Alternator installation confirmation

Thomba48

I have decided to install a 6 Volt positive ground, one wire alternator. The ideal offering with 60 amp is found, also comes with a universal bracket. Taking out the generator is understood, installing the actual alternator is clear. Now it comes to the actual wiring. In regard to the wiring I have read various approaches - what is the real one, that is the question :-) What I really want to do is to leave as much as it is on my 6 Volt 1949 Plymouth and to still use the AMP meter. 

So now with the alternator installed:
One fat arm wire obviously will have to go the battery. Here I was hoping to use the original wire that went from the generator to the battery. Would that work?
The thin wires leading to the existing regulator (I want to keep it for stock reasons) will simply be set inactive (taping them or whatever).
The other fat arm wire that originally went to the regulator I would simply redirect to the battery to keep the charging currents path the same as if it still had a generator going to the amp meter.
And ideally I would ground the alternator directly to the engine itself.

Honestly, I have read other version also. So would the above make sense bearing in mind my objective? Can I use the existing cables (presuming that they are alright)? etc.

thanks/ thom

Edited by Thomba48

uupps. I have to really admit - I am just not good with electrical matters as such :-)

So I am on fire - when I see my wife and maybe even my Plymouth. But I would like to keep it to that. So what would you recommend :-)

I used a 60 amp 6V alternator for years, and it wasn't a problem.  You could count the number of times it pegged the gauge on one hand; the rest of the time it would be at the high end of the scale for maybe half a minute, then would move down to lower charge levels after that.  The battery would have to be pretty dead for it to pull 60 amps.

Marty

4 hours ago, martybose said:

I used a 60 amp 6V alternator for years, and it wasn't a problem.  You could count the number of times it pegged the gauge on one hand; the rest of the time it would be at the high end of the scale for maybe half a minute, then would move down to lower charge levels after that.  The battery would have to be pretty dead for it to pull 60 amps.

Marty

Hi - did you actually set it up like I described above or any differently? thanks thom

Thomba....for what its worth I have been throwing 12volts thru the original 1940 Dodge amp gauge for the past 45 yrs and for the past 43 of them via a Lucas 45amp alternator.........o/k, yep its all attached to a 318 V8 , etc but I haven't told the gauge that...........lol............so I dunno if this helps......or confuses the situation........regards, andyd   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomba48 said:

Hi - did you actually set it up like I described above or any differently? thanks thom

I just removed the regulator and all of the wiring and used a single feed.  It's been so long I don't remember where it was connected!

Marty