Sorting out the seats

OK, I've been trying to figure out my seats.  I sit on the left, and the right side comes up, and vice versa.  There must be a way that the back is anchored to the frame.  The bottom fits in the pins in the track, and a piece of metal with the hook that is attached to the bottom of the back cushion fits into a hole in some metal on the bottom seat, but there must be some kind of way that the back is attached to the frame? Right? There are a couple of brackets on the back of the seat that go to absolutely nothing on the seat frame (see pictures below).  So what am I missing here? What are these brackets for?  I assume there is supposed to be something on the frame they attach to?  Could someone send me some pics on what is really supposed to be there?  Thanks!

IMG_0191.JPG.1a526a2c0dd7893c3603db431fb80f7a.JPGIMG_0193.JPG.e7bba1869a0a8f786d7998a25a2b03d4.JPGIMG_0193.JPG.e7bba1869a0a8f786d7998a25a2b03d4.JPG

My seat does not have any brackets like that on the bottom. The bottom cushion just sets on the frame, and locks in place with the pins at the front. There are 3 position holes in the frame for the pins to fit into. This allows the seat cushion to be located fore and aft for operator preference. The seat back hooks over the top pipe of the seat frame, and then latches into the lower pipe. This also helps hold the back of the seat cushion in place, so it can't lift up. Since I've has extra foam added to my seat cushions, the bottom cushion is a snug fit under the back. Once I push it under the back, and get the pins set into the locating holes, it doesn't move.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

My seat does not have any brackets like that on the bottom. The bottom cushion just sets on the frame, and locks in place with the pins at the front. There are 3 position holes in the frame for the pins to fit into. This allows the seat cushion to be located fore and aft for operator preference. The seat back hooks over the top pipe of the seat frame, and then latches into the lower pipe. This also helps hold the back of the seat cushion in place, so it can't lift up. Since I've has extra foam added to my seat cushions, the bottom cushion is a snug fit under the back. Once I push it under the back, and get the pins set into the locating holes, it doesn't move.

Edited by John Rogers
I accidentally deleted my post, UGH !

Im glad that you mentioned the way your seat back attaches Merle. I remember that my Dad's B1B had the same seat back mounting arrangement as yours and I was curious if at some point someone had made their own mount on it before Dad got it but now I know it was made that way. My '49 uses the brackets and pins. Mine is a bit of a pain to access with my big fat hands. Dads was much easier.

John 

2 hours ago, B1B Keven said:

Merle, can you post a pic of the back of your seat back?  I can't find any pics of the 'rifle rack' style mount.

This a seat out of a B2C parts truck I had. The seat back is the same as my B2C. You can kind of see the hook brackets on either side. The top side hooks over the top bar and the bottom one snaps over the lower bar. My bottom cushion has the Air-O-Ride system. This one had a plywood base with a foam cushion. I believe this is the seat that Brad Schmidt got from me. I'll see if I can get some better pics tonight. If I have time I'll pull the cushions off and get a few pics.

P5021027.JPG.d221bf3e2c7db8644ee2afbf94fad30d.JPG

32 minutes ago, John Rogers said:

Im glad that you mentioned the way your seat back attaches Merle. I remember that my Dad's B1B had the same seat back mounting arrangement as yours and I was curious if at some point someone had made their own mount on it before Dad got it but now I know it was made that way. My '49 uses the brackets and pins. Mine is a bit of a pain to access with my big fat hands. Dads was much easier.

John 

John,

My truck is a '50 B2C, like Fiddy's. I believe the '48 and '49 trucks had the pin attachment at the top of the seat back. The green frame in Keven's pic earlier shows the mounts on the seat frame for that type of seat. I believe that type of seat also had the seat back lock into the bottom cushion so that it couldn't be removed without removing the back first. This would also change the back angle if you moved the bottom cushion fore and aft on the locating pins.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Here you go. Hope these help. 

The back of the seat back with the hooks

0759FA3C-F74C-4F41-B0F1-50E353589956_zps

As stated earlier, the hook on the right (top) hooks over the top bar and the lower part (on the left) snaps under the lower bar. There is no connection between the seat back and the bottom cushion. 

5708C0C6-E67A-4209-9080-DE38749B135A_zps

Here is the bottom cushion sliding under the back...

F0FE71D3-C8D0-412C-BCCF-FDCBFF447D27_zps

Once it's locked onto the locating pins it's a nice tight fit. Nothing moves.

FFF5BCD0-1793-4504-95A3-3ECB95441BFD_zps

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 10:40 AM, John Rogers said:

I have wondered about the bottom  of my seat....I am missing the pins and my seat just sits in the frame figure it is not that safe, lol I will have to see if they were removed or it might be a different seat. 

4 hours ago, JaysonK said:

I have wondered about the bottom  of my seat....I am missing the pins and my seat just sits in the frame figure it is not that safe, lol I will have to see if they were removed or it might be a different seat. 

three of my trucks had different bottom seats...both my b4d and my b3hh had a different style that locks to and around the front seat frame with "notches" and don't use the pins

seat.JPG.7aa74fad653a2cf137dbf0c0168314dc.JPG

and my B3B was a different (wrong) seat all together so I stiffened it up and made the adjuster piece that sits on the front pins.

598cb2d5a6d4d_b3bseat.JPG.11e33f439fd8ab7b233a567750694d43.JPGseat.JPG.6d5a7f63258c7c2872e1f0a1d78507da.JPG

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

OK, I'll play along,  just where did she hide the steering wheel?

not sure..... she told me It was safer if I didn't drive it 

18 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Is this seat hold down device attached to the truck?

nope, just the current owner :D

Edited by Brent B3B
spelling
  • Like 3

Were the pins pushed down?

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

i had a parts truck that had a fix for that :)

pins.JPG.604ef15761eb21bf3879d140ffc3637a.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 4:59 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Yes. I will have to figure something like that out after I see if I can gently push them up. I hope they do not break, just one more thing to add to the list...

I remember that mine were pushed down when I got it. I was able to pry them back up with little effort. I was worried about them getting pushed back down, and contemplated a solution like Brent showed, but I've found that it wasn't needed... so far. You just need to be sure the seat base is locked onto the pins before sitting on it. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 7:58 PM, Merle Coggins said:

Here you go. Hope these help. 

The back of the seat back with the hooks

0759FA3C-F74C-4F41-B0F1-50E353589956_zps

As stated earlier, the hook on the right (top) hooks over the top bar and the lower part (on the left) snaps under the lower bar. There is no connection between the seat back and the bottom cushion. 

5708C0C6-E67A-4209-9080-DE38749B135A_zps

Here is the bottom cushion sliding under the back...

F0FE71D3-C8D0-412C-BCCF-FDCBFF447D27_zps

Once it's locked onto the locating pins it's a nice tight fit. Nothing moves.

FFF5BCD0-1793-4504-95A3-3ECB95441BFD_zps

Merle, this explains everything.  I like the hook attachment system without the loops.  It looks like my truck has older seats than what originally came with it.  The more I dig into this truck, the more I realize it was a pieced together truck.  

• Like 1