Age Demographics Please Take The Poll...

keithb7

Some Fun: Average Age Of P15-D24 Member  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Please list your age if you want to join the poll:

• Under 20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and up

7 minutes ago, John Reddie said:

I am 75. My first car was a 1935 Plymouth coupe with a rumble seat when I was 12. It was a former stock car at a local Saturday night racetrack. Not long after I got it, the former owner returned from Korea and offered to trade me a 1937 Packard rumble seat coupe which I did. He wanted to use the Plymouth to go racing again. Those were fun times.

John R

John,

Did those circle racing coupes have the typical wrinkles on the fenders ?  As a kid in the late 50's I remember watching them end up on their tops or sides and then the next week they were back again after some hammer work.

1 circle racing 1.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Reg,

They sure did. My Plymouth was actually pretty complete except for the missing windows - it did have its windshield. It was silver with black fenders, the number 44 on both doors and a decent sized painting of Daisy May from Lil Abner on the rear deck where the spare wheel had been mounted. I sure wish I had taken photos of it. Like you said, many ended up with the four wheels facing the sky. I sure miss those days.

John R

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 0:32 PM, Blaine said:

I'm 28 my Wife is 27, we have two daughters 6 y/o and 3 y/o.  We are happy to have our 49' Club Coupe and I intend on keeping it and eventually getting rid of my 2009 Kia Rio in the next 5 years, bringing on in a 57' Bel-Air as my Wife's daily (outside of her driving the 08' Enclave). I firmly believe we have enough old cars in the museums and the rest on the road are ours (including everyone else) to enjoy, drive and keep on the road. I'd like to keep my 49' fairly unmodified except for creature comforts and eventually after I retire form the Navy in 2029, that I'll hopefully get to grab a 40's to mid 50's Plymouth Business Coupe to make my hot rod daily. It will be in need of restoration as I do not want to tear up something close to excellence like many of us work hard to keep.

40's to 50's Plymouths and most others from that era will probably be almost free by then. Most of the rest of us will either be in a"Better Place" or worse yet a rest home.  Except for me of course, I plan to do the same as I did at age 5, sit in the car and go "Vroom Vroom".

• Like 2

I just turned 57. Drove my first truck when I was 5. A flatbed dodge. Keeping it in a straight line at idle, while my dad and his friend loaded hay bales by hand. My first car was a 1969 ford LTD, puke green with an 8 track player. The Lady didn't know if it ran or not because it had been sitting for a while. Paid her $50 bucks, put in a battery, 3 stomps on the pedal and it roared to life. Now say what you will about ford, chevys, and the like, but in 1969 there was no such thing as a lemon car. Every 69 I ever owned was ugly but bullet proof and ran till the tires fell off. My first mopar was a 1964 Plymouth Barracuda with the push button transmission. Fun car till I joined the Navy. I've owned a few cars in my time, but the best ones were from the '60s. The trouble with the new cars is you need a PhD and thousands of dollars in tools and equipment to work on them. That and the fact I'm 6'7", been spinning wrenches all my life, getting in and out of the newer cars is like putting on a space suit. Squat in butt first, rotate legs into the car. Curse because you forgot to put the seat back after you 5'1" wife drove it last. Then after working in a hot garage all day repeat and drive 45 minutes back home, have a crane standing by cause your back and legs cramped up from the bucket seat you can't move around in.

Now I just like the simpler cars preferably Mopar. Easy to work on, if they break down it's usually something easy to fix. With this rush rush world now a days, I like simple. No drama, no fuss and as was mentioned earlier most kids/teen trouble makers can't steal them.  I got my 48 Special Deluxe about 3 years ago. It didn't run but after about a week and $100 in parts she was cooking with Crisco.

• Like 5

I'm sneakin up on 80.  Best part is sharing with Grandkids who were in town for the party.  They all drove the car.

First Mo-power was a Chrysler Hemi in my 35 Ford about 1958.  First all Mopar Mopar is my P15 originally purchased about 1996.

