Oil pressure fluctuating....

laynrubber

So  engine has been rebuilt, all new bearings, clearances checked, and things torqued as spec'. New oil pump.

Problem is the oil pressure climbs to 40 psi during high idle but then slowly bleeds back to what might be zero....or way too low for comfort. It fluctuates .... rev the engine and pressure climbs but bleeds back, then climbs. I bled the oil pressure line to the gauge and I got lots of air bubbles....as the  engine was running at high idle I cracked the line and bled it for maybe ten minutes. Lots of air that that just didn't seem to stop. At first I thought maybe my relief valve maybe was faulty until I saw the air in the pressure line. The engine has an oil filter, no leaks evident with that.

Tonight I pulled the pan to check the pick up tube. It is a pipe thread but very tight. I did fail by using teflon tape on the threads and it has turned to mush and so reinstalling I will use a pipe thread sealant. I am not convinced the pick up tube was sucking air.

Any other suggestions ?????

Edited by laynrubber

Maybe the pickup float adjustable tangs ( drop and height) are out of adjustment?

Mainly the height adjustment tang......

019.JPG

So the pick up is floating or sitting too high ? Maybe ..... before I put the pan back on I will check that, and once pan is going into place I will try to look inside. Thanks.

Also to note I am using Rotella T 10w30, 5 litres.

Edited by laynrubber

5 hours ago, laynrubber said:

So the pick up is floating or sitting too high ? Maybe ..... before I put the pan back on I will check that, and once pan is going into place I will try to look inside. Thanks.

Also to note I am using Rotella T 10w30, 5 litres.

5 litres or 5 quarts?  

Hoping you have  oil registering to the "full" mark on the dipstick.....

UPDATE...FIXED. 

Must have been my failure at using teflon tape on the pipe threads as it had turned to slime. Pick up tube was tight but must have still sucked air. Use a pipe  thread sealant and gronched it back tight. Fired it up tonight....high idle 40 psi rock steady !

Don't use teflon tape for oil wetted parts.

• Like 2

Good going!

Congrats on your fix!

Sorry to hijack your post, but since the oil level was mentioned, I have to ask, is it bad for the engine to have too much oil? it currently sits a bit above the full mark on the dipstick...

Fede....if the oil level is too high the rotating parts will impact the oil and will cause foaming. Might lead to more oil out the breather pipe. If it is high but not touching the rotating parts I see no issues.