Took the dive. Hope I don't regret it.

40desoto

HRT is correct, Frank.   Yes they are.  3 7/16 by 4 1/4.

Believe it or not, 25 inch engines can be  201  218  228  236  241  251 and 265    ( this 201 was 3 3/8 bore by 3 3/4 stroke used in Canada 38 to maybe 40 )

23 inchers can be 201,  217  ( some call it a 218)   and 230   all depending on the bore and stroke combination.

• Like 1

Called the shop today, the owner had no clue what I was talking about nor who I was.   He then hesitantly stated that it's in the oven baking right now... and that he will call me in about 1 hour.

I get it, you have a business to run and things come up and not expected to remember all the customers and every motor you are working on.

Summary;

I took the engine last Saturday morning, to get a quote on installing new valve seats and checking the deck.  The guy talked me into taking the engine apart and baking and magnafluxing and stated that he would get back to me within a couple of days with some options as to how to proceed.  I was clear with the owner that I might decide to only do the valves as I believe the piston, rings are fine or decide after the estimate, not to do anything else to it at all.

As of today I had not received a call.  I called just now and the guy didn't recall meeting with me on Sat nor recalls the engine or the conversation.  I don't mind that he doesn't recall me or the conversation, but he proceeded to tell me that it's in the oven to bake know and he will call me in a couple of hours when its done....   what's concerning was that when I spend some time there on Saturday they were already taking it apart and stated that they will have it in the over that day, mangafluxed and back to me no later than Tuesday.

I seem to be getting a bad vibe. I'm I overthinking it?  Just wanted to inquire on other's experience with a machine shop.      I think if the guy would of simply been honest and say " My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, Let me check where the guys are on  with it.  Is it OK to get back to you by l close of business today?"   or something like that I would of felt a lot better about it.  

What's interested is that we spoke quite a bit on Saturday and reminiscing back on our old high school wrestling days etc...   

Hence why I love doing most of the work on my cars on my own.

Edited by 40desoto

On 7/10/2017 at 4:29 PM, dpollo said:

HRT is correct, Frank.   Yes they are.  3 7/16 by 4 1/4.

Believe it or not, 25 inch engines can be  201  218  228  236  241  251 and 265    ( this 201 was 3 3/8 bore by 3 3/4 stroke used in Canada 38 to maybe 40 )

23 inchers can be 201,  217  ( some call it a 218)   and 230   all depending on the bore and stroke combination.

I once owned a 218 23inch motor that 230 rotary assembly installed.  A friend of mine argued that it was a 218 because the numbers on the block referred to a 218. 

He thought he was smart to just google the numbers and prove me wrong...   LOL! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be picking up the engine from the shop.  I never heard back from the machine shop until I called them. I just don't  have the time and patience and have a bad gutt feeling.

The engine is completely disassembled and noticed was kept in any order according to the owner.  Other than the valves does anything else matter if it's kept in order?  

I was planning on the very least new valve guides, fixed exhaust valve seat, new valves, springs and getting the deck shaved to straighten.

Found a different machine shop that specializes in race engines that just did a Chrysler 25" block and was excited to hear what I had planned to do with mine. Gave me a verbal estimate over the phone that sounds reasonable.  I just feel comfortable when chatting with him over the phone.   We'll see.

3 hours ago, 40desoto said:

Found a different machine shop that specializes in race engines that just did a Chrysler 25" block and was excited to hear what I had planned to do with mine. Gave me a verbal estimate over the phone that sounds reasonable.  I just feel comfortable when chatting with him over the phone.   We'll see.

Go with your instincts.  Pay the first shop off and go home with a super clean block.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The  Engine is currently at a racing engine shop locally and the owner was open to conversation about the details and seemed excited about doing another mopar flathead.  The owner is very transparent about all the details and the price seemed fair. You don't find many people like this around So.Cal these days. 

I'll post a few more details of the work that the shop is doing to it and will post some pictures at the end.

Edited by 40desoto

One concern that I somewhat still have is that I will most likely not see the machine work done before he buttons it all up.  Even if I did see it i wouldn't know what I was looking for.

here is some details;

new pistons, valve seats, valves, springs, custom cam by a local cam shop, polished crank, lightened flywheel, shaved head , shaved deck (both where slightly warped)

the shop will be balancing the entire rotary assembly, putting everything back together, painting a light tan color.  I inquired about a dyno test and the owner seemed interestedin doing so  since it will have a aok triple, electronic ignition and possible an older aluminum Edmunds head (if my buddy can complete the repair soon) 

the shops concern of putting in the dyno was that they don't have a stand that will hold it and I offered my handmade stand.  It it works he might put it on the dyno.   I offered him extra cash for it to put it on the dyno and make sure they do whatever work is needed for it to be leak free. 

Edited by 40desoto