Convertible Top Cylinders

Mark D

I'm wondering if neoprene would be a good candidate for substitution of the leather seals in the top cylinders?  I read recently of a guy in Oregon that rebuilds vacuum wiper motors with this material as a substitution but I don't have any contact info.  I just sent a note to info@Hydro-E-Lectric.com to ask them for their opinion on rebuild, waiting now on their response.  I did try applying oil to the seals, and get a very slow retract with the system, but there is no closing ability at all.  Note that I replaced all steel and rubber lines 1:1.

Appreciate collective thoughts on this.

Mark D

Can you take the leather out and soak them over night?  wonder if some assembly prelub swiped onto the inside of the cylinders would also help the seal and make the travel a bit easier.  Just have to know if the composition of the lube would damage the leather.

Just read up on Bendix hydro vac brake boosters using leather in their vacuum system.  They say to lubricate with Bendix hydro vac oil.  Great you say where do you get that these days.  Drug store, or hardware store.  Get you some neetsfoot oil.  Soak, swab and go.

17 hours ago, greg g said:

Just read up on Bendix hydro vac brake boosters using leather in their vacuum system.  They say to lubricate with Bendix hydro vac oil.  Great you say where do you get that these days.  Drug store, or hardware store.  Get you some neetsfoot oil.  Soak, swab and go.

Too late for that my friend, applied some million year old dinosaur soup to them last weekend, this did revive the leather, but I believe the fault lies in the rubber beneath which no longer has the ability to push outward. I was thinking that if I am to disassemble the plates, that a single rubber neoprene or like casting may be an improvement.  Alternative would be to find a rubber O band that has the required diameter and thickness. Picture attached shows how the leather is pinched in place between the plates with the rubber behind it.  Maybe I will just try adding a thick rubber band behind the leather.

IMG_5353.JPG.f6fb36105c787bbbeeeb952030c83aa5.JPG

Edited by Mark D

Mark, I think the Hodro E Lectric Co in Florida sells a new vacuum cylinder......I believe those were used

on Cadillacs as well as old Mopars.  I don't know if water wells these days use any leather pump cups......but

someone once said to check on those as possible substitutes for the item you are working with.

Mark, I've never played with any of these type of seals but would it be worth taking the seal assembly to a shop that deals with tractor and plant equipment as they would have experience in rebuilding hydraulic pumps, etc.........they maybe able to advise of a modern replacement or similar, leathers fine but may have outlived its use in this type of thing...............dunno if this helps.......lol..........andyd