54 Plymouth Plaza wagon fuel pump

49DODGEBOY

So I pulled this pump off my Plaza wagon today and need help sourcing one. Looks nothing like what I am used to, the drive arm is in a different direction compared to my '49 or my '50 218motor. Has a primer arm in it also. Any input appreciated. Rebuild carb, rebuilt distributor and now she fires and runs as long as I fuel it. Looks nothing like all parts stores on line.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

16 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

according to my fuel pump catalog the correct pump is an AC 9926 or the the AC 588.

rich Hartung

I take it no photos 

I've seen pumps with arms shaped like that shown which push against the cam from the pump side and also pumps in which the arm pushes against the cam from underneath or on the sump side of the cam.....I don't think it really matters as far as the operation of the pump is concerned tho'.......but I haven't ever seen a pump with what you have termed the primer arm.........new one on me.........andyd   

Clean it up and find any numbers on the pump body, then contact the good folks at Then and Now Automotive with pictures. They'll be able to identify it and tell you which rebuild kit you'll need to service it. 

I know I've contacted them via email, with pictures, in the past but I don't find an email link on their site now. http://www.then-now-auto.com/

Edited by Merle Coggins

Pumps changed according to what they were used in....... like 57 to 59  to clear the frame of the vehicle.   The engines did not change in the location and operation of the fuel pump so why not replace this pump with one designed  for a 54 Plymouth.  Carter M847 will work.

Edited by dpollo
correction of pump #
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

The engine it came from may be an Industrial model from a forklift or agricultural implement.  If the serial number begins with 'T' it's industrial.

No, it's a w engine, went thru that first. But who knows where that pump came from

10 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I've seen pumps with arms shaped like that shown which push against the cam from the pump side and also pumps in which the arm pushes against the cam from underneath or on the sump side of the cam.....I don't think it really matters as far as the operation of the pump is concerned tho'.......but I haven't ever seen a pump with what you have termed the primer arm.........new one on me.........andyd   

Thx Andy, that is my biggest concern. Makes me feel better.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Clean it up and find any numbers on the pump body, then contact the good folks at Then and Now Automotive with pictures. They'll be able to identify it and tell you which rebuild kit you'll need to service it. 

I know I've contacted them via email, with pictures, in the past but I don't find an email link on their site now. http://www.then-now-auto.com/

Thx for the lead, we be doing a bench tear down today.

Looks like a "make work" project when you can buy a new pump  but there is nothing inside that pump which is in any way unusual, so good luck with it.

• Like 1