chrysler M6 transmission noises

motorman1600

hello all,  I have just finished rebuilding the M6 and having never driven one before, I need to know what are proper clunks and clicks and what is not.  It does shift and runs good I believe, but here is the problem  When starting out in  either low or high or reverse, there is a clunk when I press on the pedal to go. if I leave it in that gear and let off the gas there is another loud clunk.  When driving in either range low or high and the trans shifts  it does make a faint sounding click and it shifts to the 2nd or 4th gear and drives fine. If I press on the gas and let off as before, there is no loud clunk.

If this is normal then I am a happy guy, if it's not normal, then it seems i'll have to remove the trans and look for the problem.   

Thanks in advance,  Bill

The only sound you should hear is a click or a light clunk on auto upshifts.

That's it.

Dodgeb4ya is right, but I would have a good look outside the transmission before taking it out.  Universal joints, sliding spline, differential side gears, rear axle spring mounts and engine mounts all should be looked at.  Also the brake drum and its driving flange on the back of the transmission

Note this is a common wear area on a high mileage M-5/M-6 trans...

Several items could cause a kinda wrap up feel when letting the clutch out

Worn free wheeling countershaft gear with the 14 angled ramps on it ( would have very slight wear depressions on each ramp..

Worn 14 rollers....

Worn roller retainer..it's .made of brass and keeps all 14 rollers positioned correctly on the free wheeling countershaft gear

and lastly the large forward free wheeling front gear ( the rollers can wear out the Inside diameter bore of that gear...

All these items will cause a kinda feel like the rear axle  is moving up and down when letting the clutch out in reverse or forward gears. Caused by the rollers moving to far up the ramps.

BN M-5 Tear Down (2).JPG

Blakes M-5 Assembly (18).JPG

Blakes M-5 Assembly (34).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi, I have figured out what was wrong.  I purchased rollers that had the same part number but they were .004  larger and they were binding up the free wheel gear.  I ordered all new small parts for the free wheel gear and put it back together.  Installed it today and  No more clunking .. car drives great.

Thanks for the input.  Helped me figure it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, motorman1600 said:

hi, I have figured out what was wrong.  I purchased rollers that had the same part number but they were .004  larger and they were binding up the free wheel gear.  I ordered all new small parts for the free wheel gear and put it back together.  Installed it today and  No more clunking .. car drives great.

Thanks for the input.  Helped me figure it out.

Rollers with the same parts number,but a different size?

Trying to figure out something like that is like trying to roll boulders up a hill. Congratulations!

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1