Bernbaum, thumbs up

48ply1stcar

Eventhough, I already made this statement in my thread "Starting to Dive into the Deep End, Front Suspension."  I put off working on the front suspension until I finished the headliner and leaf springs.  Because I had never worked on the front suspenion.  I disassembled the steering knuckle, cleaned the parts, and brought  them to a shop that specializes in alignment and frame straightening.  The new kingpin from Berbaum was too large.  0.800" diameter when it should have been 0.795" diameter.   Without hesitation, the person on the phone said that they would send out another set.  Thanks Bernbaum. 

I ordered several items for my '39 D11 a couple of years ago. Only recently tried to put the new excelerator pedal on, wrong one. Called Bernbaum today, afraid I was out of luck because of a 2 year old order. No problem they said, send it back with a picture of your old one, if possible. We will make it right. I like dealing with people like that. Thanks AB.

• Like 1

Last week I ordered a new head gasket for my '53 L265 from Bernbaum. Pleasantly surprised to find a brand new old stock from the 50's. Still in the original packing. 

Andy B knew his stuff but had a junk yard attitude after 50 years of talking about the same parts to people who have no idea what they are talking about i get it.

he was very knowledgeable the new owner Chris is not quite as knowledgeable but is learning. i have had better experiences with other vendors. when you call there are long hold times. and if you dont get Chris on the phone its like pulling teeth, and they have new guys who dont know much . there is a father and son who works there and they are quite knowledgeable. 

5 hours ago, RALPHDEI said:

25 years ago I bought $300. worth of window rubber from Andy Bernbum that standard size glass would not fit into, I'm still waiting for a refund or the correct rubber for my 48

You might want to let that one go.

• Like 1

A few years ago I bought a set of four brake shoes from Andy but didn't mount them for at least two years.  There was a pretty hefty core charge at the time, but Andy took my old shoes back after the install and credited my credit card the full core charge.  Being local, I got to know Andy over 30 plus years and I had nothing but good dealings with him.  That said, Chris and his crew doesn't know me from Adam, but I've had first class service from them, too.  If something's not right, they'll take care of it. I'd rather pay a couple bucks more to Bernbaum's for hard parts and know I have some recourse than go to the cheapest vendor on ebay and take my chances.

• Like 4

andy sold the business and is not there anymore.i have bought parts from him.hot/cold dealings, but I always got the part I wanted if he had it.i purchased my current car, a 54 Chrysler convertible, from him and that was a pleasant experience with him. he had a beautiful home at that time. he had a 1961 chrysler convertible in the driveway, the model with 4 bucket seats. also, 2 town and country convertibles in the garage next to the 54 I bought. I have not bought any parts from bernbaum in a long time. I need universals if anybody has a lead.   capt den

2 hours ago, captden29 said:

andy sold the business and is not there anymore.i have bought parts from him.hot/cold dealings, but I always got the part I wanted if he had it.i purchased my current car, a 54 Chrysler convertible, from him and that was a pleasant experience with him. he had a beautiful home at that time. he had a 1961 chrysler convertible in the driveway, the model with 4 bucket seats. also, 2 town and country convertibles in the garage next to the 54 I bought. I have not bought any parts from bernbaum in a long time. I need universals if anybody has a lead.   capt den

Hi Capt Den.  One evening the summer of '80, my '57 New Yorker convert was at Belmont Getty for service, on the apron with Andy's Town and Country and his (now your) yellow '54.  Would have been a great photo - a scene from an earlier time!  Small world.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Andy B is still out in the flea markets. Last October I had a conversation with Andy while walking the Hershey fall event.  Andy is still buying parts but I think they are for his specific projects.  Yes, Andy could have been hard to deal with but he knew his stuff.

He was trying to get Chris the new owner to keep puchasing NOS parts to keep up the inventory of the older parts.

If you think Andy was difficult then you should have had dealing with Frank Mitchell.

Rich Hartung

I have been dealing with Andy Bernbaum since the late 1980's and considering that I am here in Oz, 12000 miles away he had always been helpful and likewise so have the new guys........parts have always been packed well, sent promptly and correctly..................BUT, if you really want to get reamed buy from those dropkicks at Steele Rubber, I wouldn't give them the steam off my ****..................AB's are o/k in my book........Andy Douglas..