About "about",....I suffer from CRS but I can usually get the facts about right. *:-O surprise

IMG_20170713_122336.jpg

IMG_20170713_200724.jpg

IMG_20170713_203510.jpg

• Like 9

62 and restoring a '52 Cranbrook, my dad purchased new. It was running when he passed in 86, but 30 more years of arizona sun cooked every wire and rubber. Of 7 siblings I'm the only one to ever have driven the car.  Will never be worth what I'll have invested in it but you can't put a price on heritage.  Been a car guy since before I could drive. Owned mostly MOPARS all my life. Current inventory includes 72 Dodge challenger, owned since 74.  74 Duster, father son project car. 05 Jeep CRD, 07 Ram 6.7L Diesel. 

• Like 1

Turning 75 this year.. Can't complain. :)

40 here.  I've been a mopar driver most of my life - 1971 Dodge Dart was my first bought in 1993 and I still own, had a 1993 Dodge Shadow for awhile, '95 Grand Cherokee which I also still own.  Had a Grand Cherokee SRT8 for a few years, VERY FUN CAR but was forced to sell when finances got tight.

I got into the post-war Mopar hobby by accident, somebody posted a dust-covered P15 for peanuts on Facebook, been sitting in a barn for 20ish years, super cheap, I took a chance and snapped it up before anyone else could.  I got lucky, once I knocked the dust off it looked amazing, and it only needed little TLC to become a daily driver.  I'm still amazed at how well it drives for being 70 years old and sitting for at least the past 20.

• Like 2

I am 67 and was brought up with Plymouths and Dodges.  My first car I got in 1965 and it was a 1935 Plymouth 4 dr sedan with 40,000 miles on it.  Paid $165 for it.  Drove it all through high school.  Towed a water ski boat with it in the summers and it was always reliable.  Anyhow, when it was getting to be time to retire I looked for some nice Mopars and have ended up with a 1929 Chrysler 75 Opera Coupe, my 1948 Special Deluxe Plymouth with now 10900 original miles, a 1965 Fury III convertible and a 1967 Imperial convertible. A couple years ago on this forum people asked for some pics.  One attached below and will post a couple in the next two notes if the files are small enough.  All the others are too big.  I'll have to take some pics with smaller files unless someone can tell me a way to upload individual pics larger than 3mb.

P1010489.JPG

Edited by ghowie12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ghowie12 said:

I am 67 and was brought up with Plymouths and Dodges.  My first car I got in 1965 and it was a 1935 Plymouth 4 dr sedan with 40,000 miles on it.  Paid $165 for it.  Drove it all through high school.  Towed a water ski boat with it in the summers and it was always reliable.  Anyhow, when it was getting to be time to retire I looked for some nice Mopars and have ended up with a 1929 Chrysler 75 Opera Coupe, my 1948 Special Deluxe Plymouth with now 10900 original miles, a 1965 Fury III convertible and a 1967 Imperial convertible. A couple years ago on this forum people asked for some pics.  One attached below and will post a couple in the next two notes if the files are small enough.  All the others are too big.  I'll have to take some pics with smaller files unless someone can tell me a way to upload individual pics larger than 3mb.

P1010489.JPG

That is a well optioned car!

• Like 2

Yes, I think it is only missing the windshield visor.  IT even has rock guards for the rear shocks which I am told is quite rare.  Some are probably owner added in the era.  IT has an underhood light, fog lights, a manual operating backup light and an electric vacuum pump for the wipers.  It also has a flip down sunglass for the rear view mirror and the lighted compass you can see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ghowie12 said:

Yes, I think it is only missing the windshield visor.  IT even has rock guards for the rear shocks which I am told is quite rare.  Some are probably owner added in the era.  IT has an underhood light, fog lights, a manual operating backup light and an electric vacuum pump for the wipers.  It also has a flip down sunglass for the rear view mirror and the lighted compass you can see.

You didn't include turn signals with the dash indicator on that list.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm 53 and got my 51 coronet club coupe,my 1st car, at age 7. I'm 2nd owner and am just starting to drive and restore it after a 32 year nap.

