HRT Daily Driver

I've been wanting to build a B-series for a daily driver for quite some time - long enough that I have been collecting parts that I thought I would need for the project even though I didn't have my "perfect" truck to start the build. That has now changed....

Yesterday I went and picked up the first load of truck and parts of what I am going to use:

19243305_1412272912160749_41441741239575

That is a 1950 B-2-C with a completely restored chassis, rebuilt engine, 3 speed fluid drive, finished but unassembled bed and rear fenders. Not pictured is the first truck bed full of parts, and two other parts trucks that I get along with this deal.

My plan: Install a Chrysler 265 with dual carbs and dual exhaust, Spitfire head (mostly for looks), a decent camshaft, put a T5 transmission behind it and feed the power to a Ford 8.8 rear axle with 3.73 gears, locking diff, and disc brakes. Disc brakes up front as well. Since I intend on it being a daily driver that gets a LOT of miles put on her - I will add A/C, a modern radio, 12V negative ground system, LED lights, etc... for convenience and safety. Overall - I want it to look and feel like something that someone could have put together in the 50s, even though some of it is newer technology.

So, I'm starting this thread to document the journey with all its trials and tribulations, to look for advice and opinions (and I know I'll get some of both that I won't listen to! LOL). Hopefully this might inspire others in the quest to reach their goals with these awesome pieces of old iron.

• Like 3

So - my first real question as I am still sorting through parts and waiting for my next opportunity to go collect the rest of my bounty: When I was picking this up the previous owner that had begun the restoration told me that this was a "Holiday Special" - was that a thing for these B-series trucks and what does that mean? I know I've seen and read things about special versions of these, but I'm not familiar with any of them in enough detail to talk about.

Just a quick little update to keep my notes documented somewhere.

Dual carb/dual exhaust with correct matching E9K1 carbs. The need rebuilt, air governors removed and tossed (someone already pulled the butterflies). Engine needs appropriately identified - I know it came out of a fire truck - but the casting isn't stamped (it doesn't even look like it was ever machined on the pad where they are normally stamped.... replacement block maybe??) I also have a IND265 with 300 some hours on it out of an Oliver combine and several "Spitfire" heads to help the engine compartment look like a factory hot rod might have looked.

59516e1390e91_DualCarbsandDualExhaust.jpg.7c57295b271ad0a64e91cb979fbcaf51.jpg

Years ago I bought several T5 transmissions - one of which was a "World Class" Camaro transmission (1352-247) - its a bit of an odd ball because it is a Chevy with the Ford bolt pattern on it... but it has a nice gear spacing that I think would work well for a daily driver behind one of these engines. With the 3.73 gears in the rear and a 29" tall tire (probably something close to a 225/75R16...) will give me something that looks like this as far as speed and RPMs go:

Speed.JPG.8794bd69e20c3fa3fedb0f2cee3fbacf.JPG

Undecided if I take the gears out and plop them into a World Class S10 box, or just get an adapter that works with the Camaro box, or just find a complete World Class S10 box and use that.... it looks like the 1352-216 should be pretty common and would give similar results to the Camaro box:speed2.JPG.e678ce19decd443f4353f0509d92b2fc.JPG

I do not think that an S-10  ever had a world class T-5. But you can take the tail stock from a non world class T-5 with the desirable shifter location and graft it to a world class T-5 of your choice. A google search will show that this has been done many times.

The S10 had World Class T5 transmissions in 1993 and not all of them are World Class. I bought the Camaro transmission with the intention of swapping over an S10 tail onto it... in fact I have one... but I have heard of some oiling issues created by doing so - I need to look into more details. Besides.... this Camaro trans is weird.... it has the Ford bolt pattern, while having the longer Chevy input shaft..... it might be a pain to adapt cleanly. I'm just trying to weigh all my options to get the best result for something I plan on putting at least 20K miles a year on.

Hotrod,

Search John T53 and look at his T5 swap. He did a WC T5 with the Camaro case, S10 tailhousing etc. He is a nice guy and helped me a lot with mine. His post should answer most of your questions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Love it, great plan, not my trans choice, but not my dollar or truck..........LOL

I look forward to your build......

So for discussion sake - What would be your trans choice for a daily driver capable of highway speeds and lots of miles a year?

So after I went to the local 4th of July car show to drool on some vintage iron (including two 48-50 Pilothouse hot rods, at least one was a full Dakota swap), I went home to start moving and organizing parts to see what I have and what I don't have. I still need to do some work on the organization, but I did take a stab at powerwashing the big chunks of dirt off the chassis and the bed pieces. I'm thinking I need to assemble the bed just so I have less risk at damaging all the individual parts.

Its almost a shame that I'm not using this engine, transmission, or rear end.... lol

20170704_190210.jpg.88ffd163de4ced778777ae7cb52be2ad.jpg20170704_190223.jpg.05f176a27b13067497e51d7846c41a01.jpg20170704_190257.jpg.b809c13078fba114c43198df822e374e.jpg20170704_190318.jpg.771ca8df69a92b54d90ca371ede60b55.jpg

• Like 2