Head torque question

pflaming

Engine is the 218 flathead. My truck manual states to torque the head hot. So then, how tight on the first torque? In the past I first snugged the bolts then torquesvto 50 psi then the final torque on a cold  engine.  Is there a correct way or just a preferred way? 

Really, what page in the manual? I have never seen them torqued hot.  I start at around 50, then work up to the final 72 (if  remember correctly) in three passes. Also make sure you follow the correct sequence, starting at the center and working outward in a circle. 

I think you're miss reading it. The hot sequence is for the final tighting sequence after it has been run and come up to operating temp.

• Like 1

Yes on the torch and start with page 278 with its misuse of the pronoun "this".  "This should be done with the  engine hot".  Should read, "With the  engine hot THIS should be done."  As written it sounds like a politician's "talking point"! 

Edited by pflaming

I spoke to George Asche a few months ago, and he said he does a cold torque of the bolts in 10 ft-lb increments, until reaching 70 ft-lbs, and then re-torques directly to 70 ft-lbs (no increments) when the engine is warmed up, and then again after 500 miles.  I guess he torques in such small increments to more evenly compress the gasket.  In any case, it seems to work for him, and he runs some pretty high-compression setups.  

Also, he uses Permatex Aviation Gasket sealer (brush-on type), presumably on both sides.  I looked up the Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer, and it seems there are at least two kinds.  One says it's part number No. 3D, and the other says 3H.  I'm not sure which one of these are what George was referring to, or if it was something else altogether.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this along, especially George's torque-up procedure.

• Like 3