Way Off

BigDaddyO

Went down to the wharf in Newburgh, N.Y. to see the replicas of the Nina and Pinta that are docked there until tomorrow am, when they set sail for Albany. It's about 90 miles. They depart at 5am and hope to arrive by 4pm. If you look on a map, you can see why....it's all uphill.

DSC04333.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately it was kinda overcast and the ships are painted all Hot Rod flat black ('Murdered Out' as the hep cats of today say) and I couldn't see much in my viewfinder so it was a hit and miss proposition.

DSC04308.jpg

Edited by BigDaddyO
Correction
  • Like 1

Cool, thanks for posting.  Brings back memories as my brother and I were regular visitors to the Santa Maria replica that was on the Mississippi River in St. Louis for many years (still there?) when we went to southern Illinois to visit our Grandparents, when we were kids.

• Like 1

On the ship in Portland Maine in 2015. It is not very large, one would really want to go to get on that for a few months.

IMG_0249.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

They were having a tall ships festival when we on vacation in Charleston. Would have liked to seen it but it got bumped out of the schedule. Did do a ghost tour on the Yorktown though.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I  liked going to see the sailing ships decorated with Christmas lights when I lived in the Charleston area....

Charleston is our favorite vacation place, went there on our honeymoon and several times since. Wife has said every time we visited we should move there. Of course we prob never would.