WWW Tires - Tubes ??

48Windsor

I'm finally getting around to putting tires on my 48 Windsor. As much as I hate to spend the $, I'm about to break for Coker wide white radials.  One of the tire guys said I should put tubes in the new tires.  I'm running stock rims. The 40 year old tires are 710 x 15 Allstate Sears .  I believe it came out with 760 x 15.  Do I need to put tubes in radials.?? Thought I read somewhere that isn't recommended. I'm looking 225 75 25 according to the conversion charts. 

I know theres a lot of different opinions on width, sizes, brands. Just wondering about the tube thing.

Thanks

Tom B 

Since you are going with Coker I would suggest that you call them directly and talk with them. Since they are the ones that know their tires and the new radial style they would be better at giving you the correct answer. Be safe and a call is alot safer than relying on input from the forum members.

There also might be a specific tube that is used with radials vs the old style tube that was used with bis ply tires.  

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Before you mount them with tubes, check the inside of the tires to make sure there are no mylar bar code stickers left in the tire.  They are typically on the side wall area.  If left over time chaff the tubes eventually leading to holes and flat tires.  This has happened to a couple members of this forum and several other folks I have spoken with.  Cocker does not mention this in their mounting instructions and takes no responsibility for any failures leaving them in may cause.  I also remember from having tubed tires mounted the installer using baby powder or cornstarch as a buffer to prevent stiction between tireand tube. Probably more of a concern with radials as they by design have more side wall flex and sidewall movement than bias ply tires.  Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Two years ago I bought Coker WWW radials and had them mounted on my stock rims with no tubes.  They have held air since. Only one rim gave me a little trouble, it had an elongated opening for the stem and was tough to seal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, greg g said:

Before you mount them with tubes, check the inside of the tires to make sure there are no mylar bar code stickers left in the tire.  They are typically on the side wall area.  If left over time chaff the tubes eventually leading to holes and flat tires.  This has happened to a couple members of this forum and several other folks I have spoken with.  Cocker does not mention this in their mounting instructions and takes no responsibility for any failures leaving them in may cause.  I also remember from having tubed tires mounted the installer using baby powder or cornstarch as a buffer to prevent stiction between tireand tube. Probably more of a concern with radials as they by design have more side wall flex and sidewall movement than bias ply tires.  Good luck with your decision.

I strongly second all of the above.

Additionally as implied elsewhere, I strongly recommend Diamdbacks if you still have that option.

• Like 2

One tip I didn't mention is to clean off any of the blue protective coating on the bead of the tire before  mounting. I did not and it bled out after the first 3 or 4 washing and in the rain. It goes away, but was a little messy for a bit.

Bob

I have them with tubes,  they forgot to mention the mylar tags,  tons of flats.  Also,  they are narrow, so be prepared for car to wander at interstate speed.  I found that the 16 inch rims  are hard to find them true, and balancing is a recurring problem.  Im switching to 15 inch with a wider tire.  Greg and I were in Vermont when the flat tire issue bit 4 cars at the same time.  Mark

note to busycoupe---- I have a rim with the elongated valve stem opening. I got the proper valve stem from a tire guy near me, no leaks. they are metal . I can get you a couple, but I do know you can find them on line. I have one spare right now, and I can get more.   capt den 

I think some truck stops may have those oval hole valve stems. I would also check with an independent  tire store for

oval base stems......as sometimes chain stores like Firestone, Sears, etc, may not have something old style and unusual

like that.    There are radial tubes specifically for use in radial tires......I get them at my local independent tire shop.  I have used tubes in my tires, both bias ply and now radial for many years and had no problems.  My reason for using them is that I have a set of 1955 vintage Chrysler wire spoke wheels which could possibly seep air due to the spokes joining to the rim.

I bought new B F Goodrich branded radial www's from Coker (I personally am not fond of their house brand tires, even

though they cost a little less).  The BFG's sell for about $250 each.  I use the 215 x 15 size on my 47 Plymouth.....so the

225 would probably be better for your Chrysler since it's bigger.       One other thing I have done is:  I got the wide tread 215 x 15 tires for the four wheels on the ground.  Then.....for my spare I purchased ONE of the new radials that are narrow and look like the old bias ply style......I think it's sized as 670-R-15.  I did this so it would fit into my spare tire well, since theywere

designed for those old narrow tires.  So, all my tires are radials in the final analysis.

Below::Old and new bias style tires side by side.......height, width very similar.  Old tire on the rim....new unmounted.  A 3 inch wide whitewall.  The white is a little narrower on the BFG tires.  The spare is an American Classic.

DSC07009.jpg

DSC07008.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

• 4 months later...

I found valve stems at Summit Racing for $1.97 each that worked great. Part number 100 7786.

They are 3/4" round but fit just fine in the 3/4" x 5/8" oval holes. I've had mine in for awhile with no leaks. 

The stainless valve stem covers fit on them great.

--Brian