Trim clip and 12v headlights

Mattias78

Restoration specialty can help with the side trim clips...else it is so easy to make a metal inset with matching holes and fixed mounts and bolt on the trim instead of snap fit....this is how I attached mine...what with the cost IF you find a replacement and the ease it can be removed stock configuration...no brainer for me...

Headlights are standard PAR 56                7 inch units...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

take you cowl trim pice and go to a good auto supply pait store. Ask them for their sample plastic trim clips. Get one of the plastic clips to slide into the back of the trim and make sure that the other end has a plastic knob the size of the hole in the body you need to measure this before going.  The metal clips rust out and this is why the trims piesces especially the cowl trim are missing.  Also the steel rust and then leaves rust marks on the extrior paint.  The plstic clip dos not mark the paint and is easier to install.  I did this will all the clips on my 1939 Desoto. You just need to take some time to do a search stop using the old metal clips and use the new plastic clips also no one ever sees the clips once the trim is installed.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Check the classifieds, this site, the post "needed for 46-48 Plym."

Don't know if 48 & 49 trim is the same width but my response to

his post may help you out.

7 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

take you cowl trim pice and go to a good auto supply pait store. Ask them for their sample plastic trim clips. Get one of the plastic clips to slide into the back of the trim and make sure that the other end has a plastic knob the size of the hole in the body you need to measure this before going.  The metal clips rust out and this is why the trims piesces especially the cowl trim are missing.  Also the steel rust and then leaves rust marks on the extrior paint.  The plstic clip dos not mark the paint and is easier to install.  I did this will all the clips on my 1939 Desoto. You just need to take some time to do a search stop using the old metal clips and use the new plastic clips also no one ever sees the clips once the trim is installed.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I like your idea. A friend used scrap stainless trim pieces to make clips in order to avoid the rust issues you have mentioned.

As the Dr said, a 12v sealed beam fits...in fact 7" sealed beam headlights became virtually standard in US cars from 1940, and when I hot-rodded my 1940 Dodge I used 7" Bosch H4 headlights in it which were a standard fit on Volvos in the 1970's.........andyd  

• Like 1