48 Desoto Project

52b3b Joe

I would love some close-ups of the sheet metal pieces in back of the front bumper.  The stone deflector,  the bar with all the holes in it, and the attaching of the grille pieces. I also need identification of the screw types that hold the sheet metal together. All of my metal is painted and ready to install, but the fasteners are in jars. It's not always easy to figure it our from the parts diagrams.

3 hours ago, RNR1957NYer said:

You should be very proud of your accomplishments - well done!

Thanks! We definitly are! I know my dad is very happy with it. It has exceeded his expections on all of it so far. I'm just soaking up being able to do a project like this on someone else's dime lol. So far we haven't sank much money in the car so he's also happy about that! He still needs to get tires and door glass cut, but other than that not much! 

2 minutes ago, Bingster said:

I would love some close-ups of the sheet metal pieces in back of the front bumper.  The stone deflector,  the bar with all the holes in it, and the attaching of the grille pieces. I also need identification of the screw types that hold the sheet metal together. All of my metal is painted and ready to install, but the fasteners are in jars. It's not always easy to figure it our from the parts diagrams.

Next time I work on the car I'll try and get some pictures for you! Should be good timing, I'm hoping we put the grill in soon. 

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I gave an update. The car is pretty much done. Just need to blast and paint the wheels, then have the new tires mounted. I took me a little while to find some clips that will work for the rocker trim, but now that I located some, we'll be able to get those on. I also had another hang up with the wheels. Once we got the tires dismounted, we realized we had 3 different rims. Different widths and styles. It took a while, but we actually found a parts car 48 Desoto 20 minutes from my house that we were allowed to take the rims off. Tonight I'll blast the rims and hopefully get some paint on them. Other than those items, the car will need new rear springs. One side is pretty weak and the car has a lean. Nothing is broke, so it'll wait a month or two. 

As far as the interior, it is all original except for the carpet. I was missing the front carpet/mat, so I had to buy a new kit. Overall the interior is tired, but it'll do for now. It still needs some more cleaning before I call it ok. 

I'm really hoping to have the new tires on tomorrow, and to take it for it's first real drive this weekend. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

I am impressed both by the quality of the work and speed with which you were able to complete the work.  I am in the process of upgrading the brakes on my 1950 Plymouth to front discs and dual master cylinder and it's already been six weeks and will be a couple more before I get the new wheels, get them painted and the car back on the road.

Well, the car hit the road yesterday. It drives very nice! The radial tires make a pretty big difference on these cars! In all, we probably put 30-35 miles on it. We still have some minor projects left on it and some fine tuning to do, but in all it was a success. My dad bought modern radials for the car to save some money. It doesn't look terrible with the beauty rings and center caps to break it up a little, but its a lot of black! The 41 is still a much better looking car in my opinion though! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, 52b3b Joe said:

1.jpg

Joe the car looks great! but, it is it is centered in the photo and the view of the truck is limited  :lol:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Joe the car looks great! but, it is it is centered in the photo and the view of the truck is limited  :lol:

I know! It's a real problem!!! 

Maybe now that the 48 is near the finish line, maybe I can start some small cabover projects. I can't believe its been 10 months since I've even put eyes on the truck! Heck, I hope it's still in the barn where I left it! 

• Haha 1

• 5 years later...
33 minutes ago, Bingster said:

You may have said this somewhere in your posts, but  did the Plymouth Doctor rockers come with the holes in it?

Yes, the top sill plates did come with the holes in them already. If I remember correctly, after everything was done, I did have to elongate some holes as needed for the sill plates to fit.  

19 hours ago, ratbailey said:

What a fantastic job you did on this car! I'm going to be doing much of the same on my '48...looks good from 500 ft., but close up, the bad bodywork and paint drives me nuts. 

Curious to know, what size radials you went with? 

Thanks! Tires are 225/75R15s. Good luck on your car! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

Thanks! Tires are 225/75R15s. Good luck on your car! 

Thanks! Great...good to know I can squeeze that size into my DeSoto. Trying hard to stifle the 13-year-old in my brain that tells me to put bias plys under there 'cause they look rad.

13 minutes ago, ratbailey said:

Thanks! Great...good to know I can squeeze that size into my DeSoto. Trying hard to stifle the 13-year-old in my brain that tells me to put bias plys under there 'cause they look rad.

I think the bias tires look better, but we went with the radials because of the "budget build" nature of the project. They were far cheaper than any bias ply we could get. We really tried not to break the bank with this car, and we did very well. The 41 Desoto and my 52 Dodge have 6.50-16s on them. 

• Like 1