Falcon discs

Kiwicranbrook

Hey guys, any one from the southern hemisphere tried to put disc brakes from a falcon onto their Plymouth? My driver's side front brake drum has started making a grinding noise so I'm considering pulling the drums off and replacing with discs. I know the diffs fit well so I figure it will probably be cheaper to buy a whole car and do the front and rear if possible? Cheers

I don't see how buying a whole car,especially one that is rare like a Falcon with disc brakes, that is going to need everything related to the brakes rebuild or replaced is going to be cheaper than just buying all the brake parts new.

It especially makes no sense when you consider Falcons were smaller and lighter cars than a P-15.

The truth is I don't remember seeing or hearing of a Falcon ever being offered with a disc brake option.

Maybe Falcon's in NZ were different cars than the Falcons made in the US?

Knuckle.........whilst the last Ford Falcon in the USA was 1970 here in Oz they were made up until last year, 2016........the last Falcons made here used quad cam 450 horse V8's & 400 horse turbo 6's, independent rear ends & were a good match for KR500 Mustangs..............lol.............what Kiwicranbrook is referring to are the 11" vented disc brakes that were used on the late 60's thru to mid 70's Ford Falcons and were originally made by an Oz company called PBR..........I have had Leyland P76 11" vented disc brakes on my 1940 Dodge using 1941-56 style stub axles, the P76 rotors use a Ford bolt pattern, 1/2" UNF studs and the same bearings as the 1970-71 Oz Falcon.....I've had these P76 discs since about 1975 and use a P76 master cylinder & booster.....the diff I now use is a 1988-92 EA/EB Ford Falcon wagon diff, complete disc to disc, fitted straight onto the 1940 Dodge springs, had to redrill 2 of the 4 Falcon spring pads and used the Falcon U bolts....................have attached a couple of pics.......sorry no rear end pic..........Andy Douglas.

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks,Andy!

I was thinking the only Falcon's *I* could think of that might have came with disc brakes were a few special order Falcons with the 427 FE's or the 429 335 or 429 SOHC series engines. If any of you run across one of these Falcons cheap enough to buy to get the brakes off of it,I will gladly give you a couple of hundreds bucks for the rest of the car.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 2

Knuckle..........any 427 FE is mine............find one yourself!.......lol..........btw the SOHC was a 427 FE, the 429 I think you mean is the Boss 429.......again........any found are mine, MINE........lol........many yrs ago a mate turned up with a disassembled V8 in the trunk of his car...........never said where it came from but it was a cross bolted side oiler 427 FE......only one I've ever seen in the flesh.................anything like that over here is rare......tho'  I do also remember a restaurant in Sydney where I grew up that had a Ford 255 cube Indy Quad Cam engine in the bar area as a talking point, complete with its "bundle of snakes" exhaust and every bolt and nut lock wired.............it was brought in by a local speed shop who got a job lot from the US, this was in the late 70's and even now I can still remember this engine......it ended up going back to the USA a few months later..........lol........regards, andyd  

Haha don't panic knuckleharley I'm not cutting into any valuable classics. Falcons are a dime a dozen over here. Cheers for that info andydodge, so in theory the falcons front discs should be able to fit my 52 too? I'm just weighing up my options when you can buy an entire wrecked car for the price of the diff and maybe I can use a few more pieces before it gets an appointment with the crusher haha

Kiwi........not sure about the late model stuff........I think DBA make repo Falcon & P76 rotors etc........I used P76 because when Leyland went belly up in 1975 I could buy brand new complete disc & caliper sets for $15.00 a side...........I didn't use the 1940 stub axle but OZ 1962 Chrysler Royal stubs......which are the same as 1941 to 1956 US Plymouth & Dodge stub axles.........I had to get an inner bearing spacer made that also allowed the grease seal to run on it and had to cut the outer thread on the stub axle down about 1/2" further to allow the outer bearing to sit a bit further in on the stub, then drilled another split pin hole and cut about 1/2" off the end of the stub axle.......your 52 Plymouth stubs are the same as what I used, I still have the template of the caliper bracket and can also give you the inner spacer diamensions if you want but remember this is for P76 discs & calipers............one problem that you may want to check if going the way of late model discs is that the hub in the falcon rotor was made much larger and may not allow stock rims to fit although the bolt pattern is the same...............do you want to call me?...........I'm in Sth Grafton, NSW, near Coffs Harbour...........02 6642 5963 anytime is fine up to 10pm...........Andy Douglas   

"the last Falcons made here used quad cam 450 horse V8's & 400 horse turbo 6's, independent rear ends & were a good match for KR500 Mustangs..........."

Bwahahah... a far cry from the '63 Ford Falcon my parents had when I was a kid. Today that would be a Toyota Tercel at best.