Hairline crack near exhaust valve seat

40desoto

While cleaning out the intake and ehaust chambers on my engine, I noticed a slight hairline crack on the exhaust section of cylinder #2.  Would this be a cause for concern? And would be a recommended feasible corrective action?

9606395C-983D-4650-AD80-6F7CE14496E3_zps

Edited by 40desoto

New seat required.

Definitely a new exhaust seat required.  If the crack is wider than the new replacement seat, you can use a Lock-in-Stich kit from Turlock, CA.  There are some you tube videos that show this repair being performed.  I have personally used this product with complete success.

I am in agreement with other comments. That valve seat will not seal. I believe there is a stellite valve seat in your block. Interference fit.

Any more pics of the block with the head off? I am interested in hearing what would cause this crack. I would guess heat.

did not  have one crack but last week had an exhaust seat come completely out of my Kohler engine....explanations, none.  Ouija board did not return anything either, CSI would not respond to my inquiry.....reinstalled, and staked, check for concentric by lapping been cutting grass ever since........how long till it goes belly up..who knows...will probably source another OHV head assembly.

there is a process to install a valve seat that should likely be left to the machine shop...I would suggest you take a minute and inquire...ask some of your old car buddies for recommendations as a start....ask you local parts supplies who has been in the area the longest..often they have insight to the better shops for such services.  Good luck...

• Like 1

I would check the coolant distribution tube. The tube directs coolant up through the slots in the top toward the valve seats.  If that valves slot is plugged, it will run hotter the spec.  Replace the seat  but check the tube to assure it gets proper coolant flow

• Like 2

As stated above, a new seat is required.   It can be done in a home shop but it  is best left to a machine shop.

On 7/4/2017 at 7:29 PM, greg g said:

I would check the coolant distribution tube. The tube directs coolant up through the slots in the top toward the valve seats.  If that valves slot is plugged, it will run hotter the spec.  Replace the seat  but check the tube to assure it gets proper coolant flow

Doesn't appear that the distribution tube is clogged. This is the section right under the  exhaust valve with the crack. 

5C117FD0-36B0-46AC-A929-A085AD618CD8_zps

Edited by 40desoto
Double post

I would check the coolant distribution tube. The tube directs coolant up through the slots in the top toward the valve seats.  If that valves slot is plugged, it will run hotter the spec.  Replace the seat  but check the tube to assure it gets proper coolant fl

Edited by 40desoto