License plate front bracket

Thomba48

Definitely a luxury subject but then  :-)

My car comes without a licences plate in the front. Which I will need to change.

Now instead of drilling two holes in my really "beautiful bumper" I was wondering if there did exist a kind of mopar license plate bracket for the front?

I am looking forward to your inspirations.

Thom

Here is the one that was on my 48 coupe when I bought it. I have no idea if it is original or aftermarket,but it fits the bumper perfectly.

0713171700a_Burst01.jpg.02402e9cb72835cc5fd32ac703990cea.jpg

1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

Here is the one that was on my 48 coupe when I bought it. I have no idea if it is original or aftermarket,but it fits the bumper perfectly.

0713171700a_Burst01.jpg.02402e9cb72835cc5fd32ac703990cea.jpg

Perfeccct. Exactly what I need :-) I shall hunt around. Thom

Our ’46 Plymouth had no provisions for a front tag, either. In the state we live, there isn’t a front tag, so no problem. However, we had an old plate (a 1946 plate in good condition) from our home state, so I used a tag bracket from something (I don’t know what it came off of . . .), and made a bracket to mount it on the splash pan behind the bumper, in front of the grill on the passenger side. Certainly not original, but it looks almost original. Who knows, someone probably did something similar back then.

2 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

Has anyone got a spare one he wants to sell :-) thanks

Found this at last fall's Pumpkin Run Nats. Seems to be a near relative to the one on knuckleharley's '48. I paid $25.00 for it - yours for $25.00 and postage.

DSC07641.jpg

DSC07643.jpg

3 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

What about the rear license bracket for a 1949? How does it look like?

Early or late 49? The early 49's looked just like the 48's.  The late 49 Plymouths had those really pretty ribbed bumpers.

S

8 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

Late - a P18.

Since you are in Germany,won't you need one of those license plate brackets for a really long,by US standards,license plate?

If so,and you don't want to drill holes in your bumper,your only option seems to be to use scrap steel to make one. To avoid drilling a hole in your bumper you can either make a bracket that bolts to the gravel shield between the bumper and the fenders/grille,or make one from flat stock with a square hole  to bolt to the bumper using a bumper bolt,and then have two "legs" long enough to bend a "L" on the bottom of each so the bottom flat part goes under the bumper  and keeps it from rotating.

I'm guessing the chances of you finding a factory front license plate holder made to fit German license plates are going to be pretty slim.

Hi. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

The above bracket actually would work - after all the license plate only needs to be fixed with two nuts. There is no law indicating if those fixing points are entirely positioned towards the end of the plate or towards middle. So that should actually work.

Why I do not think the above is really working for me is that I do have those ripped bumpers. So probably also the bracket might need to replicate those curves. So I believe. But than it probably would work - the more I think about it :-)

Below have a look at the ripped bumber. 

What easy option there might be is the following set-up:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1940-50s-CHEVY-FORD-MOPAR-GM-RAYLINE-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-NOS-GREAT-DISPLAY/332081955620?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

18193144_1251025788328353_3005928350600007865_o.jpg

Edited by Thomba48

58 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

The above bracket actually would work - after all the license plate only needs to be fixed with two nuts. There is no law indicating if those fixing points are entirely positioned towards the end of the plate or towards middle. So that should actually work.

Why I do not think the above is really working for me is that I do have those ripped bumpers. So probably also the bracket might need to replicate those curves. So I believe. But than it probably would work - the more I think about it :-)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1940-50s-CHEVY-FORD-MOPAR-GM-RAYLINE-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-NOS-GREAT-DISPLAY/332081955620?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Nice 49. You are hunting for a similar bracket but it is designed to go with those unique bumpers. I'm sure it's a 1949 only part. 

25 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

Yes - when it comes to the rear plate than they go to the trunk lid - but even here a bracket might be needed. Only the front plate goes towards the bumper

There should be a factory bracket that goes on the trunk. I will see if I still have a picture of the 49 front mount that I had. 

4 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

Beautiful car, great color and thanks for the mesage. This is the front bracket on my P18. I don't know if it is correct or not. It kind of fits the ripple bumper and seems to put the plate in the right position.

DSC07648.jpg

DSC07647.jpg

DSC07644.jpg

11 minutes ago, rekbender said:

Beautiful car, great color and thanks for the mesage. This is the front bracket on my P18. I don't know if it is correct or not. It kind of fits the ripple bumper and seems to put the plate in the right position.

DSC07648.jpg

DSC07647.jpg

DSC07644.jpg

Great - I'll take it :-))))) Just joking obviously.

Great car also - and yes this bracket certainly makes sense. I have approached a few junkyards. Maybe they can help :-)

Edited by Thomba48
  • Like 1