first time old car owner!

looking for a Canadian parts source for my 47 P15 coupe

stuff like tune up kits, carb rebuild, seat belt kit, ect

any ideas?

thanks

tim

my whip

IMG_8289.JPG

I'm in Canada. Interested in hearing any replies. Most of my parts come up from the USA. Andy Burnbaum or Rock Auto. Cheap it ain't. My recent last package cost $60 USD shipping fees. Additionally, $72 CAD due in taxes and customs handling fees upon pickup at my local post office. 

Edited by keithb7

10 hours ago, TimFX said:

First time poster!

first time old car owner!

looking for a Canadian parts source for my 47 P15 coupe

stuff like tune up kits, carb rebuild, seat belt kit, ect

any ideas?

thanks

tim

my whip

IMG_8289.JPG

Very nice car and welcome. You can get most tune up parts through Napa, though a lot more than the cost in the US. Carb rebuild kits for mine I have purchased from Mike' Carb packages are so light that shipping is reasonable. http://www.carburetor-parts.com/. I have ordered seat belts for different cars from http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/ good quality at reasonable prices.

You can check out local swap meets for some tune-up parts but old NOS are becoming harder to find.

I order a lot of parts (I like Rock Auto, but you have to be careful if you car is a Canadian model) and have them shipped to Port Huron, MI. There are businesses that cater to Canadians, for a mailing address, in Niagara Falls, NY  as well.

Welcome Tim, sounds like you need a friend that lives just across the border to drop ship your parts to.

12 hours ago, 1949 Goat said:

Very nice car and welcome. You can get most tune up parts through Napa, though a lot more than the cost in the US. Carb rebuild kits for mine I have purchased from Mike' Carb packages are so light that shipping is reasonable. http://www.carburetor-parts.com/. I have ordered seat belts for different cars from http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/ good quality at reasonable prices.

You can check out local swap meets for some tune-up parts but old NOS are becoming harder to find.

I order a lot of parts (I like Rock Auto, but you have to be careful if you car is a Canadian model) and have them shipped to Port Huron, MI. There are businesses that cater to Canadians, for a mailing address, in Niagara Falls, NY  as well.

How does one tell if the car was, indeed, made in Canada?

7 minutes ago, TimFX said:

How does one tell if the car was, indeed, made in Canada?

Does your car still have the manufacture plate on the firewall? Does your car have the long block 25 inch 218? try the serial number search here http://www.allpar.com/old/model-guide/

That is a very clean well looked after car! Nice find.

Edited by 1949 Goat

If the serial number starts with a 9, it is Canadian.    differences from a US model include  engine, radiator, universal joints, side glass (tempered)possible steering box location and length of column ..... not sure for P15  but certainly true for 49 to 52   Firewall tags, paint codes and colours.    

Try Dodge City Truck Parts in Ontario     Norm Pennie  in Vancouver   Ron Whiting in Coquitlam BC

1 hour ago, 1949 Goat said:

Does your car still have the manufacture plate on the firewall? Does your car have the long block 25 inch 218? try the serial number search here http://www.allpar.com/old/model-guide/

That is a very clean well looked after car! Nice find.

It does not have the plate. It's a Detroit car  tho the sereal number is higher than what the lists show. 

Its 119***** special Deluxe with a 23' head

47 cars from Detroit are 116 to 118

whats up with that?

9 hours ago, TimFX said:

It does not have the plate. It's a Detroit car  tho the sereal number is higher than what the lists show. 

Its 119***** special Deluxe with a 23' head

47 cars from Detroit are 116 to 118

whats up with that?

It looks like the numbers fall into the range of an early 1948 P15C Special Deluxe. You will probably find that the US distributor parts are different than the Canadian models so make sure you order the tune up stuff for the US model.

Edited by 1949 Goat

Numbers starting with "11" are for Detroit-built Plymouth Special DeLuxe models, "25" are for Los Angeles and "20" for Evansville, Indiana.  Canadian numbers started with "9".  Chrysler Corporation used serial numbers that were numeric sequences.  Nothing to be decoded, just check the number against the list of numbers issued by Chrysler to see where yours fit in.

So, for a Detroit-built Plymouth P15-C Special DeLuxe the serial numbers would be -

1946 - 11,496,001 to 11,643,103

1947 - 11,643,104 to 11,854.385

1948 - 11,854,386 to 12,066,019

1949 - 12,066,020 to 12,116,123

Chrysler's marketing people in the U.S. declared on December 1, 1948 that from that point all cars were now 1949 models.   In the case of Detroit for the P15-C Special DeLuxe, 12,066,020 was the first 1949 model.  They were still P15 models, and would be produced through to the 3rd week of January, 1949 although referred to as 1st series 1949 models.  The "real" 1949 models (P17 and P18) would go into production during the 2nd week of February. 1949.

In Canada, the P15 and the other postwar models were produced until the end of December, 1948.  And they were still sold as 1948 models.  No cars were built by Chrysler of Canada in January 1949 and the production of the "real" 1949 models began in February, 1949. 

• Like 1

Didn't see this place posted. Collector Auto Supply.  They have a terrible website but give Gregg a call i think they are out of Langley BC.  Found me a NOS pitman arm for my 38 shipped from the states but it saved me the extra hit on exchange on my credit card and they seem to have lots of stock locally as well.

http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/    International Toll Free: 800.414.4462