48 And purchased my first mopar 2 years ago.  My 46 Desoto taxi.  This was quickly followed by my 47 Desoto coupe and another 46 Desoto I found in a barn.  Now I have 2 48 Dodge business coupes and 2 48 Dodge sedan parts cars. My first vehicle was a 54 Willys M-170 front line ambulance.  God I miss that old slow thing!

I turned 69 last month. My first car was a 51 Studebaker Commander, stock 232 overhead valve V-8. It sounded like and ran like a small block Chevy. My dad's first car was a 34 Chrysler Coupe. His second car a 37 Plymouth Convertible. I have pictures of him with both of the cars. I stumbled onto a 39 4 dr this summer. I only wish he was still here to enjoy driving it. The 39 was mostly restored, but lacked some attention in certain areas, so I started covering those last Fall and will continue to work the remaining bugs out of it in the Spring. I live 10 miles north of Iowa City.

54. As a family we spent many weekends and holidays with another family driving around Victoria, South Australia, and New South Wales looking for a T-model for dad to restore. His friend, who was a boilermaker, was looking for a steam car...

After many years of chasing dead end leads, dad heard of an old car that was put on blocks in a shed in 1943 about 20 miles from us. Turns out it was a 1929 Plymouth tourer in pretty good condition. The owner went to war and never returned, and his wife never went into the shed again. My dad was going to turn it down as it wasn't his dream Ford, but mum threatened him with divorce if he didn't but it as it was in way better condition than anything he'd looked at, and she was sick of driving around back roads chasing rumours. I was about 8 when we brought it home. A basic clean up, re-did the brakes, and she was a driveable barn find. I've been a Chrysler fan ever since.

Rick

At 80 in September, I'm the oldest thus far in this thread. My first car was a 37 Ford two door  sedan with mechanical brakes and a V8 engine, a bad combination so I didn't drive it very much. I paid $40 for it. My first driver car Dad bought for me, a '50 Plymouth fastback at that time the ugliest car on the road, to me. Drove it three years which included a round trip from Western Nebraska to Fresno, Ca via Las Vegas. I owned only one MOPAR a 1970 Fury III, with a huge engine.

Now I have a '52  Dodge truck and building a '53 Plymouth Suburban . I'm getting too stiff and sore for this hobby, yet I really enjoy it. Til I started on the truck , the most I had ever done on a car was change tires       and oil.  

IMG_6715.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

OK I know I'm the webmaster and everything, but how do you vote in the poll????

could it have expired? I see lots of votes but you can't click on anything to vote now

Now at age 75 ... Had 2 vehicles just prior to marriage, one was a  Canadian 1956 Dodge Mayfair HT and the other was a 1948 Canadian Dodge D25 Coupe . Made a choice to sell the 56 Dodge and kept the 48 Dodge.The woman I married  and I are still together.... I'm still into old cars, and once again we own more than one car. :) 

Apparently someone fixed the poll cause I just voted...

In 1973 at the age of 20 I had a 1950 Hudson Pacemaker, a 1960 Lincoln Premier, a 1955 Chevy 2-door post, a 1958 Austin Healey 100-6, a 1950 Chevy truck I paid $15 for with no motor and a 1967 Ford Galaxy 2 door hardtop I bought as an insurance rebuilder.  Just to establish my affinity for oddball cars the 55 Chevy had a dodge 318 V8 with a push button torqueflight and Cadillac differential, because those were the parts I had available at the time.  Today I have a 1970 Mercedes Benz with a Ford 4.6L modular motor and automatic overdrive from a wrecked Crown Vic police car, so I guess I haven't grown up much...

Maybe one of these days I'll tell the story about working on the Lincoln for a week in a Iowa hog field so I could drive it out to Phoenix after it hadn't been on the road for ten years, or maybe I need to find a Lincoln forum for that story.

• Like 1

Rhelm, from your story I reckon you'll fit right in here........lol.............welcome aboard from Oz......andyd