Mercury at an auction. Never should have done that, but learned a lot through taking the engine apart to have it rebuilt. That car runs and drives pretty well overall now. In June I bought a '49 Plymouth Special Deluxe and have been bitten by the Mopar bug. I really enjoy this forum and all the advice that is being shared!

I'm 71. I wrenched on muscle cars in the 60's and 70's. My first car was a 64 Chevy Impala coupe, 409 with a 4 speed, in 1968. Then a 50 chevy coupe with a 327/350 horse motor, 4 speed. Fastest car I have ever had. Scary. Had to put an aircraft cable on the left side of the engine to snub it from the torque twist to keep it from breaking motor mounts. Would pull the left front wheel off the ground when I went WFO in first gear, due to frame twist. Wish I still had it.. Now? A 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe coupe, original 218 engine. But customized in a 50's style motif. Fun to drive. Still needs some small things repaired, like most all 70 year old cars, but drives just fine. Gives me something to tinker with, and to putter around town on the weekends.

DSC01878.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

DSC01866 (1).jpg