Age Demographics Please Take The Poll...

keithb7

Some Fun: Average Age Of P15-D24 Member  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Please list your age if you want to join the poll:

• Under 20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and up

12 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

OK I know I'm the webmaster and everything, but how do you vote in the poll????

I believe the key word is "HOW"

I can't figger it out,...either.

But I guess that's irrelevant now because in scanning this thread I see I have already posted and I assume included in the poll.

Like I said,....CRS :angry:  Now I'm over 80,...I think.

Edited by mrwrstory
added text

I started this thread and set up the poll. If you cannot vote it is possible I suppose, you may have already voted.

I can't seem to modify the poll at this time. Or fix it. Sorry. - Keith

I’m 74 and have been playing with cars my whole life! Here is a picture of me sitting on my first car!  Well it was my first car when I turned 13 years old.  It was a hand me down family car and my brother gave it to me to get me out of his hair.  I completely took it apart and put it back together befor my 15 birthday!  And used it all during my highschool days! No top but who in California needed one.  Jon

2F12B88D-EF4A-41A8-8A5B-2C668E468E3C.jpeg

• Like 2

I tossed in my 55 vote, we are not to far behind the oldsters in numbers.  :D

My uncle is 81, he always was like a father to me, I cleaned up his shop and set a table and chairs in it, he going blind and cant drive no more, sure puts a smile on his face to sit in the shop and hear the tools working.

59 ,     grain trucks  as a kid  were 46-48 dodge &  Fargo.  had a 52 fluid drive 1 ton  fuel truck.  

family  always had Chrysler products for cars  before my time 51 ply, 57 ply,   then   61 ply. (68 polara,  dads first new car in his life . he , died in1970 )  74 Sebring. after that 

my uncle had a new  Newport or new Yorker every second year, early 60s to 80s 

my first car 1970 Newport custom.  700$.

life , family, work ,  never had time or money, or knowledge enough   for the old car  thing.  

till now.       the big  48 dodge 4 door.

finding it  challenging enough , and fun .

comfortable with mechanical  stuff , body work  that is a different story

IMAG0038 (Small).jpg

I’m enjoying the stories posted as this thread unfolds. It’s true, old guys rule. The older guys are certainly the majority here on this site. 

Lucky for us your stories are documented for future generations to read. I suppose in the grand scheme of things you’re all still just  a bunch of pups. Lol. I’d love to hear from some previous assembly line workers in Detroit through the 40’s.  Or maybe an engineer at Chrysler in 1945 or so. Sadly I suspect there’s few left. 

Speaking of this, are there any good books anyone recommends, around the vintage car subject? Say 1955 and earlier? Some good reads would be interesting. Thx. 

any good factory maintenance manual is a good read....car mags and such....too much 'author' influence.  Lot of books on a specific make or model of car usually fixates on paint, trim, general data only like production numbers and the like.  The repair manual, that will display the technology of the era, the engineers data, the basic design and operation and immediate repair instruction afforded to the owner.  I still suggest to anyone getting an old car to immediately get the repair manual and read it cover to cover a couple times before thy even change the air in the tires.....these books are not quite as boring a 4th level TO on theory...those fall under sleeping aide.

I'm 74. My first "driveable" car was a '48 Plym. convertible. Scored that baby

for $25 when I was 15. Motor was apart & most of it was in the trunk. My Dad

helped me get it running in the street in front of our house. Mom was not a

big fan of that project (or the many that followed for that matter). 

• Like 1

Hi..l also find myself looking at P15 D24 almost daily and l am not a big internet guy..I first heard of this site only a few months ago from Charlie at Rusty Hope.

My first car was a 1934 Plymouth which l inherited from my Grandma in 1964..She drove it, my mother learned to drive in it, as well as my wife.My dad and me fixed it up (restored is not the correct word) and l drove the car through high school and college..We still have it. We are planning a cross country trip this spring and hope to visit Charlie in Davenport Fla..

l am a member of various forums and have found this one to be not only the most helpful but the most interesting as well...Tom 

PS my birthday is 12-10--48

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

Well, it looks like I fall into the lead "demographic" :lol: I'll be 67 on my next Natal Day. I'm a Plymouth convert. And even though I'm older, I'm a neophyte when it comes to the mechanics.

