P235/75R15 Fit on my 48 ply special Deluxe

Jarv69

I wanted to throw this out there, looked around but didn't see a solid answer. I found a screaming deal on some brand new P235/75R15 wide whitewall tires and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this size fitting,  I'm pretty sure we're good on the back but the fronts im concerned with rub when turning any help is appreciated. Thanks 

Edited by Jarv69

If it were me I would be temped to run something like 205 or 215's up front. Radials grip much better than the old nylon tires,and you don't have power steering.

When I had my 41 Plymouth Coupe I used Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies 15x6 and 15x7 with 195/70 and 235/70 tyres and did not have any issue with front or back fender or inner wheel well clearances even with the car lowered 2" all round.........I'd think that anything over 215 on the front would be a little too wide, but that's just me, the 195 were great, these were Coker Classic radials and the rims were the standard offset that the Chrome Smoothies came with.....the difference to the old crossplies was amazing, I had forgotten what a PITA crossplies are..........lol........everyone should be made to drive with them once  just to realize what a difference and improvement radials are......my Oz 2 cents worth........lol...........andyd  

• Like 2

Jarv.......if you are using the stock width 15" rims then I'd be putting 195/75 size tyres at the most, but that's just my thoughts.......check with a couple of tyre companies like Coker and similar ones & see what they recommend.........might be worth measuring your rims to be certain of what you have..........if you want to run the stock hubcaps you might find that early 50's mopars may use similar style hubcap attachment setup but a slightly wider rim to allow wider tyres............andyd  

• Like 1

We have 205/75Rx15 tires all around on a ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe club coupe. The car had 5”x6” after-market wire wheels with what I assume have the same, or almost the same, offset as the original wheels. Since I don’t have, and never had, the originals, that’s only a SWAG . . .  Anyway, on the back, there’s only an inch of clearance between the tires and their respective rear fender, and with radials, that’s about minimum for my comfort. As for the front, I wouldn’t want anything any wider, since turning at slow speeds is enough of a project that I don’t want to exacerbate that situation with larger tires. Clearance between the front tires and the front fenders is more than ample, but the car sits at, or near, stock height.

Running 225 75 on after market rims. Fit is close and I used to get some tire rub with a full trunk and gas tank when packed for road trip, on sharp turns.  Put new spring shackle bushings on, most rub dissapeared.  I tried 235's had to pry spring down to get wheel tire to  clear going on.  Running 205 75 fronts.  The 4 1/2 inch rims are " not recommended" 235's 5 inch probably the minium for 235's. Just an advisory.

Edited by greg g

that would be pushing the limit for the stock rim.....it would also be quite close to pushing the limit on wheel well lip....with a little later wheel you would have better profile of the tire....still cannot say what the fit will be...be sure you have the ability to jack that sucker up in the rear for install/removal..

I had Michelin 215/75R15's on stock 15x4 1/2" rims on my '50 P20.  They were put on by the previous owner. They were ok with fender clearance, but they were pushing the limit of the stock rim width...had premature sidewall cracking, and they made it really difficult to steer at slow speeds.   235's would be far too wide I think.  Like Andydodge says, 195 would be about as wide as I'd go on stock rims.      

Edited by st63

Hey jarv69,

Here are  a few pics of my 48 SD with the tires you want, except they are not whitewalls. They came with the car and were old and they rubbed so I repaced them with 205/75/15's. I like the 205's better, looks nicer. Just need to lower the front end about 2 inches.

Joe

48 02.jpg

48 07.jpg

Edited by soth122003

This was with the 195 & 235 radials and 6" & 7 " rims, no rubbing anywhere and much improved steering and handling.........andyd   

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

Those sure are pretty tires/

Coker?

Yep, Coker Classic Radials, had no issues with them & ran them at 35psi............made a huge improvement to how it ran down the road.......civilized..........lol.........andyd

• 2 years later...

Hi Andydodge,

I have a 48 Plymouth Business Coupe. I have it lowered 3 inches I was curious what the backspacing on your 7 inch rims were. I would also like to run 235's on the rear. Are they 235/75r/15s or 235/70r/15s. 

By the way, your car is awesome looking. I have a 70 nova that color. My 48 is still in primer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I went with Coker radials on my '53. 225/75R15. I had removed bias ply tires. I do love the radials on this car. Much preferred over the old bias tires. Smoother ride. Easier steering. Less tugging and following the road ruts. Saying that I just ordered 6.00-16 skinny little bias tires for my '38. More authentic look for it I think. No white walls either in '38. I guess I'll have 1 car of each type of tire.

IMG_3622 (1).jpg

Edited by keithb7

56 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I went with Coker radials on my '53. 225/75R15. I had removed bias ply tires. I do love the radials on this car. Much preferred over the old bias tires. Smoother ride. Easier steering. Less tugging and following the road ruts. Saying that I just ordered 6.00-16 skinny little bias tires for my '38. More authentic look for it I think. No white walls either in '38. I guess I'll have 1 car of each type of tire.

IMG_3622 (1).jpg

56 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

IMG_3622 (1).jpg

Hi Keith,

Not sure what I did here, but somehow I posted your car. Nice looking car. I to am looking forward to putting radials on my car so I my car does not follow the ruts in the roadway.

I sold the 41 Plymouth 6 yrs ago but from memory the tyres were as I've indicated, 195/70 x15 & 235/70 x 15 but may have been 75 series but it was a while ago...as for the backspacing the wheels were the standard offset that Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies in 6" and 7" came in, I think that they were centred, so 3" and 3.5" but can't be certain tho' however they fitted the car perfectly with one cut coil in front and 2" lowering blocks on the rear........and yep I still regret selling it, tho still have the 'ol brown ******* to clean out the cobwebs...........andyd  

On stock wheels those will be too big. 205/75r15 is about the limit for stock wheels. I’m running 15x7 police wheels with 225’s with no problems other than wheel covers popping off. Tried silicone and that seems to work. The 225’s are closest to the correct diameter to the original bias tires. 

P225 what's?  the 225 refers to the section width not the height.  A P225/50R15 is not as tall as a P225/70R15.

P255/60R15's are within a fraction of an inch of the height of the stock tires on my 51,  But I won't be running any 15's anyway.  Looking at P255/50R17's on steelies with Moon Discs.

Thanks for the chart 48ply. That will help.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was able to borrow a rim (15x7) Police Car rim from a friend of mine.. I will be mounting a 235/75r/15 on it tomorrow and mounting it on the car. I will let ya'll know how it fits. 

I mounted the 235/75r/15 on the 7 inch rim. The tire fit like a glove. I have about an inch clearance between the fender and 1 3/4 in the rear. I believe the backspacing is 4 inches on that rim.

I shook the car side to side to see how much deflection between the leaf springs rolling and the sidewall of the tire shifting. None of the movement caused it to rub. It fills up the fender opening nice.

I will post pictures once I buy some tires and mount them.

Thanks for the help.