Part 2, What new features are coming summer 2017...

Sponsored By  

As IPS gets closer to releasing a major upgrade they are rolling out info about new features. One of interest is a new "Club" feature, basically a way for members to join a specific group. We have talked about splitting up the forums in to different sub forums like W,B and C Series but my concern is the site then gets too complex to easily navigate and search. Clubs look like an easy way to set up a common interest group without having to restructure the entire site. They are opt in and will have a moderator.

Let me know what you think, what groups you would like to see and if interested in becoming a moderator for a certain group.

You can read about it here: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/new-clubs-r1017

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, IPS has released their next major upgrade of the site software. We will be moving to it late August.

New features are listed here; https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community-42-r1030/

If your interested in being set up something using the club feature I need a moderator to run each one created. Let me know if your interested. 

On 7/11/2017 at 7:34 PM, pflaming said:

Bring back CHAT!

Still checking on options, only one I have seen that looks decent has a license fee of over $100 a month. That's not going to happen. 

On 7/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Bingster said:

I'd very much like to see a group that has 1946-48 DeSotos. 

Just need someone to step up to be the moderator

I'll take MOD for the B series trucks and would entertain the "minnesota centric group"  if one comes up... I'd nominate Young Ed for the W series if he wants it otherwise I can do that as well untill someone wants it.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:43 AM, P15-D24 said:

Still checking on options, only one I have seen that looks decent has a license fee of over $100 a month. That's not going to happen. 

Just curious if you would be interested in IRC (internet relay chat) it is free and open source software, there is no fee but as always, donations would be accepted, they do not ask for donations.

I have been using freenode server since around 2005, is a very good server and first class groups on it.

Just to try it out I went to a channel called ##p15-d24 I am the very first person to ever go there, so it is free for me to register the channel and become owner of it.

If I issue the register command, it will then be taken and I own it and nobody else can take it away. I would prefer someone else long standing in the community, take ownership of the channel and I would be happy to help out as a channel moderator.

All the owner needs to do, join freenode server, issue a command to register your nickname, then join the ##p15-d24   channel and then issue command to register it in your name.

As long as I am squatting on it, nobody can take it from me. So if you want chat, we can do this pretty easy. And the group can pick any name so long as it is not registered by someone else already. It does not have to be  ##p15-d24, could call it moparz or whatever, pretty obvious why I checked p15-d24.

To try it out, all you do is go to this link https://webchat.freenode.net/

Enter a nickname and then for channel  ##p15-d24 select I am not a robot and enter and it will bring you to the chat room. Basically we already have a chat room.

Also you can download and install a free irc client, I use hexchat but there are many available that work on any platform including android, mac, linux, windows. This way I have my browser free to use and the chat window available at all times.

There is a small learning curve for freenode, main thing for users is picking a name that is not in use and is best if they register the name, so nobody else can steal it.

For the channel owner, is more involved with commands to set topics and a hundred other things such as granting moderator rights and banning channel abusers, but is well documented and not rocket science. use google search for info. And even though there are a hundred options, you only need to know a couple to get started.

Be sure to stop by ##p15-d24 and say hello  o/

Screenshot_20170801_155039.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, Bingster said:

I'd very much like to see a group that has 1946-48 DeSotos. 

You want to be the host/moderator?  I'll be setting this up next week. 

On 8/1/2017 at 10:50 AM, ggdad1951 said:

I'll take MOD for the B series trucks and would entertain the "minnesota centric group"  if one comes up... I'd nominate Young Ed for the W series if he wants it otherwise I can do that as well untill someone wants it.

Want me to set up both and see who joins? I'm doing the upgrade tomorrow. 

I don't know how to post a previous question to answer to, but I just don't have the time to moderate a group. I'd love to, though.  I guess that's kind of typical to suggest something and not be willing to do it, but I just can't squeeze it in right now.  Sorry!

On 8/27/2017 at 8:39 PM, Young Ed said:

GGdad said he would to but beyond that I'd certainly do the MN group.

I have no problem sharing mod duties...soemtimes a second set of eyes and hands is nice.

10 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

I have no problem sharing mod duties...soemtimes a second set of eyes and hands is nice.

Ya us MN guys can get rowdy at times.....