When I retired I was looking for a pre-55 Chevy because that is what my first car was when I learned to drive. Because I really hadn't worked on cars since those teen years, I wanted something that could be a daily driver that I could relearn how to wrench on, but decent Chevy's were way out of my budget. But, I found a sweet 50 Plymouth for under $5k that I drove home from San Diego. Sadly, a month later while parked in front of my house a reckless young driver speeding on our street totaled his dad's 2013 Charger into my 50 Plymouth. Repairing the 50 was way out of my skill set so I ended up selling it. But, it was that 50 that turned me onto this forum and when I went to looking for a replacement I  found my 52 Cranbook up in Northern California. It belonged to a Korean War vet who drove a similar Plymouth from NY to CA after leaving the service. We hit it off and I was able to buy the '52 that he had restored over the past 20+ years at a great price. Through this forum, I was able to change out a very rusted and broken water distribution tube. And more importantly got to know and even meet some great folks who have helped me with replacing the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes and so much more. 

I enjoyed reading the many stories that this poll engendered. Thanks Keith.

Lil Jenny at Norms.jpg

• Like 1

I’m 62 years old. I feel like I did back when I was 30, but when I look in the mirror I yell out , “what the h... happened! LOL. My twin brother and I learned to drive on my Uncles 1946 Willy’s CJ2A with a column mounted 3 speed.  He and my dad were Chrysler people. My uncle owned a 1941 Chrysler New Yorker with a straight 8, a 1954 New Yorker Blue Bird 2 door with a 331 Hemi, and a 1968 and later a 1969 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door with the 440TNT package. That car could move, let me tell you. My dad had a 1935 Plymouth 2 door, a 1947 Dodge 4 door and a 1947 Desoto 4 door. His last Chrysler car was a 1967 Dodge Polara with a 383 2 barrel. I have had a 1971 Dodge Colt, and a 1990 Dodge Shadow. I now drive a 2017 Charger Scat-Pack with the 392 Hemi. It’s a very fast and powerful machine. Last but not least, I have a 1941 Dodge Military WC-12 4x4 pick-up. It’s really my pride and joy. As I tell people who ask me questions about it, I always say that the truck comes before the “Bride”.  Wish I could figure out how to post pic’s of it on this forum. I’m not that computer savy.  As I like to say “It’s Mopar or no car”.

• Like 2

Dozerman51 - I have a twin brother, too!  We learned to drive in a '72 IH Scout II with 3-speed manual.  We're both car guys, although our tastes in cars couldn't be much farther apart. He's into euro supercars, SCCA racing, and Corvettes - he races in one of the Miata classes, and owns an '06 'Vette.  I'm into plain old antique cars, vehicles that get the job done, and air cooled VWs.  The only car racing I used to do was chasing villains on occasion, promoted out of that, and my '70 Beetle probably has less HP than one cylinder of my brother's 'Vette.  The very first car I bought when I was 18 was "old" but not then an antique, a '66 Ford Fairlane SW.  Didn't own a car for several years while I was in the Army, then the Missus and I bought our first antique auto, a '55 Ford F-100, when I was 25.  Bought our D24 for my 30th BD.  We're the same age - within the 2nd highest category of the poll.   We've gone through several makes and models of cars over the years, but we've still got the D24, and have gravitated towards Chrysler products for our daily drivers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The poll SHOULD ask our age when we caught the Fever!  If so, it would be at age 9 for me, when in 1986, I 're' discovered by dad's old 46 Dodge sitting in the woods where he parked it before he joined the Navy in 65.  From that day, I always wanted one.  Well, I wanted to restore his, but it was too far gone, so I wanted to buy one like it.  28 years of looking, I finally found one in the condition I wanted on ebay 4 years ago.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 11:19 PM, Andydodge said:

Keith, I'm 63, tho' sometimes I think this maybe my IQ rather than my age............lol...........been playing with my 1940 Dodge since 1971, have learnt quite a bit over the years but not nearly enough and these guys have certainly helped me to understand and learn more for which I am truly grateful..........Andy Douglas  

Andy, you have been at it since I was born...  WOW!

On 1/8/2018 at 9:26 PM, Tom said:

Hi..l also find myself looking at P15 D24 almost daily and l am not a big internet guy..I first heard of this site only a few months ago from Charlie at Rusty Hope.

My first car was a 1934 Plymouth which l inherited from my Grandma in 1964..She drove it, my mother learned to drive in it, as well as my wife.My dad and me fixed it up (restored is not the correct word) and l drove the car through high school and college..We still have it. We are planning a cross country trip this spring and hope to visit Charlie in Davenport Fla..

l am a member of various forums and have found this one to be not only the most helpful but the most interesting as well...Tom 

PS my birthday is 12-10--48

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What a beautiful car!

