Rear end swaps.

Hi all, Does anyone know if a rear end from a 1948 Chrysler Windsor will fit a 1953 B-3-C? I don't know if it would be usable as just a straight swap out or if the ring, pinion, and axles are what I am after? I am a new old guy when it comes to this stuff. Thanks, John

I would venture a guess that the axle widths are different. That being said, the differential assembly should bolt right into your axle housing. You will have to swap over the input drive flange from the truck diff. Also, you'll need to check the spline count on the axle shafts. Somewhere along the line the spline count changed. If this is the case you may be able to swap out the side gears in the differential too.

• Like 1

There are two things to look for when swapping these.

1) Make sure it has the same number of bolts/studs mounting the pumpkin to the axle housing. (I think they are either 10 or 11 hole)

2) You need to check the axle spline count of your truck and see if it matches the other. The only way to do this is to slide an axle out. There is a coarse (10) and a fine (16) spline style. 

I don't know if you can swap the pinion and ring gear between them or not, I've only done an entire center section swap. 

Look here: 

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 1

I thought the same thing, that it should be a B-4-C. Don Bunn's, Restorer & Collectors Reference Guide on these trucks show that Dodge was still shipping the B-3-C's into May of 1953 (pages 151 & 153). Therefore, I assume a B-3-C truck could still come with a 1953 title. Until I can prove otherwise I think I will stick with what my title and door tag state. It was a good question that is still a puzzle. Thanks my friend.

PS. I remember that back in the same era Harley-Davidson wouldn't empty their parts inventory when switching model years. They would use up any of the preceding years' parts that they could dispose of. It wouldn't be uncommon to have a number of early 1953 models still fitted with 1952 parts. In 1949 Harley changed over from the springer front end to the hydraulic unit. Still, there were a number of 49 units that were sold with the springer. Could Dodge, and other manufacturers have done similar?

54 minutes ago, John H. said:

I thought the same thing, that it should be a B-4-C. Don Bunn's, Restorer & Collectors Reference Guide on these trucks show that Dodge was still shipping the B-3-C's into May of 1953 (pages 151 & 153). Therefore, I assume a B-3-C truck could still come with a 1953 title. Until I can prove otherwise I think I will stick with what my title and door tag state. It was a good question that is still a puzzle. Thanks my friend.

PS. I remember that back in the same era Harley-Davidson wouldn't empty their parts inventory when switching model years. They would use up any of the preceding years' parts that they could dispose of. It wouldn't be uncommon to have a number of early 1953 models still fitted with 1952 parts. In 1949 Harley changed over from the springer front end to the hydraulic unit. Still, there were a number of 49 units that were sold with the springer. Could Dodge, and other manufacturers have done similar?

also keep in mind that folks maintaining this vehicle over the years may have had access to only an earlier model to keep it on the road......unless you have bought and owned the car its entire life, anything possible, anything goes...

I can vouch for the fact that some vehicles do not necessarily match "build date" to "title year".  My "1949" b1b has serial number 82084794, which indicates a build year of 1948, and build location of Detroit.  But since it was just a chassis and cowl, and shipped to New York for installation of the wood station wagon body, by the time Dad got it from the dealership it was January 1949.  Hence the Great State of New Jersey issued the Certificat of Ownership showing a year model of 1949.  

Not much has changed, as you can now order some models of automobiles as 2018 models.  Seems like the model year changes earlier each year. 

Edited by Frank's 49
That would be "Certificate" Nothing to do with felines!!