Hub cap restoration

BobB

Well, a nail to a tube was my clue that it was time to replace the decade old, dry rotted, bias tires that were on the truck when I got it. Coker has fixed me up with a set of bias-look radials, so I thought I should fix up the hub caps while I'm at it. A couple of questions:

1. Is there a product you can recommend for cleaning up and polishing the chrome caps?

2. Is there a paint that will adhere to chrome? I have the same problem with my Job Rated badge -- the paint starts to flake and then is almost gone. Do I need to rough up the area under the letter first?

3. Is there anything better than Rustoleum Rust Reformer for protecting the back sides of the caps after I sand most of the rust off?

Thanks for your help. A couple of pictures...

- Bob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rust reformer will stop the rust action once the major scale is removed and cleaned as best possible...or similar process of cleaning and use a bit better primer that is the rustoleum rusty metal primer.  This stuff stuff once cured and oil evaporated off the surface,  (read their website if you do not understand this)  a good topcoat sealer is best overall for longevity.  I have done many caps in this manner...

A thick coating POR 15 on the back of those hubcaps will solve the issue for a very very long time, I've been using this stuff for a few years now, and it's amazing for covering/converting and sealing rusty spots.  Little bit pricey, but it's hard as a rock after and doesn't scratch like paint and still remains fairly flexible.

As for the chrome or metal polish, I use Black Magic, sold at a lot of big truck shops for polishing tanks, rims etc on semi's...if paint is your preference, then a light sanding with 600 grit should get you enough grab without a bunch of sanding marks...but you could step it at 320..600...1200 then a good primer and paint.

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Sure shot paint can be used on the Hudson Hornet....

Thanks for trying to save it for me.  It didn't work but thanks for trying!  I did have a Dodge Super Bee in 1970, however.

9 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Wonder how sure shot would work on a Plymouth Cricket?

image001.gif

Got me good . . .

Bet I tried to squish your gnat 3 or 4 times before I figured out what you were up to.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the great info. Heading to Oreillys in a bit to pick up a few things. Got the Rust Converter from Lowes already.