Ever since I was little, I loved cars, trucks, and machinery. My uncle was a Chevy guy, my dad was a Ford guy, and my mom was, and still is, a loyal Dodge gal. My first car was a 57 Chevy.  And I have owned many cars, but my love for Mopar grows even stronger in older age.  I bought my first Plymouth at the age of 13.  It was a 1969 Plymouth Valiant 4 door.  Despite my efforts to drive that poor car like it was the "General Lee", I couldn't kill it, my friends couldn't kill it, and it wasn't until I went to serve this nation that the great 1992 Flood claimed her.  After returning from the military, I finally found a 1969 2 door, and have had that car for over 20 years.  I don't have the time to list the "other" Mopars I have, but I have MANY....  What brought me here was trying to find out more about my 1938 Plymouth.  I have been here ever since.  It's been a fun ride so far!

• Like 1

Classiccarjack.....actually a couple of yrs before you were born...lol........in 1969 at 15yrs of age I convinced my parents that after modifying plastic model car kits I could do the same to a real car...........so my first car was a 1938 Ford Standard 4 dr Sedan I bought for $30, realised after a couple of mths that it was full of rust so sold it for $20............and decided that a budding hotrodder needed a coupe or roadster.............the first one I saw advertised was a 1940 Dodge Coupe...yep.this'll do......lol......dad drove me to see it and I bought it for $40, and convinced dad to tow it home on a car trailer with his 1958 Morris Isis.........yeh.......he swore never to tow another car again...lol...........pulled the 1940 Dodge coupe apart as all 15yr olds do and after looking for 2 yrs finally found another 1940 Dodge for sale and bought it for $15.00, again Dad came with me, or should I say he took me as I still wasn't old enough to drive & he beat the seller down from $40 to the $15.00, it had 2mths rego, was complete down to the owners manual, workshop manual and hubcaps but not driveable due to some burnt out ignition wiring but for $15.00 how could I loose?...........lol.............and yep, Dad didn't tow this one home, I had to get a local tow truck to do it.....cost me all of $20.00......more than the damn car!!!....but I still have it.....the 1940 Dodge coupe was sold in the mid 1980's never to be seen again, this pic(The Dodge Story) is of MY actual car before I bought it, they are VERY uncommon, actually factory built on modified 4 DR SEDAN body shells( the primered one is mine the day I sold it, the blue one is a restored 1940 Plymouth Coupe they used the exact same body, tailights etc as the Oz 1940 Dodge Coupe)..........and the 4dr sedan I bought in 1971 looks like this today...........I can waffle on can't I ...........lol.....Andy Douglas. 

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg

1940DodgePic3.jpg

1940PlymouthPic1.jpg

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Classiccarjack.....actually a couple of yrs before you were born...lol........in 1969 at 15yrs of age I convinced my parents that after modifying plastic model car kits I could do the same to a real car...........so my first car was a 1938 Ford Standard 4 dr Sedan I bought for $30, realised after a couple of mths that it was full of rust so sold it for $20............and decided that a budding hotrodder needed a coupe or roadster.............the first one I saw advertised was a 1940 Dodge Coupe...yep.this'll do......lol......dad drove me to see it and I bought it for $40, and convinced dad to tow it home on a car trailer with his 1958 Morris Isis.........yeh.......he swore never to tow another car again...lol...........pulled the 1940 Dodge coupe apart as all 15yr olds do and after looking for 2 yrs finally found another 1940 Dodge for sale and bought it for $15.00, again Dad came with me, or should I say he took me as I still wasn't old enough to drive & he beat the seller down from $40 to the $15.00, it had 2mths rego, was complete down to the owners manual, workshop manual and hubcaps but not driveable due to some burnt out ignition wiring but for $15.00 how could I loose?...........lol.............and yep, Dad didn't tow this one home, I had to get a local tow truck to do it.....cost me all of $20.00......more than the damn car!!!....but I still have it.....the 1940 Dodge coupe was sold in the mid 1980's never to be seen again, this pic(The Dodge Story) is of MY actual car before I bought it, they are VERY uncommon, actually factory built on modified 4 DR SEDAN body shells( the primered one is mine the day I sold it, the blue one is a restored 1940 Plymouth Coupe they used the exact same body, tailights etc as the Oz 1940 Dodge Coupe)..........and the 4dr sedan I bought in 1971 looks like this today...........I can waffle on can't I ...........lol.....Andy Douglas. 

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg

1940DodgePic3.jpg

1940PlymouthPic1.jpg

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

Great story Andy!  And one of my best friend's from Israel told me a similar tale.  If it had 4 doors and a six cylinder, it was a American car!  He told me that the US exports were mostly 4 doors.  Two doors were either fabricated or extremely rare option.  Sounds like Australia is similar.