Interior panels

I just got off the phone with John from Pilot House Interiors. He tells me he is out of business. We had a long chat about a lot of things; quite an affable guy. I got the impression if he had a motivated buyer he could be talked into creating any combination of panels, but that pricing is in the $4k range. $450.00 for door panels, but insists his materials and workmanship are top notch.

John mentioned that he bought his materials from "Your Auto Trim" out of Georgia. They carry Nassimi Fabrics, his fabric of choice. He mentioned two lines of fabric from Nassimi, Symphony Classic and Vintage Fabric - selling for ~$24/yard.

John's message to me was "you get what you pay for, but what you get you may in fact like".  He suggested I try to get samples from other vendors to see what the quality is. Do you think Roberts, DCM or others would be willing to send out fabric samples?

$450.00 for 2 truck door panels?

I'll pass... that's excessive.

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Id say so, I built mine with heavy grade marine vinyl and laminated panel board for about $50 a side and I much prefer them over the originals, as I made them cover the  door access panel.  If you do build your own panels, just be sure to use Weldwood Landau and trim adhesive, best stuff I have ever found, but no second chances once you stick either

I do understandreasonable  labor and material costs.....

Seeing charges as above forced me to do most all my own work...

B3D New Interior (5).JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I would tend to agree since I've never made upholstery panels or seats. I wonder if investing in an industrial sewing machine, teaching yourself the skills, investing time in practice and providing a hand made product using premium materials really justifies the $450.00 cost for two door panels. Contrast the involved costs with today's cost of living - do you think at those prices the guy is likely buying a vacation home in Aspen Colorado and lighting his cigars with hundred dollar bills?

Conversely, at Roberts $325.00 for the full interior kit it is likely the materials are low grade and most, if not all components are mass or machine produced rather than hand made. Don't get me wrong here, that may fill the bill for some, maybe even most. The more I think about this, the more likely I am to have a hand made interior using my own hands!

I have a lot of cars and trucks so for me It was very cost effective to buy and learn to use needed special tools like my industrial  phaffsewing machine and binder.

Roberts card board kits are not sealed against moisture  and they can warp and get wavy... but for those who are saving $$$ they work.

I know costs are going up producing products but like Ebay .lately  it seems a lot of people are listingh super high prices hoping they will get the big pay off.

It has turned me off of Ebay for sure. Tired of the hosers.

• Thanks 1