The real skinny

Wayf 51

So, can someone give me a blow-by-blow description of how to adjust the external contracting emergency brake ('51 Wayfarer). Manual is a bit vague in spots.

Many thanks.

Fred

I'm not sure there is a correct way to do it. I start on passenger side and tighten the bolt until a heavy piece of paper will just slide between the drum and the lining right under the bolt. Then I'll tighten up the "T" bolt until the lower half of the drum rubs on lining. Then I'll tighten the upper half limiter until the paper just slides between the top half of the lining and the drum. Then I'll go back to the "T" bolt and tighten till the paper just slides between the lower half of the drum and lining. I'll paper check it everywhere and make little adjustments as needed then put the safety wire back on the passenger side bolt.

• Like 5

Thanks, plyroadking, for breaking down the process: and I agree, medium_john, that plyroadking's explanation is clearer than the manual's.

Thanks to both of you. I'm on it!