Water Lines Trickery

keithb7

Buttoning up my 1953 Windsor Deluxe L265 . I had a thought about the coolant hoses and their routing. The long hose, traced with a yellow line, goes from the water pump to the cab heater. Then same coolant flows out from the cab heater back to the block, to the brass tee as indicated by the red arrow, at the back of the head. My car will not see cold weather. The previous owner had the brass tee, with a tap on it, closed shut. So coolant was not circulating through the cab heater. Maybe I have it backwards? Maybe coolant flows from the brass fitting at the rear of the head, to the cab heater, then back to the water pump via the long hose? Not sure. 

At any rate, what I was thinking was, seeing as I never use the cab heater, why not route the hose from the water pump, directly to the back of the head to the brass fitting. Open the T valve in the fitting, and help circulate the coolant at the back of the head better. With that rear brass fitting closed off, there surely is less movement of coolant there, where the engine needs it the most.

Anyone see any reason no to do this? I am thinking it will help remove heat better at the rear of the head. Thoughts? Thx, Keith

rI7tuyxdkniYwksv5s7lITkvjRp3g439XbwhwMXN

Edited by keithb7

The purpose of the cabin heater is to heat so it draws water from the hottest spot and that is the rear of the engine head. The hot water circulates through the heater and is returned to the suction side of the water pump where it co mingles with the coolest water coming from the bottom of the radiator and makes another pass through the engine. 

Another function of the cabin heater is it acts as a small radiator and cools the hot engine water as it passes through the heater core there by increasing the cooling capacity of the radiator.

So in my opinion running the hottest water from the rear of the head directly to the suction side of the pump (by-passing the heater core) where it co mingles with the coolest water in the system will do nothing to make the engine run cooler. Better to run with the heater shutoff valve at the rear of the head closed.

• Like 1