218 engine oil capacity

I always thought they took 6 quarts total (with a filter). 5 quarts for the engine plus 1 additional quart if you change the filter and drain the filter housing completely.

I always use a 1 quart bottle pump to pump the oil out of the filter housing. Then I put the new element in and fill the housing with 1 quart of new oil before putting the top back on. 

This is from a B3B Drivers Manual:

5951357b0fb1b_oilchange.png.3447d54001bd4b14fa4356c6202b72dd.png

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 1

I guess we all make mistakes sometimes Mr. Oil Soup man. Thing is, most adults would use adult langauge and not resort to name calling such as you have done.  By the way how much experience do you have working on old Mopar products.  Have a nice day.

Name calling??? Did I miss something??? Oil Soups post was pretty much a rhyme, don't see much that deserves the above lines.  lol

Curious...who changes oil without changing the filter anyway?? Unless your doing a job like the pan that requires the oil dropped, but even then I'd start from scratch.

My p15 manual which covers up to P20 specifies 5 quarts plus one when changing the filter.  In the 60's most owner manual spec's changing the filter every other oil change.  Most brands showed up that way in the Sunoco lubrication charts I worked with at my high school years job at the Sunoco station.  The Sunoco station was the place to be on Friday evening and Sunday mornings as the dirt track racers always based up their modifiers for Friday night races and drag racers on Sunday AM. Everybody it seems wanted that Blue Sunoco 104 octain for their cars.  So put in 5 QTS, run it and check it.

10 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I just changed my oil on 251 industrial and it took 4 liters and never put any inside the canister when I changed that and it still shows full on the dipstick. 

As in you changed the filter, but didn't drain/suck the old oil out of it?

3 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

As in you changed the filter, but didn't drain/suck the old oil out of it?

No all the old oil was drain out and sucked out. I have had it running a few times since then and still oil nice a clear. 

Not all dip sticks are the same. Over the rears a different one could have installed in  your engine. Suggest you drain the oil in the oil pan and add 5 quarts. Then prior to starting the engine take a dip stick reading. If the stick does not read full than use a cold chisel to make a new full mark on the dip,stick and you should be good to go.

Dipsticks.jpg