Hearing accessory

pflaming

I'm just beginning to use a microphone streamer device. It is programmed to my hearing aid to stream (transmit) sound from a distance. If my wife carries it with her, I can hear her from any room in the house, I can place it by the TV speaker and hear that. It is supposed to transmit 90' in an auditorium or sanctuary if worn by the speaker, will experiment by attaching it to the primary mic and . . .  Most quality hearing aides offer this.  So far I'm thrilled. 

IMG_0196.JPG

• Like 1

I an very happy for you Paul and feel that this device will work well for you as Darlene is a lovely person.

But really... a device that lets a fella hear his wife all the time? That would rule out any excuse of 'selective hearing' when it comes to having to complete those 'honey-do' jobs! Sometimes a fella just needs some clear head-space! :D

• Like 1

I have work related hearing loss.  When I was first getting it diagnosed, the Dr. asked if I had trouble hearing women and children, because of their higher pitched voices.  That was before the audiogram, so I was in a quandary, do I tell him "yes" and get it fixed?  Or do I run with it as a reason, versus an excuse?  I was getting a little tired of "you're ignoring me", so I got the hearing aides.  I can hear better (high frequency hearing loss can't be fixed, you can only amplify the higher frequencies), but now I'm annoyed by women and children more often.  Go figure.    

Update: the up side is that I can wear it on my shirt and hear quite well and can place it in the center of a table and pick up what is being said. By focusing on any one person can hear that voice. The down side is that this is a powerful microphone and tires me out after a while. It is very helpful in a car. But it is not perfect hearing, one still has to concentrate to hear and that is tiring. 

Edit: since I have only one ear, I cannot tell from where the sound is coming which adds to the challenge. 

Edited by pflaming

That's interesting.  I have the same problem when I wear my hearing aides, so it's not just you  ;).  They amplify the higher pitches, but I still have to watch to see who is saying what, or what is making that noise.

• Like 1

I just got a pair back in April.  I only have them set up for about 70% of what the program recommended as my setting.  I only run them at level 2or3 on the volume, and still find them too loud especially where there is a lot of background noise restaurants, taverns, parties and such.  Had the treble toned down at the last check up.  Still sounds like its coming through a tin horn a lot.  But they beat saying huh? Say that again, Still can't hear people on the phone especially if they are using those dumb headset microphones in stead of using the hand set and speaker phone is the worst.  And why do people with so little to say, believe they need to speak so fast??

• Like 1