New to older cars

Cooper

Hi I'm working on rebuilding my 47 dodge coupe. I'm looking for suggestions on a new wiring harness. Where to order, good diagrams etc. grateful for any help!

Are  you restoring the car and looking for a harness with cloth-covered wires,or just fixing it up and looking for a generic wiring harness?

I would like to restore with the cloth covered harness. Unless there's a big price difference between that and the generic. 

13 minutes ago, Cooper said:

I would like to restore with the cloth covered harness. Unless there's a big price difference between that and the generic. 

If you do go with modern plastic coated wires,you need to keep in mind that 6 volt systems draw a LOT more amps than 12 volt systems,so make sure you tell the people you are shopping with/buying from that you will be running a 6volt positive ground system to make sure the wires they provide are heavy enough.

This probably sounds worse to you than it really is. No,your dash wiring won't be useful for arc welding leads. The heavy loads are on your battery cables,so make sure you get the correct ones.  Any vendor that sells new and reproduction wiring harness will know exactly what you need and quote you a price for it. They are a little more expensive because there is more copper in them,but nothing to be afraid of.

I rewired our ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe club coupe using Ron Francis Wiring’s “Git It Runnin’” harness. It’s been in the car for a few years, and I’ve had absolutely no problems. The car is 6v, but was changed, (deliberately, or accidently—who knows) to negative ground, but since it worked just fine when we got it, I left it that way. Ron Francis’ products are top-notch, and their technical support is also top-notch. The car wasn’t a concours restoration when we got it, and it isn’t now, either. It’s a driver, and I’m more interested in dependability, and safety, than I am in originality, outwardly it appears original, and that’s what we’re after. Just a tho’t . . .

• Like 1

My 48 Plymouth is 12V and I used a Rebel Wire 9+3 kit. http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire Kits

Even though it was my first re-wire job, it was an easy installation, all the wires are marked every few inches with exactly what they are.