1948 3 window business coupe

hempster

I bought a 1948 plymouth 3 window business coupe body number 713-3157 I can not find much info on the 1948 3 window  the 1950 is first year any real infromation is provided about the 3 window business coupe i would like to know what year was the first 3 window plymouth an how many came off the production line? and if any one can a body number 

Edited by hempster
miss spelling and added plymouth an removed my VIN number

I am not aware of  Plymouth 3 window coupe for that year as was the sister vehicles so configured....that feature did not come in until the 1949 second series as the first series is a carry over for the P15....as an owner of Plymouth P15 bz coupe, they are technically known as three passenger coupe but with 5 windows...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Plymouthy Adams the title says 1948 an the wheel base is 111 not the 117 could be DMV typo i did see that dodge was making the 3 window in 1947 

Edited by hempster
added info about the dodge

Casper VIN  numbers match i will be getting the engine number in next few days but it could be replaced and not original i did have my vin number posted then removed it 

people make errors daily, time compounds them.....if 111 wheelbase it is not a 1948 it will be a true 1949 commonly referred to as the second series or the true 1949 as it represents the new model year and new design...its designation will be P17  engine however if correct will be that of P18 as only one engine designation and that of the higher trim model for the model year.  Please post a picture of your bubble top coupe...

Well this is only image I have an it was restored at one time in the past so I have no clue if all parts are original or not but fromtbumper matches the discription of 1949 the original color was the dark green not this poop green an will be original again when completed or it will be blackberry metal flake 

image.jpeg

I plan to call DMV an ask them to trace the history of this title an find out all the owners and where it was first sold from if they have the ability 

you may be kicking a can of worms that should be left to die in the hot sun.....check with some of the local old car owners first to see if this would be a wise choice, I have no first hand knowledge of Illinois DMV but some states would lead to confiscation and destruction of misrepresented vehicle...especially if a vehicle ID tag has been changed or altered.

• Like 3

Almost every thing I see Is at least early 49 Plymouth. Some junkyard trim pieces on the lower hood front and mounted to the front gravel pan, but it's all 1949!

DJ

I agree plymouthy Adams I could be flirting with trouble but if any thing it's aDMV typo hitting 8 on accident that's why I want to get it fixed now or I might have the rarest 1948 3window and from what I can tell  the VIN tag has not been tampered with but if it is falsified the vin will come back to a totally different model some where in the past so I will start last time title change which was 1990 an go backwards to find out where the error or change happened the car had a bank lean against it and I got it for a fair price so blame the bank 

Edited by hempster

See the reply by B-Watson, it's ID is 14 on the topic. It shows the serial numbers for the corresponding years.

20 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

people make errors daily, time compounds them.....if 111 wheelbase it is not a 1948 it will be a true 1949 commonly referred to as the second series or the true 1949 as it represents the new model year and new design...its designation will be P17  engine however if correct will be that of P18 as only one engine designation and that of the higher trim model for the model year.  Please post a picture of your bubble top coupe...

21 hours ago, Silverdome said:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Picture please.

17 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Almost every thing I see Is at least early 49 Plymouth. Some junkyard trim pieces on the lower hood front and mounted to the front gravel pan, but it's all 1949!

DJ

The car is 1949 Dmv error years ago all fixed and was made in Detroit was number 2333 to. Roll off assembly line 

• Like 1

The car is 1949 Dmv error years ago all fixed and was made in Detroit is a P17 and :Dwas number 2333 to. Roll off assembly line 

Plymouth Adams I. Took the title in told them the issue and put the title in my name we will have to wait until title is returned to know if issue is fixed  

DJ 194950 the way I see it being the first series them piece you speak of might be original an lost later in production run as it turns out it's the Early 1949 the vertical bars on the bumper is used. On the 1950 model I got the. Car home today expect more pictures in near future if I am. Not to busy under the shade tree

Wording of "early 1949" is confusing as they still built P-15 models in early 1949 and called them 1949 but they are the same as 1946-1948 models.

I was saying that it could have been one of the first true 1949 models built therefore a low  production #'s of a P-17.

Sorry for the confusion.

DJ

Ok I have been confused since day one seems the motor has been replaced looks to be a p18.  I will get the full  number tomorrow .... What can one learn from that number .. I broke the hood release cable antook me half a day to figure how to get into the area to release the latch ...

Yes I seen it last night you just reminded me so please forgive my ignorance as you will tell over the process of my post I am the one of the five guys who admits I am the idiot with questions  :huh:

as you make discoveries or learn facts pertaining to your newly required model, I am not sure about you, but I start a notebook of all my cars and list these for future reference.   With the introduction of different wheelbases vehicles in 49 so was the model designator reflecting the chassis...this was true in 1950 and 51/52.  As the chassis went back to a single wheelbase in 1953 there was a single designation and engine number....in 1954 it got a bit confusing though still as single wheel base and single engine designation matching the chassis number, the introduction of the larger engine mid year got a special diamond prefix to the P25 engine designation for the 54 model year to denote the larger displacements, this was a one year only the Plymouth had flathead six in two displacements. 

• Like 1